OMG Beauty Queen at 11

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cute nails

Reaction score
:mad:I watched a program on Thursday eve about a 11 year old girl who went to America and entered a beauty queen contest, It relay shocked me.

I am sorry if i upset any one but what mum in there right mind would allow a 11 year old girl to have acrylic nails put on ( the nails were from nail bars we dont like very much). I can except the spray tans and make up but the hair bleach and nail extensions wound me up.

Do they not know the damage that can be caused by allowing them to have nails at such a young age, My daughter is 10 and has started to ask for them and my reply is NO NO NO.

When I was talking to my daughter about the nails she told me some of her Friends at school have them, I was again shocked that this happens. My little girl will not be getting nails until she leaves School.

It would be interesting to hear other nail techs views about young girls (still babies really) having Acrylic Nails, and should they be band to kids under a certain age or not.

Nail enhancements are a luxury intended for ADULT women and NOT children.
I am VERY against it.
For the rarest of situations I might say ok. In other words, a child trying to stop biting her nails. Natural and VERY short with VERY regular maintenance and only for as long as it takes her to stop putting her fingers in her mouth BUT this is not a suitable method for all children. Some simply are NOT mature enough to understand the upkeep and care and will just pick at them, and damage their natural nails.

I am also against these pageants in general.
I'm all for children looking like CHILDREN.
Seeing little girls gussied up like miniature adults SICKENS me.
Childhood is so short, why rush it?
The entire pageant world upsets my stomach... but to each his own.
I'm not even a fan of 'adult' pageants.
They place all sorts of stress on people, promote 'looks' that can be unhealthy for many in their attempts to achieve these same looks.
I personally feel that pageants based on appearance (for they mostly are) should end. They objectify women. No one hears of pageants of little boys. I wonder why.....:confused:

ok, rant over, sorry. Got on a tangent there.
So no, I do NOT think nail enhancements, spray tans, makeup nor hair dye is suitable for children.
Utterly innapropriate. I would love to see a line drawn somewhere!

My own rule is not to do extensions for anyone under 16. If under 18 I just ensure a parent is aware. Also, I agree with you about the 11 year old, You only get one childhood and until your an adult you dont appreciate how special that is.

OMG...i watched this and was disgusted...the little girl wasnt even wanting it done really....especially the bleeched hair that came a across blatently when the model agency turned her down for looking older than what she was.
I was totally shocked at it!!

My own rule is not to do extensions for anyone under 16. If under 18 I just ensure a parent is aware. Also, I agree with you about the 11 year old, You only get one childhood and until your an adult you dont appreciate how special that is.

I totally agree the only time i will apply nails to under 18 is for proms and then mums must be present. An age limit should be made by the law,unfortunately non standard nail salons will put nails on and take money no matter what age the child is, unfortunately children are being pushed to grow up to quickly.

OMG...i watched this and was disgusted...the little girl wasnt even wanting it done really....especially the bleeched hair that came a across blatently when the model agency turned her down for looking older than what she was.
I was totally shocked at it!!

That bit made me laugh as the mums face was so shocked, and did you see how upset she was when she did not win or even come close to winning, but at least her son won lol .

I watched it and did you see the state of her natural nails - was only for a couple of seconds when she was in the nail bar but I rewound it and paused it - they were terrible condition.

L&P's and bleached blonde hair on the little girl - I was in tears, her mother was very pushy and to my mind living out her dreams through her daughter.

As a mum of a nine year old girl, I dont think its appropriate really for young girls to be made up so they look older. Its a hard world out there and kids should be kids for as long as possible. Abit of lip gloss or eyeshadow, glitter in the hair is fine for parties, but they shouldnt be done up like a christmas turkey.

Let their youthful beauty show through, because as we know it doesnt last forever, those young years are the only times in a female life that they dont have to reach for the makeup brush.

I see why the mum is doing it, but think she is abit too young at the moment.

Hi all !! i as a mother of two daughters totally disagree with this also my daughter who bites her nails ( i tell her to go and lick the toilet as its the same in my eyes ha ha ) she is always asking to have her nails done and i always say NO !! i have one 17 year old that i do her mum is my friend so gives me permission but this young lady works is a hair dressers full time has everything done to her and wants to look the part ;-) but she is great comes back every two weeks and oils daily so in that respect she is better than my older ladys but 11 year olds please !!!

Last edited:
I think the mother needs counselling :eek:....end of:!:

i watched it and did you see the state of her natural nails - was only for a couple of seconds when she was in the nail bar but I rewound it and paused it - they were terrible condition.

i was this too and did exactly the same thing.i couldnt believe the state of them.
i got annoyed when they were in the car on there way to a modelling agency and the mother told her to keep f*****g smiling at anything and if she doesnt get hired she is grounded :eek: ! poor girl.
i personally think that the mother wants her to do this because she was never pretty enough to do this herself so its almost like she is living her mothers dream,how sad.

I always remember the little beauty queen in America who was murder I cant remember her name but can remember the bleach hair, full make-up and nails and I think she was about 5 its the Mums who need therapy.

I always remember the little beauty queen in America who was murder I cant remember her name but can remember the bleach hair, full make-up and nails and I think she was about 5 its the Mums who need therapy.

I remember this little girl, I think her name was Jean Bonnet. She was really cute!

Well, as to the little girl who has bleached hair, spray tans and nail enhancements at 11 in the UK.....

She's just so young and innocent. I was kind of embarrased watching this as a parent. What parent in their right mind would want their little girl to be doing such things other than for money and being noticed?

Nothing sensible nor interesting came out of the mother's mouth. She always spoke for the little girl and they were even forcing the little boy to model as well.

Ah well, I guess its each to their own...

I cant even get my kids to try new stuff on when I buy any, much less to force them to be beauty pagents or whatever!

yes ive watched this a few times now and it shocks me everytime.
when the mum was telling the little girl if she doesnt get the job shes f***ing grounded i could not beleive my ears. what a cow, she is living her dream thro her little girl.
thats girls hair will be knackered as will her nails,a nd her childhood has been taken away.

do you know i hope the mother reads this and comes to her senses. its disgusting.

i hate these competitions as ffs you are an adult for f****** ages
LET THEM BE KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Can i just add that i live in the same town as the girl who the tv programme was about and her mother has been on something before like wife swap.

SHE is fame crazy the kids couldnt care less as you could see on the programme

The nail bar you mentioned is a NSS using MMA as i have had client that said they have had nails done there in the past and they had drill marks on there nail plates and could not remove the nails (not that should be doing any way) with out there own nail ripping off.

They also use masks and can not talk much english.

As for her bleaching her own daughters hair with what looks like the strongest bleach there is you could see the damage with all the breakage around her hair line.

it was totally disgusting and as for her telling her she is grounded if she dosent get a modelling contract well says it all really .

oh my god her mum needed a slap!! the kid didnt want to do it and the mum just kept bragging that she was on GMTV and in the papers. She obviously was jealous of her daughter and living the life she always wanted through her. I was disgusted when on the way to a casting she said "if you dont get this one you're grounded"!!!

ok, i know this is an old post, but i am offically offended!! i had my daughter in pageants, the clothes, the hair, the makeup and yes THE NAILS!!! she was UNDER 8!! and that is now the norm in the industry of pageants!! I personally have done nails for the pageants...however not younger than 13.

I remember the girl you are talking about that was murdered - JonBenet Ramsey of Colorado.

I watched I think Maury on Living and they had mothers on there who regularly put their daughters into pagents.Now these woman were nuts! They're whole life was about these competitions and some of the girls weren't amused that were entered, but it was the fact the amount of debt they were running up! One of them would rather pay for a dress than pay the bills and her husband was ready to leave. Another one had run over 20 grand's worth of debt on travelling, make up, dance lessons, dresses etc - when do they call a day?!

Latest posts

Back