OMG iPad and iPhone 4 - almost got scammed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodie4156

Reaction score
RANT!!

ok so i decided to sell my ipad and iphone on ebay as this is where i would get most money for sale from there!! both sold and i had a message from paypal saying £100 out of the £750 (for both items) will be paid into your account and the rest cleared after the buyer recieves a tracking number to prove its being shipped out.. (as a lot of people are receiving payments and not shipping the items to buyer just taking the money) so i sorted it all out, post office, paid and tracking numbers received and left there to be sent off.... 2 hours later ebay mail me saying DO NOT SHIP THE ITEM THEY ARE FAKES AND YOU WONT BE RECEIVING THE REST OF THE MONEY! *panics*

by this time all post offices and helplines are closed and my items could already be on the aeroplane!! luckily my bestfriends mom is a manager at a post office and has managed to stop them being sent out by calling the international parcel head office!! what a nightmare never again will i sell something so valuable to buyers in nigeria on ebay!!

i was sick with worry that £750 worth of goods had gone for just £100!

so thats my panic of the year so far lol

PHEW!

Nigeria would have had all the bells ringing in my ears !

thank goodness you've sorted it, really pleased for you, there are alot of paypal scam emails doing the rounds - i had one recently saying my account had been suspended .... even though i forwarded it to ebay and didnt hear anything back ... i hadnt used paypal for sometime so i knew it couldnt be true

kx

eBay/paypal are so cheeky. I've just made £300 selling items & they are holding MY money for 21 days!! Not a problem if I didn't need the money NOW.

I've had to send all the items too.

To prevent fraud my ass... It's so they can cash in on the interest. pi$$ed me right off this has xx

P.s - glad you got sorted! That's an awful thing to happen xx

I know but you can't put a DODGY label on them just because their country lmao even though I wish I had! Gosh I was so scared!! I don't think il trust eBay again lol

And how can they keep a hold of your money?! I don't trust PayPal either now at all! Not gonna sell anything so valuable via post again haha lesson learnt

My account and my OH account has been suspended as we both have each there cards on there so were linked incase anything happens to his accounts! x

Wow yr very lucky your friends mum could stop it, ebay dont seem to have much cover or protection for buyers, Ive had few bad experinces on there,It kind of puts you off selling! glad you got it sorted though :biggrin:

RANT!!

ok so i decided to sell my ipad and iphone on ebay as this is where i would get most money for sale from there!! both sold and i had a message from paypal saying £100 out of the £750 (for both items) will be paid into your account and the rest cleared after the buyer recieves a tracking number to prove its being shipped out.. (as a lot of people are receiving payments and not shipping the items to buyer just taking the money) so i sorted it all out, post office, paid and tracking numbers received and left there to be sent off.... 2 hours later ebay mail me saying DO NOT SHIP THE ITEM THEY ARE FAKES AND YOU WONT BE RECEIVING THE REST OF THE MONEY! *panics*

by this time all post offices and helplines are closed and my items could already be on the aeroplane!! luckily my bestfriends mom is a manager at a post office and has managed to stop them being sent out by calling the international parcel head office!! what a nightmare never again will i sell something so valuable to buyers in nigeria on ebay!!

i was sick with worry that £750 worth of goods had gone for just £100!

so thats my panic of the year so far lol

PHEW!

Oh I know so many people who get scammed sending things to Nigeria. A lot of the time they offer more money for the item but you end up losing the item and more money... Strange I know but they are very cleaver these people.

Anyways I only sell to the uk. And personally if I was selling a iPad and iPhone for that much I would make the buyer pick up, I would actually expect them to pick up. Who spends that much without checking it all works fine?

Anyways do you get to keep the £100you got of them lol xx

Oh I know so many people who get scammed sending things to Nigeria. A lot of the time they offer more money for the item but you end up losing the item and more money... Strange I know but they are very cleaver these people.

Anyways I only sell to the uk. And personally if I was selling a iPad and iPhone for that much I would make the buyer pick up, I would actually expect them to pick up. Who spends that much without checking it all works fine?

Anyways do you get to keep the £100you got of them lol xx

I know! First thing Susan (BF mom) said to me was oh no by Nigeria there's been loads of scams there! I was like omg nooo please help me lol

And tbh I don't know if I can keep te money! I hope so lol compensation haha ;) yh usually we sell to uk only but a lot of Americans want iPads and iPhones so we put international shipping down this time :( I can't believe how lucky i've been I'm gonna buy Susan some chocolates and flowers for helping me lol..

The buyers sent me a message saying send it ASAP as it was a birthday gift for their son! I thought I was being nice by paying to ship it early and correctly and then I find out it was a scam I was so scared lol and I'm going to report them this scamming needs to stop!

x

I sold £250 worth of stuff beginning of last week and transferred the money to my bank account. It has said the transfer to my bank account is complete for the past few days, but I am still yet to see the money in my account!! I called them today and they said that the bank has my money and she can see that on the system the transfer has completed as opposed to still pending, but when the bank receives it, they receive it from PayPal as a bulk amount and then it is down to the bank to separate it out in to individuals Bank accounts so I am now apparently waiting for my bank to release it to me! All seems like rubbish to me and as said previously, they're just keeping it for a bit longer to earn the interest on my money!!! Grrrr!!

With regards to your experience though, wow, You are so lucky that you are able to stop the process.. I am so pleased for you that you have managed to have a lucky escape. I personally, point blank refuse to send anything to Nigeria! I know that might sound a little racist, but Nigeria is known for being scam city! .. Avoid it like the plague!
Also, a little advice to anyone selling on eBay and using PayPal.. Always log in to paypal and check your PayPal balance rather than solely trusting emails that you receive from "PayPal" Saying that you have received money, because that is a well known scam as well that people will forge the emails so say sent from PayPal saying you have received funds and they all look so genuine, but in actual fact you have received nothing and it wasn't sent from PayPal!!

Xx

There are loads of paypal email scams unfortunately.

Never open any links in a paypal email.

Log on to the site directly.

And never give out your password by phone or email.

:O how awful! I hate that there are people in the world that scam, it's just not fair on all the people who are honest and fair,

Lucky that it was sorted out though!

Xx

It's pathetic YOUR bank holding YOUR money! Seriously don't know how they get away with it! Explaining the buyers 'address' was a nightmare as well! Unafuwa adefiada lol there was a lot of no noo F for ... U for ... Haha

I should send them a box with a photo of the iPad inside lol so they still get the parcel it's just not real muhahaha! Then again postage is a joke to Nigeria! x

It's pathetic YOUR bank holding YOUR money! Seriously don't know how they get away with it! Explaining the buyers 'address' was a nightmare as well! Unafuwa adefiada lol there was a lot of no noo F for ... U for ... Haha

I should send them a box with a photo of the iPad inside lol so they still get the parcel it's just not real muhahaha! Then again postage is a joke to Nigeria! x

I know! Utter madness!

Lol.. Yea you should so do that! Or send them something really vile in the box, so when they open it they will have the shock of their lives!! Little bit of payback makes you feel surprisingly so much better!! :) xx

I know! Utter madness!

Lol.. Yea you should so do that! Or send them something really vile in the box, so when they open it they will have the shock of their lives!! Little bit of payback makes you feel surprisingly so much better!! :) xx

Haha this could be fun! X

Wow yr very lucky your friends mum could stop it, ebay dont seem to have much cover or protection for buyers, Ive had few bad experinces on there,It kind of puts you off selling! glad you got it sorted though :biggrin:

I think you mean SELLERS not Buyers hun. SELLERS don't have much coverage but if your a BUYER you have TONS! it's crazy, but it's not really eBay as its PayPal (although their the same company :p). PayPal covers buyers like mad but nothing really for a seller. sucks :(

I think you mean SELLERS not Buyers hun. SELLERS don't have much coverage but if your a BUYER you have TONS! it's crazy, but it's not really eBay as its PayPal (although their the same company :p). PayPal covers buyers like mad but nothing really for a seller. sucks :(
Whoops yes i meant sellers, Even down to the feedback, you cant even neg a buyer for messing you around and not paying but they can you!i have just got my feedback up to 100% again after one unfair buyer(didnt give me a chance to sort it) it use to be so much better the way it was and while we are on about ebay i hate the way everything on your summary is on different pages! EEee ive woke up in a right moaning mood today:wink2:xx

I recently sold our old 4x4 on ebay it was in very poor condition had no tax or mot and was basically fit for the scrap yard in my opinion.although the engine was excellent
I was totally honest in my description and expected a few hundred quid for it for spares.
Well 2 bidders started bidding on it and one was from nigeria and one from sierra leone :evil:
The winning bidder was from Sierra leone and i had all the usual BS about my agent will come and collect the vehicle Blah blah blah.
I simply forwarded my telephone number and said i would accept nothing apart from cash. and expected that to be that.
So the next sunday were having Lunch and the phone rings.. its the winning bidder and he is at the train station:suprised:
I drove down to the station and there he was!! a large african gentleman called Mohammed. he gave the car a looking over handed me a wad of crisp new £20 notes and the deal was done.
He was totally honest and is buying up 4x4s in england because even though we considered it a bit rough in africa it would be worth a lot of money and perfectly useable.
There are lots of african scammers on ebay and they see us "RICH" British as easy pickings. but my experience was perfect even though i was convinced it was a scam. :biggrin:

I recently sold our old 4x4 on ebay it was in very poor condition had no tax or mot and was basically fit for the scrap yard in my opinion.although the engine was excellent
I was totally honest in my description and expected a few hundred quid for it for spares.
Well 2 bidders started bidding on it and one was from nigeria and one from sierra leone :evil:
The winning bidder was from Sierra leone and i had all the usual BS about my agent will come and collect the vehicle Blah blah blah.
I simply forwarded my telephone number and said i would accept nothing apart from cash. and expected that to be that.
So the next sunday were having Lunch and the phone rings.. its the winning bidder and he is at the train station:suprised:
I drove down to the station and there he was!! a large african gentleman called Mohammed. he gave the car a looking over handed me a wad of crisp new £20 notes and the deal was done.
He was totally honest and is buying up 4x4s in england because even though we considered it a bit rough in africa it would be worth a lot of money and perfectly useable.
There are lots of african scammers on ebay and they see us "RICH" British as easy pickings. but my experience was perfect even though i was convinced it was a scam. :biggrin:

Wow- this gobsmacked me! What an experience :) xx

Wow- this gobsmacked me! What an experience :) xx
And me !! and i actually got over a £1000 quid for a car i thought was worth about £200 as scrap. he had flown over and had bought 3 other cars that weekend and was shipping them back. i checked his feedback a few weeks later as he had 0 feedback when he purchased our old shogun, and he was buying up fridges and aircon units as well from the uk

I would never post to Nigeria as my exhusband was Nigerian and he knew that the postal system is corrupt so even if it was a genuine buyer the chances of it being "lost" in the postal system is very high, we never posted anything to family there and any paperwork had to be sent via fedex for gaurentee of delivery! Just a warning to you ladies it's not worth the hassle stay as "uk" shipping only!

Also a friend had an "invoice" sent from eBay which had loads of spelling mistakes and was written using bad English told her not to send item as she had already stipulated UK postage only so the buyer shouldn't of bid on it, later found out it wasn't from eBay at all so always read carefully anything from them as it may be sammers!

Xx

I've had a similar experience to Steve. I love old mini's and my husband bought a 1972 one but it had no seatbelts in the back because of the age of it and I was pregnant so we put in on eBay and the winning bidder was from Mexico so we thought he wouldn't come for it but he arranged the boat and we drove to the boat for him after we'd got the money from PayPal and he shipped all the way to Mexico.

It's a shame about the scammers because their are genuine people out there.

Latest posts

Back