OMG ManiQ won't soak off - UPDATE!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
hiya All, Are you ready for the latest instalment in my soap opera of a life! I'll start by saying that hubby still has a job and Boss Lady still has her nails and didn't explode:).........................

Today was D-Day, Boss Lady had an appt for 3pm for her ManiQ/Polish mix to be soaked off. I had been calm and methodical in the run up, ordering thick Magi Wraps and was going to have a trial run on my daughter.................... THEN me and daughter both got ill this week and the holy grail (Magi Wraps) never arrived so bang went the trial run!!!!!!!!

Cut to today and I was really worried, but 2 mins before Boss Lady's appt, the Magi Wraps were delivered! (divine intervention or what?!). However, I obviously didn't get to have a trial run as boss lady then turned up. There were no instructions in the box but I had watched the magi wrap demo on the website so thought I'd be ok. Boss Lady arrived very happy as her nails still looked immaculate, just grown out and she said she has never ever had gel last 3 weeks before so she is soooo impressed etc etc. I completely filed off all the shine (even a bit more) of the old gel, then soaked the magi wrap sponge with acetone, placed the spongy bit on her nail and then wrapped the foil and folded the top over. They didn't seem overtly tight to me (but went round her finger nearly twice) but they were tighter than my DIY job last week. Once all fingers were wrapped, I then placed a warm towel over the top and then a heated wheat bag on the top of that.

All the while I was fairly confident that the angels (and Magi Wraps) had saved me..........................
20 mins later, I unwrapped 1 at a time and although the gel had crackled slightly, they would not gently scrape off so I added a bit more acetone to the sponge and re-wrapped them. Another 10 mins later, (so 30 mins total) I unwrapped again and lo and behold they had only crackled a tiny bit and again they didn't scrape off gently. I was now secretly panicking and went to wrap them AGAIN!! but Boss Lady said she didn't mind if I just buffed the remainder off with a white buffing block (huge sigh of relief). They did buff off easily and she didn't mind and had another soak off set put on, but this time she chose a Cuccio Soak Off colour. Again, application was fine and she was extremely happy with the end result, so much so that she has already booked another appt for 3 weeks' time, which means, girls, that I have GOT to crack this soaking off lark before she comes back again!!!..........................

Tonight, I put exactly the same Cuccio gel on my daughter and attempted to soak off with magi wraps and Cuccio Soak Off Gel Remover. Exactly the same thing happened - it wouldn't soak off!!!. This is making me think that I am obviously not wrapping the nail properly. Is there some sort of knack to how you wrap with a magi wrap (blimey, that sounds like a song lol)???? Are there any magi wrap, soak off experts who could please offer me some tips and advice???????
So much for divine intervention!, think I'm being "tested" now lol lol lol

Desperately hope someone can shed some light (and some gel!)

Big hugs xxxxxxxx

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I have never used either of the gels you mention but I use Shellac and I use the thin gel Magis Wraps and it comes off in 10 minutes.

Have you tried without all the heat packs - it is possible that the acetone is evaporating if the wraps are not tight.

Thanks for the reply hun. I bought the thick wraps as the lady reccommended them as the gel is so difficult to soak off. Hadn't thought about evaporation, but when I unwrapped them, the sponge was still wet with the acetone??.........................
xxxxxx

Firstly well done for not letting it phase you.....you'll crack it eventually!!!

What's the recommended time for soaking off........I'm sure I've read on here (referring to Shellac, which I use, but I imagine it would apply to this too) that if you leave it too long the product begins to harden again, so if it's a 10 minute soak off time you need to check and scrape at 10 minutes, then if necessary rewrap.....hope that makes sense and apologies if I'm way off the mark.

Lou x

Sorry I'm a bit confused has she got natural nails with extension edge and you applied a paint on gel? Or has she gel extensions and you then applied paint on gel previously ? And you are now needing to remove either enhancments and colour or just paint on gel ?

I use shellac and maji foils and I in no way leave then on clients for 20 mins (I would for l&p removal but not shellac) 10 mins I use solar balm on Sorrounding skin around nail plate before applying maji foils wrap quite tight and place warm towel wrapped around wheatie for ten mins take one hand out and orange wood stick just peels shellack off.

If your base is too thick or top it will take longer or ofcourse if you are using a hard buff of gel.

Try wrapping foil tighter and ensure your remover isnot cold iygwim xxx

Firstly well done for not letting it phase you.....you'll crack it eventually!!!

What's the recommended time for soaking off........I'm sure I've read on here (referring to Shellac, which I use, but I imagine it would apply to this too) that if you leave it too long the product begins to harden again, so if it's a 10 minute soak off time you need to check and scrape at 10 minutes, then if necessary rewrap.....hope that makes sense and apologies if I'm way off the mark.

Lou x

Oh I had no idea that it hardens up again!. The removal instructions from Young Nails are as follows:-

1. Break the top layer and remove all shine.

2. Submerse fingers in warm acetone, "the product can be removed in 5 to 10 minutes.

Now, I tried the warm acetone way (in a soak off bowl) last week and that didn't work but I left them in for 15 mins before checking. So, maybe it is what you've suggested and you've solved the case Sherlock?!
Will test this out tomorrow on poor daughter again xxxxx

Have you used the same acetone/soak off product on each of these disastrous attempts? This is the only thing that I can think of is that there is something wrong with your liquid soak off product. There is nothing else that you can be doing wrong. I have used foil and cotton wool, magi wraps, bowls etc and tightly wrapped, loosely wrapped, heated, non heated and the stuff always comes off so this is the only thing left to investigate! :green:

Oh I had no idea that it hardens up again!. The removal instructions from Young Nails are as follows:-

1. Break the top layer and remove all shine.

2. Submerse fingers in warm acetone, "the product can be removed in 5 to 10 minutes.

Now, I tried the warm acetone way (in a soak off bowl) last week and that didn't work but I left them in for 15 mins before checking. So, maybe it is what you've suggested and you've solved the case Sherlock?!
Will test this out tomorrow on poor daughter again xxxxx

not sure whether the same applies if you are soaking in a bowl of acetone tbh.....but you have buffed the top layer off better this time, so maybe do one hand of each method with your daughter and see how it goes....I would probably be quite experimental with it, check one nail after 5 mins, then the next one after 10 etc. etc. and see which one removes the easiest....I'd even be tempted to writeyour results down.......you'll just have to buy your daughter lots of chocolate!!!!

xxxx

Hi, Thanks for your reply katiebbaby. The Client has soak off gel overlays on natural nails (no extensions/tips) and I've been using the standard paint on (with a sable brush NOT a polish brush) soak off gels. I also put YN Rose oil around the surrounding skin before applying the acetone wrap. I will do as Looby suggested and seriously experiment with this, although I don't want to keep putting it on my poor daughters' nails all the time (even if I do bribe her hahahha).
xx

Oh, and the acetone was put on the sponge cold, but I then placed warm towels and heated wheatie on top x

not sure whether the same applies if you are soaking in a bowl of acetone tbh.....but you have buffed the top layer off better this time, so maybe do one hand of each method with your daughter and see how it goes....I would probably be quite experimental with it, check one nail after 5 mins, then the next one after 10 etc. etc. and see which one removes the easiest....I'd even be tempted to writeyour results down.......you'll just have to buy your daughter lots of chocolate!!!!

xxxx

Good idea Louise, yes I'll defo experiment, and try and get the wrap tighter too. Would I be able to apply the gel to the nailtrainer hand? (my daughters beginning to feel like one of those lol) or would the acetone melt it? Would I be able to use if if I put a layer of hard gel on 1st so that it only soaks off down to the hard layer????...........................
Thanks for your help hunny, am knackered and going to bed now but will keep you posted xxxx

Have you used the same acetone/soak off product on each of these disastrous attempts? This is the only thing that I can think of is that there is something wrong with your liquid soak off product. There is nothing else that you can be doing wrong. I have used foil and cotton wool, magi wraps, bowls etc and tightly wrapped, loosely wrapped, heated, non heated and the stuff always comes off so this is the only thing left to investigate! :green:

Hi Hun, Yes I'll have to investigate and try different timings/methods etc. I've used the same gel every time but different remover on each sttempt. I have tried with "Profile Soak Off Gel Remover", Pure Acetone, and "Cuccio Soak Off Gel Remover". You seem to have tried every method!! Which method would you say works the best for standard soak off gel (not polish pro/shellac etc so it's obviously a bit thicker)??
xxx

Well in that case If I'm assuming right that is u would not soak I would remove with a file it will be alot quicker . I am assuming she has hard gel abs then ontop of that paint on gel??

I do this but with l&p on few clients whom snap natural nail il sculpt a free edge and shellac as normal. When it comes to her next appt I usually just buff that nail as it's protected with l&p and reapply shellac until eventually il just wrap and it's her own nail underneath.

Good idea Louise, yes I'll defo experiment, and try and get the wrap tighter too. Would I be able to apply the gel to the nailtrainer hand? (my daughters beginning to feel like one of those lol) or would the acetone melt it? Would I be able to use if if I put a layer of hard gel on 1st so that it only soaks off down to the hard layer????...........................
Thanks for your help hunny, am knackered and going to bed now but will keep you posted xxxx

You wouldn't be able to soak it off the trainer, not as far as I'm aware anyway......do you wear enhancements? If not then apply some on yourself and try it......the other issue to consider is that the soak off time can also vary dependant upon the length of time the product has been on. Have you got a couple of friends who fancy helping you do a couple of trials, in exchange for a reduced rate and some beautiful nails????

I would imagine applying over a buff off system would be ok, but I'm not trained in this yet so I'm only going on what I've learnt on here.

I'm goin to sleep too now.....night x

I use the Magis wraps for removing Gelish and Shellac. I used to use the acrylic ones, the sponge ones you have, but changed to the gel ones. I personally found when soaking the sponge the acetone would kind of 'spill' out of the sponge. They worked perfectly fine though. The gel ones have a cotton square, very thin.

I don't apply them like in the Magis video. They place the sponge/cotton square over the finger then wrap.

Here's how I apply the wraps:
Soak the sponge/cotton square.
Hold the wrap square up and closer to you.
Place the foil under the clients finger with their free edge just over the square.
Fold the foil over the nail so that the square covers the nail.
Wrap the foil around the finger.
Once I've done all 10 nails I go back and give each one a squeeze and make sure there is full contact over the nail.

Hope this make sense. :green:

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I use the Magis wraps for removing Gelish and Shellac. I used to use the acrylic ones, the sponge ones you have, but changed to the gel ones. I personally found when soaking the sponge the acetone would kind of 'spill' out of the sponge. They worked perfectly fine though. The gel ones have a cotton square, very thin.

I don't apply them like in the Magis video. They place the sponge/cotton square over the finger then wrap.

Here's how I apply the wraps:
Soak the sponge/cotton square.
Hold the wrap square up and closer to you.
Place the foil under the clients finger with their free edge just over the square.
Fold the foil over the nail so that the square covers the nail.
Wrap the foil around the finger.
Once I've done all 10 nails I go back and give each one a squeeze and make sure there is full contact over the nail.

Hope this make sense. :green:

Hiya Hun, Yes, it does make sense and I'm defo gonna try that way to wrap.
Gonna try your wrapping method tomorrow (god, this late at night I'm imagining Dizzee Rascal dancing round the room while I "wrap"!)

Night night xxxxx

You wouldn't be able to soak it off the trainer, not as far as I'm aware anyway......do you wear enhancements? If not then apply some on yourself and try it......the other issue to consider is that the soak off time can also vary dependant upon the length of time the product has been on. Have you got a couple of friends who fancy helping you do a couple of trials, in exchange for a reduced rate and some beautiful nails????

I would imagine applying over a buff off system would be ok, but I'm not trained in this yet so I'm only going on what I've learnt on here.

I'm goin to sleep too now.....night x

Hiya, you'll see this in the morning sleeping beauty............

I'm gonna try it out on one finger on the nail trainer but will put a thickish layer of hard gel on 1st to protect it. All my mates, and myself, have hard gel on with extensions as hard gel is my speciality (hardly surprising with this soaking off palava lol) so can't do it on anyone and they all luurrrrve their nails and won't let me take them off and experiment so I'll just have to torture ol' freaky hand nail trainer.

Did anyone ever see that old horror film "The Hand" donkeys years' ago?, sure looks like that nail trainer hand to me!.........................

Well in that case If I'm assuming right that is u would not soak I would remove with a file it will be alot quicker . I am assuming she has hard gel abs then ontop of that paint on

Hi, No, she has total soak off gel (s/o base layer, 2 thin s/o colour, thin s/o clear to cap, then regular brush on shiny topcoat).....................

So it does need to be soaked off and the soak off clients have them because they don't like files................... x

This is probably a really stupid question, but... What topcoat gel are you using? And are you sure its a soak off? I hate to overlook the obvious! If the sponge is still wet with acetone when you removed the wrap, it seems to me something is not soakable.

Incidentally, I love the original post.. Sorry you are having problems Waffle, but I love the way it was written :green:

Yes, what top coat are you using? Does your Mani-Q system not have a top coat? I think this might be the problem. Even though you are buffing it off prior to soaking, it still could be the culprit.

This is probably a really stupid question, but... What topcoat gel are you using? And are you sure its a soak off? I hate to overlook the obvious! If the sponge is still wet with acetone when you removed the wrap, it seems to me something is not soakable.

Incidentally, I love the original post.. Sorry you are having problems Waffle, but I love the way it was written :green:

Hiya Juicy, Great question, The Topcoat I use is "INM (International Nail Manufacturers) Looks Wet Ultra High Gloss Topcoat. It isn't a gel but a regular brush on topcoat laquer that is removable with nail varnish remover (acetone) and I put 1 thin coat over the top of the clear soak off gel to finish.

Oh, and my life is soooo chaotic/nutty that I have to approach things with a sense of humour lol xxxxx

Latest posts

Back