OMG ManiQ won't soak off - UPDATE!!!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, No, she has total soak off gel (s/o base layer, 2 thin s/o colour, thin s/o clear to cap, then regular brush on shiny topcoat).....................

So it does need to be soaked off and the soak off clients have them because they don't like files................... x

Yes I understand that, I thought you were saying that they have hard gel nno and then a paint on gel, si two systems. Then you would be able to file off.

I think you misunderstood what I meant.

I had the same problem with ManiQ but only tried it out the once and haven't tried it again.

I think that maybe it would be wise to give Young Nails a bell to see what could be going wrong.

You seem to be following the right procedure for soak off gel but I'm baffled too!!

OK, here's one for you... Are you sure you're not using acetone free remover by mistake???

#Edited so say, When I did use ManiQ I did a stupid thing and used Glaze n Go over the top, I did buff off the shine and break the seal but maybe I didn't buff enough either. But if you are using a general top coat laquer then that shouldn't be an issue. Weird!!

Apologies if this has been suggested in your previous thread but just one thing that popped into my head when reading this... Are you being too gentle when trying to scrape it off, I use gelish and when that soaks off you do need to "scrape" it off. It doesn't go jelly like the same as l&p does if you know what I mean! I thought I hadn't soaked long enough the first time cos it didn't look much different to before soaking but with a scrape of an orange stick it came off no bother, but you need to be firm with it, a bit like removing cuticle. I'm trying to describe this without sounding like I butcher nails but don't think I am:eek: anyway just a thought!!

Wow you sound like your having fun?!

How many coats of protein bond are you applying?
How many coats of ManiQ are you using?
Are you using a base coat of just clear ManiQ?

Perhaps cut down your coats of Protein Bond? Maybe even just cut it right down to just applying protein bond to the natural nails free edge (as this is where most general wear and tear, chipping or cracking will happen)

Apply your ManiQ THIN THIN THIN, one base, 2 coats of colour mix, one top.

Greg Salo has expressed that the new ManiQ Base from the ManiQ colour collection soaks off extremely fast and so can be used with the ManiQ Polish Mix Method, so Protein Bond just on the free edge, one coat of ManiQ Base, two coats of colour mix, one coat of ManiQ as a top.

You sound like you are soaking off correctly so I would advise checking your application, Can you practise on your self at all? Apply to a few of your own fingers with different numbers of coats, protein Bond, Base, Thinness? Then Try Soaking off and see which finger soaks off best?

Remember your application must be thin, when all applyed the gel should not look any thicker than regular polish manicure application.

Hope you get this sorted hunni!

xxx

I tried this with akzentz options clear and like claire c said, I also had to give it a scrape but it did come off. If protein bond is like the affixit primer that akzentz have (stays a little sticky when dry) then they also recomend applying to the free edge only.

Hi Hun, Yes I'll have to investigate and try different timings/methods etc. I've used the same gel every time but different remover on each sttempt. I have tried with "Profile Soak Off Gel Remover", Pure Acetone, and "Cuccio Soak Off Gel Remover". You seem to have tried every method!! Which method would you say works the best for standard soak off gel (not polish pro/shellac etc so it's obviously a bit thicker)??
xxx

I would say, without a doubt that the tin foil/cotton pad method is the best both for soak off gels and the gel polishes. I have tried the Magis which are good, but in my opinion, extremely expensive for what they are. I use cotton pads and cut them, you can get large square ones from Lloyds Chemists and other places, so I cut them in 4. I bought some hairdressers foils on a roll with a cutter and use them. Pull the foil to the desired length, place the pad near the top of the foil and fold a small edge over the pad to hold in place and apply acetone, wrap the nail and off you go. Nice and cheap, easy to apply and works a treat! Also looks more professional than the Bacofoil method, which I have also done in the past!!

I wish I could work out what is going wrong for you though it is really frustrating for you! :green:

Oh wow ladies, been out for the day/night and look what I come home to!:) what a clever, lovely, helpful bunch you all are!! Too many to personally thank, but enormous hugs to you all for helping me with this palava (that doesn't sound very "nail techy" but you know what I mean).
I have come to some conclusions (drum roll please)...........

The lovely YN Geek who said about the protein bond, YES!! I apply 2 coats of protein bond, as per the YN ManiQ instructions. and the weird thing is I emailed Lisa at YN on Friday and said that the last (disastrous) soak off had left sort of sticky lumps behind which I was wondering if could have been residual protein bond. Therefore, yes maybe it's too much protein bond as the stuff seems to really adhere to the gel.............I have been doing ultra thin coats but I will double check application again.

Secondly, the lovely geek who suggested maybe I'm not scraping hard enough, I haven't really "shoved" the orange stick through it and maybe I am being a bit too gentle (prob coz I had file phobic Boss Lady in my head!) So, that's another step worth investigating.

Thirdly, the lovely geek who told me the fab way to wrap with the Magi Wrap (really think I should be a jingle writer you know :lol:), gonna try your technique.............

Fourthly, (please don't yawn, it'll finish soon), the lovely Geek who told me how to make DIY Magi Wraps, that'll defo save me some money on this soaking off crusade, thankyou.........

Oh, and finally I'm going to a Young Nails ManiQ Premixed colours workshop tomorrow (hooray) so can bore the poor instructor rigid with my tales of woe and will defo buy the basecoat and topcoat (and more than a few colours knowing me), as the YN Geek suggested and also try using that with the ManiQ mix aswell. I really didn't want to give up on the ManiQ mix coz I think it's a fab idea and my clients are going to love it, especially after I've searched sooo long for a long lasting (3wks) soak off that I can be confident in.

So, girlies, I think we're in line for a happy ending:hug: and I couldn't have done it without you. You really are a fab bunch on here and I'm very lucky to have found this site (I'd be no good at the oscars would I, hogging the stage most likely.............)

Hope I've managed to make you all smile along the way and I will keep you posted for the final instalment which I am hoping will be titled "Success" woohoo xxxxxxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back