OMG Tescos are now doing beauty

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would imagine Tesco would be spot on with their training - they're upping their game for world domination!

I wouldn't get your knickers in a twist over this. Most big companies, including Boots have tried this and failed miserably.If salons work on small margins at our prices, why do you think that supermarkets will be any different? They will try it, find out that managing it is a nightmare for a mediocre return and give up. They expect floor space too return x pounds per square foot per annum. Cant see a beauty salon competing with a food aisle in that respect.

Exactly what I was thinking

I too can't see the appeal at all of getting a treatment done in the supermarket but those that will, will also be the ones buying Fructus hair shampoo (the vilest shampoo ever) because they don't see the value in what we do or understand the word 'professional'.

Luckily plenty of others do and it will only be a matter of time before Tesco realise the ramifications of running a salon and having to deal with the inevitable off sick / not turned up employees. I say bring it on... it will only end up making the true pros look even better.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

If the smell was over powering then the technician was not working correctly or using the right equipment. There does not have to be a smell when doing nails.

There must be a lot of salons in the North west doing it incorrectly then as every salon I go into when I have a clinic running has the same smell. The staff don't notice it at all but I go in and it hits me in the face straight away. I think nail techs get customed to it and perhaps I notice it more because I don't do nails myself?

I too can't see the appeal at all of getting a treatment done in the supermarket but those that will, will also be the ones buying Fructus hair shampoo (the vilest shampoo ever) because they don't see the value in what we do or understand the word 'professional'.

Luckily plenty of others do and it will only be a matter of time before Tesco realise the ramifications of running a salon and having to deal with the inevitable off sick / not turned up employees. I say bring it on... it will only end up making the true pros look even better.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

The same could be said for other shops who offer hair and beauty, think Selfridges, they have hair salons in there and beauty rooms, but they are set up in purpose built areas and are very professional. Just because a salon may be located in a store doesn't make it unprofessional or we would be saying the same about home working salons (me included although because of what I do mine is purpose built, self contained and not actually part of my main house.

I think Tesco have to deal with staff being off sick already, they have a fair few stores and a vast amount of staff so they probably deal with staff not turning up on a daily basis. I'm sure their personnell department could cope with employing the right number of staff per salon and their managers cope with managing staffing levels adequately. Why would this not make their salon staff true pros?

Re fructus, my husband bought that once, I refused to use it but my 18 year old daughter did and she loves it:eek:. She said it is the best shampoo for her hair that she has ever used, she has really thick, curly hair that goes really frizzy in humid weather and is nigh on impossible to keep straight after a blow dry. Each to their own I say.

I live in what is known as Tesco town because they have their head office,training everything here and have bought up huge amounts of land in the town.

They at the moment are holding the town to ransom with the old nabisco/shredded wheat factory site they bought. Basically let us build another huge superstore(although there is already one about 3 miles away) or it will just remain derilict.They are known for land banking.

They tell us we will have a new pool and housing etc but the store wil lbe built first and then they can take as much time as they like doing the rest, if ever.

The point is in the future there will be no high streets left with shops in because supermarkets are so driven for their own ends.Also parking in high streets is such a problem so people will go and get their nail beuty etc in supermarkets so yes i do think its something we should be worried about in the future,Oh and they also say they want to put a health club/leisure facility in the town so it wouldnt surprise me if they are also on the heels of David lloyd,bannityne, fitness first etc.

I'm not going to get into the 'Tesco world domination' argument but I don't know why there is such 'stress' over nail services in supermarkets!

If it is done right it will succeed. It will attract the people that are happy to get everything in one place (while they are shopping), it will raise the profile of 'nails' and it will provide 100's of jobs in many more areas.

If it's done badly, like so many others, it will quietly go away. Never mind 'it's bad for the industry' argument. The industry does a good job of that on its own in many cases!

The industry is growing so why can't this be seen as a positive step in this direction? The smell issue??? Tescos are really not going to chance losing any customer so this will not be an issue!

See it as positive growth and an obvious increase in demand. Don't see it as a threat! If you feel threatened then there is something that you are not doing right.

I'm not going to get into the 'Tesco world domination' argument but I don't know why there is such 'stress' over nail services in supermarkets!

If it is done right it will succeed. It will attract the people that are happy to get everything in one place (while they are shopping), it will raise the profile of 'nails' and it will provide 100's of jobs in many more areas.

If it's done badly, like so many others, it will quietly go away. Never mind 'it's bad for the industry' argument. The industry does a good job of that on its own in many cases!

The industry is growing so why can't this be seen as a positive step in this direction? The smell issue??? Tescos are really not going to chance losing any customer so this will not be an issue!

See it as positive growth and an obvious increase in demand. Don't see it as a threat! If you feel threatened then there is something that you are not doing right.

Ooh well said!!

Latest posts

Back