One nail at a time or all tips first?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riss

Reaction score
In my nail course/training, if using l & p and doing the traditional way, we learned that you should sculpt all ten white tips, and after doing that, go back and fill it with your pink. However, lately I have seen some nail techs do one entire finger at a time...do the white tip and then fill it with pink before moving onto the next finger. Is it personal preference or is there a specific reason why you should do it one way or another?

i usually do 1 hand at a time, so i do 5 whites then go back and do the pinks and repeat on the other hand.

I do it a few different ways depending on how well the client can sit still,
if i have a client that fidgets a lot or answers her phone constantly i work on one hand at a time so she still has one hand free to do what ever with but without disturbing my service and having to scrubfresh 10 times lol,
when i do one hand at a time i do all 5 whites then the nail bed,
then move onto the other hand,
( i never let go of the hand im working on or they start to rummage through their bags or lean on their hand and put make up all over it :irked: or do something equally annoying lol)

I do it a few different ways depending on how well the client can sit still,
if i have a client that fidgets a lot or answers her phone constantly i work on one hand at a time so she still has one hand free to do what ever with but without disturbing my service and having to scrubfresh 10 times lol,
when i do one hand at a time i do all 5 whites then the nail bed,
then move onto the other hand,
( i never let go of the hand im working on or they start to rummage through their bags or lean on their hand and put make up all over it :irked: or do something equally annoying lol)

have to agree entirely with that, had countless people get acrylic or resin in their hair from answering the phone with the hand im working on! :confused: don't know why you would do that but hey ho!

That made me LOL!! :green: I need a good chuckle today... :green:

I used to do one finger at a time, white then pink. Lately I've been doing all 10 white tips, filing and perfecting the white before applying pink, because I'm trying to perfect my smile lines.
Personal preference, I guess :)

i think its personal preference.
i was taught to do 1 at a time, but for ages now i have switched to doing all the whites first. i find i can get into a better rhythm and have more consistent smiles that way.

however i do sometimes do 5 whites and then apply the pink if its a cold environment. this way i know i will have 1 hand set and ready to file when i have finished applying the second hand. then i dont have to wait for it to cure fully before i can proceed.

At our course we were told it was personal preference so I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

I go for doing all at once, white then pick on each finger, by the time I'm back to the hand I started on they are ready to be finished

Kelly x

I suppose it really is up to personal preference.
I however was taught to do one step at a time, you know, prep first, tips/forms, base layer, etc... On all ten fingers. The instructor told us that would make it quicker, but I don´t know if that really is true.

I guess as a beginner it is easier to do one thing at a time on all ten, so you remember each step and it is surely performed on all fingers. (In my case for example, when I did my left hand first and then my right, I forgot the base coat from my right hand.. whoopsie.. :green:)

And also I would think if you do one finger at a time, it does take more time, because it means opening and closing a dozen of different product containers 9 times more. (Yeah OK its just about seconds, but still). Just a thought. :)

-- Edit: And YES I know those annoying fidget types who keep on leaning on their hands or playing with their phones. Not a cool thing when there´s inhibition layers on which should stay untouched! So that was a cool piece of advise to never let go of the hand I´m working on (or in my case as I do both, never let go of either of them! So it might be a good idea to do one hand at a time for those clients...)

It depends if tipping i do 5 whites then do zones 2 & 3. then move on to the second hand. If sculpting i do one nail at a time, applying a form then applying producy straight away. I used to fit all 10 forms and then apply but you could bet they would move. When rebalancing i work as if i2m tipping.

I was told to do all the whites first, then change my monomer and do the pinks so as to make sure that I didn't have contaminated monomer.
I too work on one hand at a time to avoid ruined work and even though as I have progressed I no longer get white acrylic in my monomer I still work the same way. Habit more then anything else:lol:

Sometimes it's easier to get one thing done with and then start on the next - that's why many do all the whites first, then the pinks. Some feel it's more orderly, some like to get fresh monomer after doing all the whites. I use the reverse application and don't need to get new monomer so I just automatically do the pinks first and then the whites and poof! A great nail with a razor sharp smile line! :)

Latest posts

Back