Opaque Powders vs Sheer Powders

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartypantz

Reaction score
I have done most of my practising with opaque powders, and I produce what appear to me ugly nails, which generally results in doing a lot of filing to try and produce what I set out to do with my brush and even then I do not quite manage it:rolleyes:. However recently I have used the sheer powders recently, on a couple of people who had a decent free edge and they turned out looking very passable, I could almost say I was proud of them. They had a nice shape and form, and required very little filing:). So my question is, is there something different about the formulation of opaque powders, or is it just me:grr:. What ever it is can somebody please give me some advice on how to deal with the opaques, because as we know, sheer powders will not suit all people, especially nail biters!

Thanks a lot for your help:)

Caroline

The opaques have white mixed in which gives makes them a not so see through apperance, where as the sheer is more of a clear with hints of pink.

Either way both should be applied in layers...more so for the opaques, if you do not layer them you will get those tidemark lines...opaques are less forgiving than the sheers so you need to get your application correct..or they will stand out like a sore thumb lol

Good luck xx

Yes as said, the pigment in the opaques is of course different containing allot more white pigment which makes the 'feel' of the bead different and the bead does not stay workable for as long either so you have to get a move on when you apply it.

Some find that adding a little of the sheer Pure Pink to the opaques makes it a little 'looser' to work with and it does. Obviously you do not want to add so much that the powder is no longer opaque which would defeat the object of using them in the first place. x

The opaques have white mixed in which gives makes them a not so see through apperance, where as the sheer is more of a clear with hints of pink.

Either way both should be applied in layers...more so for the opaques, if you do not layer them you will get those tidemark lines...opaques are less forgiving than the sheers so you need to get your application correct..or they will stand out like a sore thumb lol

Good luck xx

i love the opaque powders but i do sometimes get the shadow line, i have never been told to layer this, I was taught to apply a bead to zone 2, then a smaller one to zone 3. Can anyone else give some advice on using these opaque powders.

If you look at this video, you see how she gets zone 2 nice and flush with the nails..which stops the shadowing. The she applies zone 3 pressing and the up over zone 2....no shadowing. It really takes a bit practice to work with the opaques.

YouTube - Custom-Blended Liquid & Powder

On the other hand you can apply your product in one go ie: place in z2 and feather it down to z3, that way you won't get your showing line at all.

YouTube- Viv Simmonds French with a Twist

It's just working out for works best for you xx

Last edited:
Thank you for asking this. I had my first bad nail biter last night and used an opaque pink for the first time......they were the worst nails ever!! I struggled so much with the product! Although I know there was more to my difficulties than purely the differences that have been pointed out, I had never really thought that the properties of the product may be slightly different, it has put things a little straighter in my mind, and I feel a little more prepared for next time.

Different things require different methods as in all things. Learn the methods/techniques and you have no problems.

Layering the beads is VERY simple (think of roof tiles)

Run your zone 2 bead out really thin and then apply the zone 3 bead and run that one over the first one ...

I actually apply ALL beads like this when doing the nail bed or zone 2 and 3 area.

Using the layering method, you will also loose those double apexes that you get on occasion when using other methods ( you know .. 2 bumps when you look at your nails from the side view??)

Using the layering method also reduces finish filing time and produces a much smoother result. Lots of good reasons to use it all the time.

In the first video - what colour of powder is this?

Thanks for your replies so far. It is not lines or shadows appearing that I have problems with, as I do layer the product. They just appear thick and ugly:eek:, whereas with the sheers, I seem to get just the right shape, almost as if it levels itself, iygwim. Or maybe I am just working too dry with the opaques. I will try adding some sheer to the product and see what happens. Once again thank you for your help:)

have you tried using it thin and dryish to give coverage and then using a sheer on top to create the shape of the nail ?

Thanks for your replies so far. It is not lines or shadows appearing that I have problems with, as I do layer the product. They just appear thick and ugly:eek:, whereas with the sheers, I seem to get just the right shape, almost as if it levels itself, iygwim. Or maybe I am just working too dry with the opaques. I will try adding some sheer to the product and see what happens. Once again thank you for your help:)

Sheer nails just look lighter, specially when opaque colour does not suit skin, right? Train and mix, you will find the right way.

I have just received my neutral opaque today on recomendations and have to say I love it, love it. I much prefer it on my nails to the sheer actually and enjoyed applying it more - infact its coming to bed with me tonight lol

Latest posts

Back