Patch test for waxing??????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kylieb

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can help me.
Today whilst on my IHM course a few girls were speaking about patch testing for waxing.
I don't mean to check the temp. They said that they always test the wax the same as they would for a tint test.
I'm confused. Should I be doing this? I went to a very good college and have never heard of this before.
Do any of you do it?
xxx

I patch test clients before i do their consulation...

Its not pracitable for me to patch test for waxing 24hrs before....Id lose too many clients, they want an eyebrow wax there & then.

Do you test it on the area they want to be done hun? x

No need to patch test with wax xxx

No need to patch test with wax xxx

This is what I thought. I thought I was going mad when the girls told me that at college. Thank you for your reply hun :hug: xxx

I'v never done this, I think sometimes people are just way to careful, if you would have to patch test every wax, you would never get any walk in trade before long people will be patch testing nail polish.

If you were taught not to then stick to what you normaly do hun if we had to im sure it would state so in our insurance :)

In an ideal world you should perform a sensitivity test 24 hrs before waxing, as some people can have a nasty reaction to the wax itself. Saying that, they might be allergic to one type e.g. one with teatree and fine with other types.

I do not patch test when I wax as I would lose too many clients. If however when you conduct your consultation your consultation card should have a section for allergies or previous reactions so if they tick this find out what the allergy is/reaction was and then use your discretion.

If your client has an allergy to sticking plasters (rosin) or pine sap for example, always test as rosin can be found in many waxes.

Do you know what I have just spoken to my insurance co today regarding patch testing for a different product and patch testing for wax is a requirement on my insurance for qualified therapists or students.

I was aware eyebrow and eyelash tint testing definately was, but did not know about wax patch testing being a requirement for insurance. I am still at collage doing an ITEC and they teach you to patch test for wax 24 hours in advance.

Have to say, never ever in 20 years of being waxed had a patch test in a salon let alone a consultation form or signed anything so obviously does not happen as standard in spas, hotels, or salons that I've been to.xx

I've only patch tested once in over 17 years. The client in question had had a major reaction to a leg wax last year so obviously was cautious about being waxed again.

I told her to call in on passing and we'd try a bit of wax on her and she was fine. She was probably allergic to the rosin as I use a wax that doesn't contain it.

Thanks guys this has all been really helpful. Teebster the girls I was talking to also did an ITEC course in waxing.Maybe this is the way ITEC have stated that students are taught.
I will double check this with my insurance company just incase.
I just find it a bit silly. I use loads of different waxes and what next? will we have to test things like nail polish remover and face creams? lol Think i'd give up lol, it's hard enough trying to get people to have a patch test for tint sometimes. xxx

Well i do it as a matter of course ...when i called BABTAC regarding patch testing for waxing they advised it needs to be carried out....

I think you get a different answer depending on who you speak to....must dig my policy out and check..

i woulnd't do any type of waxing or tinting without a patch test in my salon. Although i have never had anyone react to either i have heard some stories ie friend of mine that reacted to an eyelash tint , not pretty- when people come in to pick up my brochure i tell them there and then that a patch test is required and if they would like it now to save time later. I have also had some people walk in and ask for a brow wax/lash tint etc who haven't been in before that when they are told of a patch test they storm out?

Better safe than sorry is my motto - only in business since June 08 and don't want anything to jeopardise my rep.

Has nobody here had anyone react to their wax???

I've just looked at the Habia website, in the code of practice for waxing, and it recommends that patch tests are carried out. If you want to read it click here Health and Safety - Code of Practice - Habia then click on the link that says Code of Practice in Waxing, then go to section 6.

have to say i would always play safe by offering a patch test, yes its a pain and i do loose customers as they go elsewhere, but i prefer to be safe than sorry and keep my repuation, if they get in a huff over it i let them off as i wont compromise on it. dont think its worth it

i woulnd't do any type of waxing or tinting without a patch test in my salon. Although i have never had anyone react to either i have heard some stories ie friend of mine that reacted to an eyelash tint , not pretty- when people come in to pick up my brochure i tell them there and then that a patch test is required and if they would like it now to save time later. I have also had some people walk in and ask for a brow wax/lash tint etc who haven't been in before that when they are told of a patch test they storm out?

Better safe than sorry is my motto - only in business since June 08 and don't want anything to jeopardise my rep.

Has nobody here had anyone react to their wax???

I know what you mean I have had loads of snotty customers that I have told I wouldn't do an eyelash tint without a patch test and the try everything. Oh i have had them tinted loads of times it will be fine. Or oh it's ok i'll sign any forms I have to and when you tell them NO they get the hump and say well i'll go somewhere else then. It's crazy , these are peoples eyes! I cant understand it but we probably don't need customers like this lol xxx

I always do a patch test!If you explain the reason to customers,it gives them much more confidence in your salon,ie.you have THEIR interests in mind and not just your salon's. My clients always come back on that basis. I cant imagine any insurance company not specifying this. Re-read the details girls
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back