patch testing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerbell80

Reaction score
Hi I'm about to start doing beauty mobile and I was wondering what everyone else does for patch tests such as eyelash tinting? As it needs to be done at least 24 hours before treatment. I'm thinking of travelling to areas of further distance and so would be unable to go to do a patch test. I have thought of declarations for clients who have previously had the treatments...any ideas would be very helpful...thanks

Hi hun unfortunately there is no way around it, even having declarations as insurance companies will not accept them (anyone correct me if i'm wrong) in the event of a claim. The only thing you can do is if the client has another treatment do the test then, if it is a new client then i can't see a way around it apart from just going and doing it, hth's a little xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi hun unfortunately there is no way around it, even having declarations as insurance companies will not accept them (anyone correct me if i'm wrong) in the event of a claim. The only thing you can do is if the client has another treatment do the test then, if it is a new client then i can't see a way around it apart from just going and doing it, hth's a little xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I do this as well, I would turn away business if they didnt have a patch test, I think it is far more proffesional to do this. Once you explain the reasons most people understand and it makes you look beter that you care about the clients well being xx

thanks for you helps guys I will follow your advice

I have occ. dropped in when I am passing an area to do the patch test. Its unlikely that the client will have a reaction but absolutely NOT worth the risk.

I know its a pain - Im mobile tooi and have refused a treatment because of client not having a patch test.

Agree with everything thats been said.

I won't do eyelash tinting unless its someone that lives very locally or i fit it in around another client in the area so i can pop round to do the tint test.

I learnt my lesson the hard way, had to drive 10 miles to do a tint test then go back again the next day for the treatment, 40 mile round trip for a tenner (that included a tip aswell !!)

Hi Tinkerbell,

It is important that you carry out a patch test the first time you treat a client.

The Guild insurance policy states:

"The insured must take a skin test at least 24 hours before applying an eyelash or eyebrow tint for the first time. Should there be an allergic reaction to the skin test the company will not be liable for any claim that may arise from eyelash or eyebrow tinting given subsequent to any test."

Please make sure you check with your own insurance company, to see where they stand on the subject.

Even if a client states that they have had the treatment done before elsewhere, you should still carry out a test. You should also patch test all your clients if you change the products you are using.

hi chick what i do is if they are a fair distance away i just tell them to pop into their nearest salon for a patch test ... that way saves you time HTH's xx

hi chick what i do is if they are a fair distance away i just tell them to pop into their nearest salon for a patch test ... that way saves you time HTH's xx
How do you know that the salon they have popped into uses the same tint as you????I would never say this to a client.

Hi,

The problem with this is that you cannot be sure their local salon uses the same products as you. You must ensure that the client does not have an allergic reaction to the products YOU are using.

I will never do an eyelash tint without a patch test.

I've got first hand experience of what a reaction to eyelash tinting is like, because I am allergic to it myself.

Its a very uncomfortable experience, and certainly not one I would wish to inflict on my clients.

One, slightly worrying aspect of this is though, I have patch tested myself on the inside of my elbow, and behind my ear, several times - I get no adverse reaction. As soon as the tint goes anywhere near my eyes, they blow up like you wouldn't believe.

I do wonder where you would stand if this occurred with a client - just a thought?????:?:

I always make sure people have a tint test at least 24hours before even though clients constantly tell me they've had it done somewhere else. I also do a tint test every few months because allergys can arrise at any time.
I don't think it's worth risking anybody's eyesight for the sake of a few quid. x

Hi,

The problem with this is that you cannot be sure their local salon uses the same products as you. You must ensure that the client does not have an allergic reaction to the products YOU are using.

sorry guys i shud of said that i always chech regulary other salons brands and i just give a quick call to see 1st :) :o shud of been more specific xx

I was taught that we should do a new tint test every 6 months(if the client hasn't been back regularly)this is because the companies do change their ingredients and we dont know if our clients are likely to develope an allergy to one of the new ingredients.

Read an article not that long ago about a lady who had been using the same hair dye for years,then one day she coloured her hair and her eyes started to swell,she became very itchy,her head then ballooned and she couldn't see.

She ended up being kept in hospital,she developed sores all over her body,It was a very nasty reaction to a new ingredient the hair company had put into the hair colourant.

The packaging did tell her to do a test 24 hours prior but because she used the same brand for so long she thought there wouldn't be any need,

People can go blind with eyelash tinting.I would never ever do a tint unless they had a test.Consent forms are only good for if you run out of toilet paper,in my opinion.

My only problem with patch testing is that although its on the skin (lets say behind ear or crease of arm - these are more sensitive areas) the test is NOT on the eyes, the very area that the client could have a reaction....
I sometimes wonder if the client could be absoloutely ok in the patch test but have a major reaction to the eyes. Then what?

Are we still covered by insurance if this happens?

Just a thought.

My only problem with patch testing is that although its on the skin (lets say behind ear or crease of arm - these are more sensitive areas) the test is NOT on the eyes, the very area that the client could have a reaction....
I sometimes wonder if the client could be absoloutely ok in the patch test but have a major reaction to the eyes. Then what?

Just a thought.

Ive wondered that, as this is what happens to me, whikle i was on my training course the tutor did my patch test behind my ear and i was fine, but i had a bad reaction when she put it on my lashes...my face swelled up.

sorry guys i shud of said that i always chech regulary other salons brands and i just give a quick call to see 1st :) :o shud of been more specific xx

I wouldnt do this personally... unfortunately, people lie, we wouldnt know if they've truely had the patch test or not.
my friends auntie tried pulling this one on me.. i told her she must have a patch test with me.. she started moaning that she had already had one at a local salon.. I questioned the test they did on her and she finally admitted that she was lying! for some reason she expected me to believe that they test the hairs on u're head to make sure the tinting colour takes! naughty lady :hug:

i just want to clarify that i always do a patch test myself ... but in the circumstances of distance as what was srated earlier than i have done this ... (only once)... i will now endevour to no longer proceed this way as i can see the risk so a thank you to :) xx

Thats all well and good, but there are 2 issues with this (for me) that I'd just like to point out....

1/ How would you like it if someone came to you for a patch test when they had no intention of having the service from you.

2/ You stand a chance of this client actually booking with the other salon, as they have been decent enough to give them a patch test in the first place. And you could lose other treatments

I don't do eyelash tinting currently (although I have been looking into it after requests from clients), but to be honest I don't think I'd take my time to do a patch test on a client unless they had confirmed they would be going ahead with the treatment with me, should all be OK.

Just a thought.

You must always check what your insurance policy states, but generally if you have complied with all their requirements, you shouldn't have a problem.

Latest posts

Back