PB Manchester Nail Comp is reinstated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I understand that shows are about money but isnt every business about just that ??

I understand that shows are about money but isnt every business about just that ??

Of course business is about money, Lell. We all work to make a living.

My point is that when folks get greedy then things suffer and if the exhibitors are not there in the numbers to make it pay then the standards slide and they start letting in the public and any old stand selling any old thing. It's supposed to be PROFESSIONAL ONLY.

Come on ... anyone who has been to the last few shows has seen the standard of exhibitors slip. I mean, shows used to have all the best brands there and were more professional in tone etc. The last show I went to had Tarot card readers and loads of awful cheap muck and handbags and nylon hair extensions and pottery for goodness sake. Just to fill the spaces left by brand names everyone has been used to seeing for YEARS.

The shows went from 2 days to 3 (worst move the show organisers ever made for the exhibitors anyway) which gave the organisers even more money but the people don't come on the 3rd day. IT SPREAD THE SAME AMOUNT OF PEEPS over three days that used to come in 2 but the exhibitors have to house and feed all the staff to run the stand and don't make the cash to pay for it because the people are not there in the numbers. You have to see it from the other side to understand it.

Wouldn't you rather that companies you buy from spent their hard earned dosh on more quality EVENTS for their customers .... better company infrastructure and therefore better customer service, more products etc than tens of thousands on a show stand for 3 days as a PR exercise??

There will be allot of big names missing at Manchester and all because of the things I mention. Wait and see.

Of course business is about money, Lell. We all work to make a living.

My point is that when folks get greedy then things suffer and if the exhibitors are not there in the numbers to make it pay then the standards slide and they start letting in the public and any old stand selling any old thing. It's supposed to be PROFESSIONAL ONLY.

Come on ... anyone who has been to the last few shows has seen the standard of exhibitors slip. I mean, shows used to have all the best brands there and were more professional in tone etc. The last show I went to had Tarot card readers and loads of awful cheap muck and handbags and nylon hair extensions and pottery for goodness sake. Just to fill the spaces left by brand names everyone has been used to seeing for YEARS.

The shows went from 2 days to 3 (worst move the show organisers ever made for the exhibitors anyway) which gave the organisers even more money but the people don't come on the 3rd day. IT SPREAD THE SAME AMOUNT OF PEEPS over three days that used to come in 2 but the exhibitors have to house and feed all the staff to run the stand and don't make the cash to pay for it because the people are not there in the numbers. You have to see it from the other side to understand it.

Wouldn't you rather that companies you buy from spent their hard earned dosh on more quality EVENTS for their customers .... better company infrastructure and therefore better customer service, more products etc than tens of thousands on a show stand for 3 days as a PR exercise??

There will be allot of big names missing at Manchester and all because of the things I mention. Wait and see.

Yep looks like the show organisers made a cock up they should reduce their stall prices, run over 2 days again and charge entry this would keep joe public out imo

Yep looks like the show organisers made a cock up they should reduce their stall prices, run over 2 days again and charge entry this would keep joe public out imo

Of Course ............. well if we can see it why can't they? Perhaps they don't want to see it because they are still getting their dosh!! They're just getting it from new people but, hey why should they care, they are getting it?? From my point of view it is supposed to be Professional Beauty .... that is the name of the show.

I won't even bring up the fact that Joe public can come to the show and buy the professional products at wholesale and deal prices that we professionals are supposed to be selling them from our salon businesses at retail prices!!

I well remember a client boasting that she had bought products from a show that my salon was selling!! I was not happy! :irked:

I have to admit, after last year (bear in mind i have only been twice lol)
I will probably only be going to gmex to meet up with geeks !

The first time I went it was all new and exciting (although I came away with a £30 hair piece I HAVE NEVER WORN :irked:)

Last year if I am totally honest was only good because of the people I met...if it hadn't been for Glynis taking me under her rather slim wing...then meeting up with Judy and others,
I probably would have been bored stiff after half an hour !

The Demo's on the Ezflow stand and meeting up with the geeks were defo my highlights ,
Most of my time was spent looking for a stall of a company I actually recognised lol.....

And prams !!!!!! dont even get me started on the prams ...

Wow, I never actually realised my feelings on this, until now..
So...we are all stuck in limbo then...we have to sit back and watch it fade away ! gutted...
I am sure then in this case, that mabey just some anual roadshows and stuff...will be a better thing to spend our money on.
comps included...
eventually we will get used to these events, and know they are approaching, so make sure we put money aside in preperation ( as I am sure we do with pro beauty)
At least that way we can concentrate on spending our money on what we actually need instead of £30 hairpieces for a nail technician ?????? lol

I am sooooo badly waffling rubbish now hahahaha its these damn tired eyes of mine :D and I haven't even entered a comp, so I suppose I am a bit cheeky poking my nose in the comp thread lol.....
But I am a wannabe if that counts :green:

Last edited:
well i have only ever been to one show....excel this year....and i really did enjoy it. This is probably because i only went to 3 stalls in all of the ?? hours i was there for.
I went to see judy at nail creation then to the ezflow stand for a few hours just watching then went to listen to geeg's talk on poppits then back to ezflow to have a demo done.
So the fact that i didnt see much of the show is probably why i enjoyed it...by all accounts, LOL!
I am glad the comps are back on for those who will be competing
xx

Last edited:
I have to admit, after last year (bear in mind i have only been twice lol)
I will probably only be going to gmex to meet up with geeks !

The first time I went it was all new and exciting (although I came away with a £30 hair piece I HAVE NEVER WORN :irked:)

Last year if I am totally honest was only good because of the people I met...if it hadn't been for Glynis taking me under her rather slim wing...then meeting up with Judy and others,
I probably would have been bored stiff after half an hour !

The Demo's on the Ezflow stand and meeting up with the geeks were defo my highlights ,
Most of my time was spent looking for a stall of a company I actually recognised lol.....

And prams !!!!!! dont even get me started on the prams ...

Wow, I never actually realised my feelings on this, until now..
So...we are all stuck in limbo then...we have to sit back and watch it fade away ! gutted...
I am sure then in this case, that mabey just some anual roadshows and stuff...will be a better thing to spend our money on.
comps included...
eventually we will get used to these events, and know they are approaching, so make sure we put money aside in preperation ( as I am sure we do with pro beauty)
At least that way we can concentrate on spending our money on what we actually need instead of £30 hairpieces for a nail technician ?????? lol

I am sooooo badly waffling rubbish now hahahaha its these damn tired eyes of mine :D and I haven't even entered a comp, so I suppose I am a bit cheeky poking my nose in the comp thread lol.....
But I am a wannabe if that counts :green:

Who is to say that another organisation who could offer better more reasonable conditions for the exhibitors might not arise??? No one is stopping anyone from organising shows ... no one has a monopoly on them. Why should they fade away? Great chance for someone to get in there and do it for the professionals. Maybe the professional brands should get together and do it for themselves? Now there is an idea! :idea:

Who is to say that another organisation who could offer better more reasonable conditions for the exhibitors might not arise??? No one is stopping anyone from organising shows ... no one has a monopoly on them. Why should they fade away? Great chance for someone to get in there and do it for the professionals. Maybe the professional brands should get together and do it for themselves? Now there is an idea! :idea:
Now you are talking Gigi !!!! :lol:

Now I think you are TOTALLY right hun....
Someone who knows what we all want...well not even someone...but yes a mixture of proffessional companies doing what you all do best, and passing it on to us ...
Sounds good to me hun.

As I said (or maybe I didnt lol) but I don't know the ins and outs of what these shows used to be like,
But if those of you that do, were able to bring it back for us all...how amazing would that be !

The what I would call "big names" in the industry all coming together once a year...without beaded handbags, and PRAMS lol, would be fab...
The companies can of course still run their own shows as normal...but a joint one would be cool too i think.

Would we all be on a winner then ? (I think so):lol:

Now you are talking Gigi !!!! :lol:

Now I think you are TOTALLY right hun....
Someone who knows what we all want...well not even someone...but yes a mixture of proffessional companies doing what you all do best, and passing it on to us ...
Sounds good to me hun.

As I said (or maybe I didnt lol) but I don't know the ins and outs of what these shows used to be like,
But if those of you that do, were able to bring it back for us all...how amazing would that be !

The what I would call "big names" in the industry all coming together once a year...without beaded handbags, and PRAMS lol, would be fab...
The companies can of course still run their own shows as normal...but a joint one would be cool too i think.

Would we all be on a winner then ? (I think so):lol:

It would totally have to be a joint one. And we used to do it years ago at Earls Court and in Leeds. Time we got together and resurrected it IMHO. The nail industry needs it.

Now there is a thought!!!!! Yea lets do it, I say lets start back in Brighton lol.....but also lets stay on topic, we have gone from the comps being reinstated to discussing every thing at the shows appart from the comps lol........

The Competition is back on and thats fab fab news for all.......

The Competition is back on and thats fab fab news for all.......

Well said and that is exactly the reason for this posting and is most certainly going to add to the show being worthy of a visit.

Good competitions,extremely good quality exhibitors representing all aspects of the industry and lots of visitors all coming together under one roof can only make this an exciting event.

Do come along guy's and support this industry.:hug:

Do the shows get sponsered by the big names in the industry? Surely they could install a minimum criterea for exhibiters?

I agree with Geeg, in that if you have a show with 'Tarot Card Readers' it would not entice the professionals back or to go to other shows I wouldn't. Industry visitors want to go to have an all round look at all products and ranges available to them, not to have a battle at stands for products, and I really think it's bad that the public are allowed to purchase products which salons would normally sell, not helping the right people really, as they need to be supporting salons!!

Do the shows get sponsered by the big names in the industry? Surely they could install a minimum criterea for exhibiters?

I agree with Geeg, in that if you have a show with 'Tarot Card Readers' it would not entice the professionals back or to go to other shows I wouldn't. Industry visitors want to go to have an all round look at all products and ranges available to them, not to have a battle at stands for products, and I really think it's bad that the public are allowed to purchase products which salons would normally sell, not helping the right people really, as they need to be supporting salons!!

I agree and was utterly suprised to see stands with wooden buddahs at the last show - I have tried very hard but could not find the connection with professional beauty....

I would think it is down to the organisers to ensure that only relevant exhibitors should present and demonstrate their products to prevent it turning into a bazar and fun fair and that only "professionals" are allowed at the show and not people shopping for birthdays or Xmas (not kidding, it has happened!)

From what I have heard the organisers are going to limit the visitors to purely professional so hopefully we will be able to see if and what impact that has (maybe fewer visitors but more professionals that know of products and treatments and not Mary Smith with her shopping trolley) but I believe the actual show organisers are different from the Nail Competition and it will be great to see that taking place again with everything that is connected to it:)

(maybe fewer visitors but more professionals that know of products and treatments and not Mary Smith with her shopping trolley):)

no offence to any Professionals called Mary Smith! hee hee!!:lol:

no offence to any Professionals called Mary Smith! hee hee!!:lol:

Ops sorry you are so right, didnt think of that, should have maybe said "Mrs Shopping trolley" or "Mrs I have nothing to do with the industry but my friend got me a ticket so we can go shopping"........
again no offence meant :eek:

Ha Ha and dare I even mention rio proffessional ... i mean home kits :eek:
who buys these bl***y things:lol: what are these things doing at our shows?

i will definately agree the professionalism of the exhibitions have gone down in recent years, and at excel, there weren't anywhere near as many nail exhibitors as i had been spoilt with in previous years...
no i don't want a handbag, scraf or new makeup...let alone my tarot read!! i don't know what happened there, but when you start letting the public in, and all they buy is the 6 for 5 offer on nail varnishes, instead of the professional gel kit with training etc..., how can the exhibitors make any money, and retain the integrity of the show? the organisers will need the spare stands filled when the main exhibitors say no to a stand... it is the start of a viscous cycle it seems.

Lets try to get back to what we all looked forward to in the first place, a good exhibition with a competition people want to compete in.

ooohhh the competitions, didn't someone mention they were back on...?? LOL

BACK TO THE COMP!

Just finished the entry form, structure and rules and regs for the Manchester comp. I will email them over to PB marketing in a bit, (although it is nearly 1.30am so i dont think they will be there! :zzz::zzz:) so they can go live on the Pro Beauty website this week.

The theme you have all been waiting for is "THE SWINGING SIXTIES"
This is for SHOWCASE, PHOTOGRAPHIC & COMBINED NAIL ART.

Thats it now, im done, off to bed, up early and then im going on holiday! :)

Just had an extra thought, lets have 2 themes this time so you can choose what you want. As it fits this appropriate year, you can also choose "THE OLYMPICS"

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back