PB Manchester Nail Comp is reinstated!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolate

Reaction score
FRIDAY 8TH AUGUST 2.45pm

I am delighted to confirm that i have just recieved the following press release from Emap/PB to announce that the Professional Beauty Nail Competition will be taking place in Manchester this October.

After a series of meetings about the Nail Forum and competition over the past weeks on how best to serve the needs of nail technicians, a final decision has been made. PB Manchester is delighted to host a programme of top flight nail education with amazing industry speakers, and a Nail Competition will take place alongside it. At the show and on the website, PB will be actively surveying nail technicians to ensure that Professional Beauty continues to deliver the content and speakers they want most.
More news at www.professionalbeauty.co.uk/north

I for one, (and i am sure i speak for many competitors and supporters,) am totally delighted by the news. Emap. PB understand the importance of the competiton and nail forum within the nail industry and will deliver to a high standard. The forum will be hosting some great new speakers and the competition will be better than ever.

On a personal note, i am so sorry for the inconvenience and confusion that this has caused many of you. You know that i will always do my best for the nail industry. Together we are an industry worth fighting for.

See you all at Manchester!

Fantastic news We all need to make sure these events keep going strong by supporting them :)

This is very good news as in addition to the obvious interest level of the competition's themselves these event help bring in the crowds to these shows and greatly assists in keeping them worthy of a visit and in turn supports those manufacturers that go to great expense to exhibit to the trade.

Delightful news and looks like it's going to be an interesting show for all ..........do come along and support the event :hug:

This is very good news as in addition to the obvious interest level of the competition's themselves these event help bring in the crowds to these shows and greatly assists in keeping them worthy of a visit and in turn supports those manufacturers that go to great expense to exhibit to the trade.

Delightful news and looks like it's going to be an interesting show for all ..........do come along and support the event :hug:

I actually do not agree and do not think that competitions do pull in crowds. They pull in some competitors. I don't think any buyers go to a show just because there is a competition going on. It's not like it is exciting to watch and you have to wait around all day for the results.

The people who go, go to see what is new; occasionally to meet up with colleagues and very often to give mum or auntie Flo a day out where they may have the chance to pick up a nail enamel for wholesale price. Sometimes people buy in impressive amounts, but not like they used to.

It is so easy to buy these days direct and folks generally do not like lugging big bags around all day and dodging push chairs that shouldn't be there anyway.

Many new students go to the shows because they find it exciting to see demos and to get free samples and see different brands but they are not the buyers either.

And the shows seem to have less and less visitors as each year goes on and therefore less exhibitors of a high calibre. A very expensive PR exercise for most exhibitors, that doesn't usually pay off for them.

I actually do not agree and do not think that competitions do pull in crowds. They pull in some competitors. I don't think any buyers go to a show just because there is a competition going on. It's not like it is exciting to watch and you have to wait around all day for the results.

The people who go, go to see what is new; occasionally to meet up with colleagues and very often to give mum or auntie Flo a day out where they may have the chance to pick up a nail enamel for wholesale price. Sometimes people buy in impressive amounts, but not like they used to.

It is so easy to buy these days direct and folks generally do not like lugging big bags around all day and dodging push chairs that shouldn't be there anyway.

Many new students go to the shows because they find it exciting to see demos and to get free samples and see different brands but they are not the buyers either.

And the shows seem to have less and less visitors as each year goes on and therefore less exhibitors of a high calibre. A very expensive PR exercise for most exhibitors, that doesn't usually pay off for them.

Well I'm sure those that are exhibiting ,entering competitions and visiting the show will have a good opportunity to make their own minds up on show day.

Looking at the exhibitors listings there are many high calibre exhibitors and I am sure there is more than sufficient variations for all disciplines within this industry to have a good day out,find something new or bag a good show bargain and support this industry.

Last edited:
People have many reasons for attending an exhibition, from buying stock to competing. I know from the flood of calls and emails that i recieved yesterday and this morning, that a nail competition is much wanted. I am not happy about the stress and hassle of the last 2 days, but i have to move on and hope to deliver a great competition.

Prehaps Emap/PB have realised sometimes it is not always about money, the exhibitors, buying power and high figures. I dont know, i cant speak for them. The competition may not pull in crowds or make lots of money but sometimes, there are more important issues such as supporting the nail industry in something that is most obviously much wanted. We had over 100 competitors at Manchester last year.

I have spoken to about 20 people in the last hour and have had a great response that the competition is back on. Speaks for itself.

Well I'm sure those that are exhibiting ,entering competitions and visiting the show will have a good opportunity to make their own minds up on show day.

Looking at the exhibitors listings there are many high calibre exhibitors and I am sure there is more than sufficient variations for all disciplines within this industry to have a good day out,find something new or bag a good show bargain.

Didn't say there weren't many, just that there are less than there used to be and I have observed and noted this at the last 3 shows I have been to. It's a matter of record.

I'm sure whoever attends will enjoy the show in their own unique way.

I'm glad for the competitors that they will have a platform on which to compete anyway. There was huge disappointment about that.

But Rachel, darling, it is all about money to any organiser of any event.

Good news!! Now everyone can get back to normal!!!!! Glad Emap saw the light!

Whoa fantastic news! That's great and I am sure it will be a fantastic shows with all industries so well presented as well as the Nail Competition taking place!

Hope lots of geeks can come, would be nice to meet some of you!

Whoa fantastic news! That's great and I am sure it will be a fantastic shows with all industries so well presented as well as the Nail Competition taking place!

Hope lots of geeks can come, would be nice to meet some of you!
I will be along to meet you and Collin at long last, in between the nail comps :hug:
And thank you Rachel for all the hard work you must have put in to get the comps up and running again, you are a star :hug:

Fantastic news Rachel, the comps are back on........

Running a competition is not going to hugely increase profits for those that are show casing their wares. Lets face it, is the lady on stand XYZ1 with the make up brush at the ready, really bothered how the nail comps are going? Nope, she just wants to sell or the fit bloke being spray tanned, gonna attend the awards ceremony, to see how they all did? I doubt it, it really has no effect on the overall profit and earning potential of any of these.

A Competition is a very important "and also event!!!!!"

Speaking as a Competition Technician, you just about get time to have a crafty ciggy and a quick sandwich, let alone browse around the show for items to buy. Then its off to find your model and other fellow competitors to have a natter and jointly shake in your boots until the announcement is made.
Its almost like a group of people being in their own little bubble.

Having a nail competition is vital for our industry, it raises standards, it perfects skills, it makes you more aware, of what you are actually turning out nail skill wise. Feedback from top people in the nail industry and scoresheets become all you live for on that day, this is where you find out how you could have improved, what more you could have done or shouldn't have done. Its the best one to one feedback on skill that anyone could ever ask for.

Competitions improve salon skills, it opens your eyes to perfection, you can work under any pressure, it gives you confidence, it raises your bar, it gives you fire in your belly that just wants you to be the best, may it be nationally or internationally........

So Competitions from a competitors point of view have very little to do with "turn over" more to do with "how your nails have turned out"

So good luck to all that are competiting and thanks Rachel, for being there to see it all runs smootly.

so glad to here its back on, It would be such a shame to loose these comps, I think there a very important part of our industry, Win or lose the experience is always brilliant, Thanks Rachel for all your hard work x

But Rachel, darling, it is all about money to any organiser of any event.[/quote]

It is not all about the Money unless of course that is the reason for the top secret shin dig it's about the opportunity in my opionion.

FRIDAY 8TH AUGUST 2.45pm

I am delighted to confirm that i have just recieved the following press release from Emap/PB to announce that the Professional Beauty Nail Competition will be taking place in Manchester this October.

After a series of meetings about the Nail Forum and competition over the past weeks on how best to serve the needs of nail technicians, a final decision has been made. PB Manchester is delighted to host a programme of top flight nail education with amazing industry speakers, and a Nail Competition will take place alongside it. At the show and on the website, PB will be actively surveying nail technicians to ensure that Professional Beauty continues to deliver the content and speakers they want most.
More news at www.professionalbeauty.co.uk/north

I for one, (and i am sure i speak for many competitors and supporters,) am totally delighted by the news. Emap. PB understand the importance of the competiton and nail forum within the nail industry and will deliver to a high standard. The forum will be hosting some great new speakers and the competition will be better than ever.

On a personal note, i am so sorry for the inconvenience and confusion that this has caused many of you. You know that i will always do my best for the nail industry. Together we are an industry worth fighting for.

See you all at Manchester!

Sorry Rachel for above post but you guys do a fab job and need to here from all that it is a good job very well done. It is not all about MONEY but people coming together in the industry and the support we provided to each other regardless of which company or system we use. We are all here to support and educate each other to raise the indstruy standerdes.

Sorry again for the rant on this and the last post.:hug:

I was not talking about the nail competitions. I was talking about the SHOW.

Show organising is a BUSINESS and show organisers do not organise shows with any other motive than to make money out of it from the exhibitors. To make it worth while they have to pull in the paying public. One of the reasons the shows are no longer professional only is because there aren't the number of professionals attending that there used to be so the public is allowed in too.

I have known Rachel and her lovely family for 20+ years, she is a personal friend of mine and I can tell you she does a fab job with the nail competitions and in many other areas and she knows full well I have the highest regard for her. The organisers are very lucky to have her there to do what she does. And I never have implied anything different so there was no need for a rant about whatever your rant was about. Rachel has my full support and always has and she knows it.

As for the snide remark about the shindig ... it is not a show but a 2 day Education EVENT and an opportunity to train with the top nail artists flying in from all over the world. Education of this calibre sadly cannot come for free ... the response so far is showing that top professionals respect that and the price in incredibly reasonable when one considers that this EVENT is a once in a lifetime chance to do something for yourself that will be enormously inspiring and take you to a different level in both your skills and your business!

Great news the comps are back !

As for exhibitions,they ARE all about the money,this i know for a fact,regardless of what's being exhibited.

I know they run comps for the best stand in the hall,i know how much they cost and how long they prepare for them,all the way from the design process to the build up and pull out.

I also know that exhibitions,allthough showcase new products and even educate the purpose of which are to generate income,to recoup their costs and make a profit.

This is why you now see two storey stands,with rotating floors and dancing monkeys :wink2:

And this isn't off the top off my head,it's my husbands job :D

Sorry it's slightly off topic peeps,but IMO until you know what goes on behind the scenes,you can not make assumptions that companies are there for your benefit,they are there for financial gain,good on those who don't need to i say ! :D

Last edited:
I'd just like to say a huge thank you to Rachel for putting in so much hard work and effort to fight on our behalf for our precious nail comps!! I for one love competing, its such a rush whether you win or not, its great for making friends and great contacts. Yes you do pay a fee for entering but you get fantastic feedback from judges on how to improve. I always come away from a competition with something, whether that be a new friend, a new tip on how to do something better or even sometimes a trophy!!

Lets support Rachel's fight for us by making this the best attended nail comp this year so far! xx

Lets support Rachel's fight for us by making this the best attended nail comp this year so far! xx

With the competition back on I'm sure its going to be one hell of a shindig couple of days with lots of opportunities for therapists,manufacturers,competition entrants to participate in supporting the industry which we are all dependant upon.

It is these events that bring us all together under one roof and how
many use this opportunity to take a little time out from their hectic business lives and meet and greet other like minded professionals ,find new products/procedures as well as of course participate in demonstrating skills in competitions which take place during the event.

As I see it it is a combination of all these factors that makes these shows worthy of the tremendous effort those that organise ,participate and take the time and trouble to visit worth while.

Do come along to not only this event but all trade show events and show your support of this industry :hug:

Last edited:
People have many reasons for attending an exhibition, from buying stock to competing. I know from the flood of calls and emails that i recieved yesterday and this morning, that a nail competition is much wanted. I am not happy about the stress and hassle of the last 2 days, but i have to move on and hope to deliver a great competition.

Prehaps Emap/PB have realised sometimes it is not always about money, the exhibitors, buying power and high figures. I dont know, i cant speak for them. The competition may not pull in crowds or make lots of money but sometimes, there are more important issues such as supporting the nail industry in something that is most obviously much wanted. We had over 100 competitors at Manchester last year.

I have spoken to about 20 people in the last hour and have had a great response that the competition is back on. Speaks for itself.

Well Said Rachel, i have also spoken to quite a few people in the last day or so, who were all very dissapointed that comps were not going to be a part of the manchester show, so even though i am not a competitor i know how important it is for nail techs who do compete, and even though the shows are expensive for companies to exhibit at, i think it is important to be there, it is a great experience and you meet with friends and collegues, network and grab some bargains all at once, the comps just add something special to the whole experience. Yes it is alot of effort but i have seen the joy on competitors faces when they collect their prizes, medals or trophies....i can't imagine the great feeling of being able to go back into the salon holding a prize for being one of the best nail techs around...it takes something to enter in the first place...well done to all that take that step...

Glad to see so much support for the shows and comps...

Thank you all so much for your comments and support, it means so much to me and makes it all worth it. :hug:

On that note, im now off on holiday to my mums with my 3 kids, i think i need it after this week!

See you all at Manchester xxxx

Latest posts

Back