Performing treatments when Self Taught ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-Ruby

Reaction score
When I hear that people are opening small home businesses out of the blue to perform beauty treatments yet they are "self taught" it really makes me mad considering the amount of training and money spent on training us therapists have gone through!! I know a girl who opened her own small beauty room and performs nail treatments such as minx, shellac, etc.. Yet she hasnt actually been trained in any of those, she has taught herself by practicing and watching youtube videos. She buys her supplies off ebay as she cannot register with the companies as she hasnt trained with them.. Im not saying she does a bad job when doing treatments, but it does frustrate me that people think they can start there own beauty business whenever they like and train themself. To finish my nag im just wondering if you were to apply for a job in a beauty salon with no qualifications, yet you were excellent at what you do and the treatments you perform, would they still employ you? ..Would you be happy to have treatments done by somebody who was good at what they were doing, but hadnt actually been trained??! Would love to hear your opinions! xx

There is a lady I know of who is self taught and has been doing it for over 15 yrs and I must admit her nails are amazing!! .......not sure she can be insured though if she's not qualified??

I was going to mention insurance if your not qualified, surely this woman cant have any!

You don't have to be insured to offer a hair/beauty/nail service therefore people will exploit. Up to the govt to change this

I wouldn't want a treatment performed by a self taught person no matter how good they where. It's all good well learning a treatment from a youtube video and being able at carrying out that treatment but what about the theory too , knowledge about contra-indications etc, knowledge about how the product you are using works and how to use it safely ?

I wouldn't want a treatment performed by a self taught person no matter how good they where. It's all good well learning a treatment from a youtube video and being able at carrying out that treatment but what about the theory too , knowledge about contra-indications etc, knowledge about how the product you are using works and how to use it safely ?

Well said if I'm paying for something I expect to have some one qualified and trained to do it.

I have a lady that came to me for treatments until I eventually caught on to what she was doing. She was coming to me to see how it was done and then going to do 'clients' that she would advertise for on Facebook.
The thing is without qualifications you can't get insurance so there will be one day that she trips up and someone will be taking her to court. Especially seeing as she thinks there is 'no point' in patch testing (lack of training!!). I wouldn't go to someone that is good at what they do and isn't qualified no! But that's from a therapists point of view. We tend to look into hygiene etc a lot more than clients do. I think if they are charging a little amount then Sadly clients will go there to save money which is sad. But hey what can we do there will always be these people around! I try not to think about it to be honest because it winds me up!! x

I used to get my nails done by a very nice lady and it's not until I've gone into learning myself I've thought yikes what was that!!!!!
No consult, nothing sanitised, everyone's nails the same (cookie cutter I think they have been called) and best of all no rebalances. Nope cut them off yourself and bite the rest off then come for another set. Anafa fewadvance

Sorry silly iPhone
I was saying they lifted and you had to book at least a month in advance god Christmas but she is busy year round. It's her only job.

Vicki xx

I totally understand what you guys are saying but i must say there are A LOT of times where I have had my nails done and thought geez HOW did you even pass!! And been to other that are self taught and want to pratise and do amazing jobs :)

thanks for all your replies ladies i've read them all! It really does frustrate me but i guess one day word will get around that there not actually qualified, which in some cases may be enough to put anyone off however good they are!! x

thanks for all your replies ladies i've read them all! It really does frustrate me but i guess one day word will get around that there not actually qualified, which in some cases may be enough to put anyone off however good they are!! x

Im sat on my personal facebook and my "friend" is advertising her nails girls. Gels like i dont do. I do glitter tips and the odd crystal. I used to do her nails and now shes decided shes a technician and is advertising. How gutted am i....my clients love them. So what do I do. I dont personally like the style and i can see her mistakes a mile off but shes making money while im struggling!

I used to work at a salon where the owner was 'self taught' in nails. Fab nails, but no sanitisation, would mop up blood (from when she cut her clients) with a lint free pad, then leave the pad on the nail table for the next client to see! And then reuse the file on another client! I do not lie ladies! I didn't last there long...

I used to work at a salon where the owner was 'self taught' in nails. Fab nails, but no sanitisation, would mop up blood (from when she cut her clients) with a lint free pad, then leave the pad on the nail table for the next client to see! And then reuse the file on another client! I do not lie ladies! I didn't last there long...

If there was a pad on the table with blood on it when I went for a treatment, there would be no way that I would stay!

I used to have Gelac in my salon but the results were not as good as they could have been so in an attempt to discover a better product I booked myself and my mum into a salon in town to have Shellac.

The lady doing our nails openly admitted that she was taught by her friend who does Beauty and then got a job working in her salon.

She had no training at all just experience. I have to say the Shellac lasted less than 48 hours before chipping on both myself and my mum. I know it is not the product as people rave about it on here. The therapist caused excessive damae to two of my nails when scratching the nail surface before applying shellac, again from reading posts on here I don't think you need to scratch the nail plate with shellac. I obviously would never go back and to be honest even if the shellac did last I would not go back purely because I want a therapist to treat me, not someone who "knows how"

I am in the process of starting up a home salon and will only perform treatments I am trained to do. Not all home workers are unqualified.

I would also never want to perform a treatment on someone if I was uninsured. Why would anyone take that risk? It is beyond me.

you get these people in every profession though. It does not help when you have soaps like Eastenders. Has anyone in their Beauty Salon had training?

Holy moly...

I was very shocked at the start wondering how people could do it without training but to be honest it doesn't shock me anymore. Just saddens me :(

Honestly though I don't know if I'm really thick or what but I struggle with every treatment when I first start. I mean I think I have a bit of a natural flair but if I wasn't taught there's no way I could apply a set of gels correctly and properly!

I did my first semi permanent eyeliner today. Absolutely loved it and totally faked it til I made it but did need help a couple of times with things I wouldn't have known if my teacher wasn't there.

I wish them the best of luck when they realise just how much damage they've been doing! I feel bad if I've accidentally left a bit of mask in someone's hair lol x

Im sat on my personal facebook and my "friend" is advertising her nails girls. Gels like i dont do. I do glitter tips and the odd crystal. I used to do her nails and now shes decided shes a technician and is advertising. How gutted am i....my clients love them. So what do I do. I dont personally like the style and i can see her mistakes a mile off but shes making money while im struggling!

lol you did make me laugh, "now shes decided shes a technician" lmao!! I totally understand what you mean though, I had a few 'friends' who thought they would do the same, although they did not last long before they found something new they were also 'self taught' in!!

I thought you didnt have to do a course for shellac? Xx

Sent from my X10i

My aunt does nails and she isn't qualified. She has this huge client lists from just a few months doing it but here I am with just the same few clients coming back to me, all because people prefer acrylic and I have never been taught it.

I don't approve of it in anyway, but I don't say anything as we are very close, and she does recommend me for waxing treatments and overlays. But she does annoy me with it. I heard she done a 10 year olds nails or around that age. I couldn't believe it, I kept my mouth shut as it was something she shouldn't of done. She does get her nail stuff from some supplier but no idea who, never been ebay.

The nail industry is no different from any other service industry. They all have the same problem, i.e. unqualified people setting themselves up as pros. There is nothing that anyone can do to stop this. True professionals will carry on doing the best they can, continue with education and client education, join professional bodies, support organisations that promote professionalism etc etc

And not waste too much time on what others are doing! Concentrating on being better than all those unqualified and hobbyists that dabble in 'nails'. They won't last and they won't bring the industry into disrepute as the industry is growing and they have ALWAYS been there!

Latest posts

Back