Photography - Taking a good basic picture

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seanny

Reaction score
Hands up all those who want to take good shots with their digital camera but you can't because :

( 1 ) You think that you're a cr*p photographer, or
( 2 ) You think that you have a cr*p camera.

I bet we have one or three takers, right? Ok, let's do something about it. This thread is aimed at anyone who just cannot get a good pic, it's not aimed at teaching you all the ins and outs of your camera, different settings, etc. If, at the end of this, you can get some decent shots with your camera, we can move on to the next step. You will need 3 things to continue, a digital camera :) , the camera manual and a tin of beans (preferably Heinz 'cos they taste nice). Seriously, we're going to take some pics of a tin of beans, I bet most people here are trying to take gorgeous pics of their nails because they see gorgeous pics here in Geek, they then get disheartened because their nail pics never come up to scratch. The solution? We'll all use the same subject so that we can gauge one pic against the others. So then, get yer beanz out!

The camera and the manual:
Contrary to popular opinion, I hate reading the manual.... I just wanna mess around with the gadget stuff 'til I get it right. However, if you really want to get the best from your new (or not so new) toy, you will need to have a good read through your manual. For now though, you only need to check a couple of things.

Picture Size: Make sure the picture size is set to a large setting. Mine is set to 2560 x 1920, this will give us a picture that's much too big but means that we can play around with it afterwards to get the desired result.

Point & Shoot: Put your camera on the simple setting, ie, the setting where the camera does all of the work and all you have to do is actually take the pic. This is denoted on my camera with a red heart, no doubt yours will be different. If your camera doesnt have lots of different settings, just take your pic as normal.

Steady: This is probably THE most important part. Rest your camera on something solid, ie, a pile of books, tabletop etc. Camera should be about 12 inches away from the Beans with the natural light behind you or above you. Look at your screen, depress your shutter button halfway to set the focus. On most cameras you should get some indication that the focus is correct, I get a green rectangle on screen when the focus is correct, yours may be different. If you're happy with this, depress the shutter button fully without moving the camera. If you've got really shaky hands, use the timer on your camera to take the pic. Set it up as previously stated making sure that the focus is correct. Next take your finger off the shutter button and set the timer for 2 - 5 seconds. Without moving the camera, depress the shutter button fully and move away from the camera.

Macro: For this photo, we'll leave the macro turned OFF

Below are the settings I used and the resulting pictures.

PIC 1 - http://www.thenaildirectory.com/beans-big.jpg (this is too big to display here in Geek. Click on the link to see the pic, some browsers might automatically resize the pic to suit your screen, if this happens you should get an option to show the pic at its proper size. Internet Explorer displays a little 'stretch' symbol at the bottom right of the pic.)

*********************​

PIC 2 - This is the full size pic resized to 640 x 480 for displaying on a web page.​

beans-small.jpg

**********************​

PIC 3 - This is a portion that has been cropped from the full size pic. Notice that you can quite clearly see the smiley that I've drawn (with great difficulty) even though this picture was taken with the macro turned OFF.

beans-big-cropped.jpg

Settings:
2560 x 1920 High quality
point & shoot setting
midday
reasonably good light coming from behind
black background
No house lights on
No flash

I hope this is of some benefit to someone in here. Remember that to succeed you've got to take plenty of photos and then select the best. Once you've gotten to grips and taken a good pic of your bean tin, you'll grow in confidence and can them move on to bigger and better things.

Seanny to the rescue again! Thanks! I'll go and get my tin of beans now LOL:hug:

Thanks Sean,

I dont have any Heinz beans but I will try and find the manual for my camera and then try some shots of kidney beans LOL.

naturalnails said:
Thanks Sean,

I dont have any Heinz beans but I will try and find the manual for my camera and then try some shots of kidney beans LOL.
i have some butter beans sean, will they do:)

Thanks Seanny.
I followed your instructions, and typically my camera does'nt seem to bare any resemblance to yours!!:irked: :lol:
But I am still able to use lots of tips...putting the camera on a solid surface & then using the timer...better light...distance between the object & the camera. Pics are looking much clearer, and i'm resizing with the Infranview you recommended:cool: :cool: !

Great Seanny, I just pressed a few buttons on my camera and realised i wasnt using the highest resolution for better pic quality all along!! It has loads of diff things I didnt realise it had.........IM OFF TO FIND THE MANUAL!! pmsl

Ya see..... I told you it wasnt too difficult. :) Now..... about those bean pics????? C'mon girls, this is what the thread is for, get snappin' and lets see the results. Good or bad, it doesnt matter.

Fiona and Jac, I'm sensing a lack of respect here, stay back after class.:irked:

OMG i've only got tescos own brand lol

x

thansk seanny love your little tutorials hun x

Seanny said:
Fiona and Jac, I'm sensing a lack of respect here, stay back after class.:irked:

Surely not LOL

I will go send my hubby to Tescos later and tell him they must be Heinz.

The gallery will soon be filled with beans.

Seriously though, you do know how much we appreciate you :hug:

Scatty, Tesco's are fine as long as they're baked beans and not kidney or butter beans. Honestly, who wants a pic of either of those?

Fiona, you're just trying to get out of detention now. Tryin' to butter me up .... actually you're not doing too bad a job. *LOL*

Hey Seanny, I have Heinz ... but theyre mexican ... does that mean Im hot! :rolleyes:

Glorsclaws said:
Hey Seanny, I have Heinz ... but theyre mexican ... does that mean Im hot! :rolleyes:
you cheeky minx.
Sean i am grovelling as I dont want detention either, but you have been an enormous help to me ( creep creep) and I am still bloody useless.

Seanny said:
:) Now..... about those bean pics????? C'mon girls, this is what the thread is for, get snappin' and lets see the results. Good or bad, it doesnt matter.
Well you asked for it...
May I introduce(*drum roll*):
Aldi Beans!

Attachments

• beans.jpg
    beans.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 494
Glorsclaws said:

Glo, have you been sippin' back on 'Granpa's ol' cough medicine' again? ;)

Jac, I dont wanna hear useless. Your nails are some of the best in here, so get crackin' with yer camera, oh and keep on with the grovelling. *LOL*

Ruth, that's the spirit. :) That's a good photo, keep it up girl. Unfortunately, you're at a little bit of a disadvantage now because it's dark. I had the benefit of taking my shots in the daylight (much easier and less things to take care of). Now, using Irfanview, see if you can crop a small rectangular area from your full size pic, ie, that's the original one before you resized it. Incidentally, now that've used Irfanview you'll be pleased to know that you can also use it to mark your pictures (the nail ones as opposed to the beans *S*) and so help prevent copyright theft. You can find out how exactly by following the simple steps at http://www.thenaildirectory.com/marking-your-pictures.html

it falls on deaf ears i'm crap tried with all my heart i just cannot do it!!!

joanna118 said:
it falls on deaf ears i'm crap tried with all my heart i just cannot do it!!!

Joanne, have you tried doing what I suggested at the start? Placing your camera on a solid surface, focusing on the tin of beans and then pressing the shutter button? If you havent tried it and you keep telling yourself that you're crap, nothing is gonna change and your camera is going to end up sitting in a cupboard somewhere gathering dust.

Every single camera that has ever been produced is capable of taking this 'tin o' beanz' shot and producing reasonably good results, that only leaves us to set the focus and press the button. If you can type on a keyboard, you can press a button. So lets have no more of this negativity, ok? :smack:

Anyone else out there willing to try out this lil experiment?

Here we go!
Presenting..
Return of the Aldi Beans!
(the cropped version!)

Attachments

• beans.jpg
    beans.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 44
Great thread Seanny! I'm pretty good with my camera and rarely have problems, but lousy at explaining how to do camera stuff to others.

Nice Beans:hug:

That's great Ruth.... well done you!! Now your final challenge in this thread. We want to crop a particular part of the photo, as if we were going to zoom in on it. To achieve the best results here, we'll need to use your original uncropped photo, the first one that you took before you resized it. This is why I mentioned that we should always use a high quality setting starting out. If anyone needs me to explain this a little better, let me know and I'll do so.

Open the image in Irfanview
We want to crop the picture to only show the small text underneath where it says 'sauce'. To do this, place your cursor on the pic to the left and slightly above the word 'sauce' , now drag out a rectangular shape around the section that we want. You'll now have an outline showing where the cropping is going to take place as shown below,

beans-crop1.jpg

if you're happy with it, click on 'EDIT' and then 'CROP SELECTION' and everything outside the rectangle will disappear.

beans-crop2.jpg

If you're not happy with the result, click on 'EDIT' then 'UNDO' and try again.
Once you have cropped it, you'll be left with something similar to this

beans-crop3.jpg

Voilá. Our cropped picture showing the section that we're interested in. As you can see though, it doesnt show much detail, that's because I've used Ruth's resized image, if we do the same again on a full size image, you're cropped section will be much bigger.​

How does this benefit us? Well all that we've done here is taken a simple photo and 'zoomed in' on one particular area of interest. The exact same thing that you would do for a nail photo. Not very difficult I'm sure you'll agree. Do the simple things first and the rest will follow. :D

Thanks Victoria, I'm not too good at explaining things myself as I tend to miss out on lots of important stuff that I take for granted. I thought that this would be of some benefit in Geek though as I know lots of guys can do great nails but lack confidence to show these off with their cameras, and that's a shame and so un-necessary.

Latest posts

Back