Planning permssion to work from home...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bubbabinks

Reaction score
I am setting up at home as a nail tech and decided I wanted everything done properly, so I cant get in trouble with anyone.

I'm a housing association tenant, spoke and written to them and have had a response in writing giving me permission - Yes!!:lol:

Next I have contacted local council to check if I needed to do anything.
I thought there wouldnt be anything that needed doing because I will be set up in my livingroom due to lack of space.
Anyway I've had a written response with the planning policy guidance 4 industrial, commercial development and small firms quoted at me.

Basically they are saying that although it would be confined to a small area of the house it would generate a greater number of visitors that would be normally associated with a residential dwelling and change the character of the house's use as a single dwelling.
As such planning permission would be required for this change of use.

The application would be assesed with regard to impact on neighbouring properties in terms of any inreased noise and disturbance and any highway implications in terms of parking provisions.
An assesment would be made as to whether the proposal would have any detrimental impact on the character of the residental area.

I think I've shot myself in the foot!:lol:
It's a new development I live in which is majority priavtely owned, but is very limited on parking.
Have you ever had to get planning permission?
I dont think the H/A are going to agree to this and how much will it cost me?
They didnt enclose any other paperwork to apply or tell me what to do next!

I could be shot down at the first hurdle, I just wanted to do it right.:rolleyes:

That's a load of bunkum.

My council said that they can't see that it would be a problem as I would only have 1 client at a time, which is the equivalent of having a mate round for coffee.
I do have off road parking, but they park on the road anyway.
What's the chances of you having more than 1 client at a time?
I use my dining room, which is my conservatory - I still have a table & chairs in it as IT IS my dining room.

They are being unreasonable.
I would go back to them.

Flipping red tape if you ask me. Ask then to define what they consider a normal amount of people at a residential dwelling, cause like Bev says, its one more person at a time....and if what they say falls within your family +1, then you have got a case for argumant!

If they mess you about, tell em to shove it and you've decided to go mobile. Then you can still bring the 'occasional' client in!! IFKWIM! Thats what you get for trying to be honest!

And I'd be down at your local benefits office, telling them you ahd hoped to work, but the coucil had put a spanner in the works. They often help 'shift' things along if it might mean paying out more benefits!

i agree hun, i too worried about doing everything right and rang my council, they said, what are you tellin us for, your using an exsisting room in your house and wont have anymore than one person at any one time, i didnt need to inform them of anything

id do as lyndsey says and ring them explain that and if they dont agree, just tell them you'll go mobile instead.

good luck hun

I say go and speak to someone face to face and ask for a proper explanation

It doesn't make sense to me

They obviously have more confidence in me then I do!!:lol:
They make it sound like I'll have people coming and going all the time, I'm hoping to do school hours and Saturdays.
Why do these things always arrive on a Saturday and they dont open until Monday?!?:lol:
Like you all say it's one car per appointment so like having a mate round, I actually said this in my original e-mail to them.
H/A said yes but to be aware of the restricted parking round my way, I can actually get clients to double park in front of my car and then it effects no one.
I will have to phone them Monday and get to the bottom of it, what a joke.

They obviously have more confidence in me then I do!!:lol:
They make it sound like I'll have people coming and going all the time, I'm hoping to do school hours and Saturdays.
Why do these things always arrive on a Saturday and they dont open until Monday?!?:lol:
Like you all say it's one car per appointment so like having a mate round, I actually said this in my original e-mail to them.
H/A said yes but to be aware of the restricted parking round my way, I can actually get clients to double park in front of my car and then it effects no one.
I will have to phone them Monday and get to the bottom of it, what a joke.

You need to speak to someone, on the phone or in person, you emailed and got the only written response they had on hand, when you have a human being to talk to what you will get if far different.

You need to speak to someone, on the phone or in person, you emailed and got the only written response they had on hand, when you have a human being to talk to what you will get if far different.

I did phone 3 weeks ago hun and they told me you have to e-mail this department or write in!:rolleyes:
I'm going to call On Monday now I have a direct number for her and find out what's going on as this is a joke.

Local councills are full of bleedin jobsworths.:rolleyes::grr:
At my last house the council kicked off about me using my converted garage, but whenthe asessor man rang to book an appt he said he didn't need to come see me. As I only had one customer at a time and it was only one room, he said the council were "laughably tying themselves in beurocratic knots.":green:
Just go with the flow for now, but keep stressing that it will only be part time and only one visitor at a time. Good luck.:hug:

Local councills are full of bleedin jobsworths.:rolleyes::grr:
At my last house the council kicked off about me using my converted garage, but whenthe asessor man rang to book an appt he said he didn't need to come see me. As I only had one customer at a time and it was only one room, he said the council were "laughably tying themselves in beurocratic knots.":green:
Just go with the flow for now, but keep stressing that it will only be part time and only one visitor at a time. Good luck.:hug:

Thanks hun.
It's not like I'm setting up a shop fronted salon in a residential road, then I'd understand.
xx

My local council is exactly the same they wanted to charge me £300 for outline planning permission because I would be running a business from home with customers that could cause parking problems. I would also have to ask permission of my direct neighbours and submit a detailed to scale plan of the room I would be using!!!!!!!:mad:

I explained that I would only be having one customer at a time and that I live in a dead end road where just about every house has off-street parking; that I would only be working part time maybe two or three days a week. This still not get me anywhere, which I why I am now mobile only.

They just want to make as much money as they can out of people. I think it is very unfair to the small business person. :mad:

My local council is exactly the same they wanted to charge me £300 for outline planning permission because I would be running a business from home with customers that could cause parking problems. I would also have to ask permission of my direct neighbours and submit a detailed to scale plan of the room I would be using!!!!!!!:mad:

I explained that I would only be having one customer at a time and that I live in a dead end road where just about every house has off-street parking; that I would only be working part time maybe two or three days a week. This still not get me anywhere, which I why I am now mobile only.

They just want to make as much money as they can out of people. I think it is very unfair to the small business person. :mad:

Well I can see me getting permission from 2 of my neighbours but not sure about the other one as she is a pain in the butt drilling gone 9pm at night and doesnt answer the door when you knock, so not sure I can ask her!
I cant afford to pay £300 otherwise I'll never get set up.:rolleyes:
I'm going to let it play out and if needs be I'll rent a desk somewhere, but I dont really want to be mobile, I take to long setting up and packing away!:lol:

I dont really want to be mobile, I take to long setting up and packing away!:lol:

Hun, I don't think anyone's suggesting you actually become mobile....I think the suggestion is you tell the council that! Then if the 'odd' client visits you at home, well, its a one off, isn't it?

Now this post will self destruct with in 10 seconds so no one from your council reads it 10..........9..............8...........7...........

Hun, I don't think anyone's suggesting you actually become mobile....I think the suggestion is you tell the council that! Then if the 'odd' client visits you at home, well, its a one off, isn't it?

Now this post will self destruct with in 10 seconds so no one from your council reads it 10..........9..............8...........7...........
I'm with you wink wink!:lol:
What happens if they come across my website that says I'm homebased?

Out of curiosity, I phoned my local council about working at home and they didn't put up any objections. They just told me to be careful about health and safety issues, especially about having good ventilation because of 'Nail varnish' and sent me some leaflets on general health and safety. That was it!

I'm with you wink wink!:lol:
What happens if they come across my website that says I'm homebased?

Mmmm...what are the chances of that....and to be honest, does any idividual really care....or have you just got tied up in their red tape, because they are a bunch of jobsworth that can only give 'by the book' answers?

It's a tough call for you, but I think i'd still be inclined to believe that they don't actually have someone going round searching for the websites and/or proof that individuals have diddled their building regs. I think they are puppets that only act on complaints in that area....or round here they do anyway.

I have just got off the phone to the jobsworth, it will cost me £265.00 fee and downloadable forms to fill out for a change of use, which she didnt tell me where to find or what ones to fill out and that doesnt gurantee I will get permssion!:mad:

I have to provide an OS map with my house highlighted in red and a detailed drawing of my livingroom so that I can prove what area of my house it takes up.
I did ask her what's that got to do with you where I put my desk?!?
Apparently it's in case I spread the business into more rooms! I only have a 2 bed house with 4 people living in it, what does she think I'm going to start spray tanning in my toilet?!?:lol:

I dont know what to do now because I've made myself aware to them so if I go ahead and do it I cant play dumb if I get caught!
I said you'd be none the wiser if I hadnt contacted you and she said we would have investigated if a neighbour complained.

Aghhh!!!

Going to write to my local MP when I feel better about how stupid this is!

The woman said it's not to do with the cars, it's the fact I would be bringing an increase in people into the area, I said what if I only get 2 clients a week? I have more visitors then that a week!!

Oh and I forgot to say she said it would have to be re-assesed if it grew, so probably more money!!:mad:

If I had it I'd pay it because in the long run it suits us for me to be at home, but the H/A arent going to agree to it and I dont want to gamble on whether it would be agreed or not.

She did say see if you can downscale it and then it would definetly get passed, what??
It's only starting off part-time how much more can I downsize it?
She also said maybe I should advertise to see what response I get, I said well that's not a very clever thing to do is it?? because if I dont get approved I would be letting people down!

Oh and I forgot to say she said it would have to be re-assesed if it grew, so probably more money!!:mad:

If I had it I'd pay it because in the long run it suits us for me to be at home, but the H/A arent going to agree to it and I dont want to gamble on whether it would be agreed or not.

She did say see if you can downscale it and then it would definetly get passed, what??
It's only starting off part-time how much more can I downsize it?
She also said maybe I should advertise to see what response I get, I said well that's not a very clever thing to do is it?? because if I dont get approved I would be letting people down!

how much more downscale can you get if its just a desk in your sitting room.
gawd, you must be fuming:evil:

Latest posts

Back