Pre pigmenting

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauren21

Reaction score
Hi guys ok a colour correction question. My client has 1/2 inch regrowth of natural base 6 with about 30% grey,and mid lengths and ends have been tinted to a level 9 to 10. She wants end result to be 6/75 (wella) all over so I was going to pre pig with 0/43 and then apply 1/2 6 and 1/2 6/75 20 vol to regrowth only and 6/75 in colour touch (thought this would grab better) to rest of hair of the hair. Just wondering if anyone else has a thoughts on this. I did a test piece, came out still a bit warm so may need to put some base 6 in with the colour touch.
Thanks in advance:smack:

i would do what u said for the roots, but i wudnt go makin up a semi, just make enuff for a full head of tint, apply to the roots, and then after ur roots are done add bout 10mls water to the remaining tint and this reduces the peroxide strength. . and also keeps the shade perfectly blended. .
i wudnt worry about pre pigging at this level, in my experience a base 9 will cover quite easily assuming the condition is fine and as long as their is a roughly 3 to 1 ratio (the 3 being the warm shade and the 1 being the base) their shud be no khaki shades and no overly warm tones either. .

Hi guys ok a colour correction question. My client has 1/2 inch regrowth of natural base 6 with about 30% grey,and mid lengths and ends have been tinted to a level 9 to 10. She wants end result to be 6/75 (wella) all over so I was going to pre pig with 0/43 and then apply 1/2 6 and 1/2 6/75 20 vol to regrowth only and 6/75 in colour touch (thought this would grab better) to rest of hair of the hair. Just wondering if anyone else has a thoughts on this. I did a test piece, came out still a bit warm so may need to put some base 6 in with the colour touch.
Thanks in advance:smack:
Hey Lauren, I personally would prob just prepig with perfecton then use my 6/75 with 6% roots, and 6/75 on the ends with 1.9 in CT. Or if its warm you could leave the 0/45 out and just go in with your 6/75 and then see if you need to post-pigg?

Thanks for your replies. Client coming on Sat so will let you know the result

I would use a slightly less warm colour on the root ( 6 & 6/75 like you said )because of the natural warmth that will come through and a warmer colour on the ends because they will absorb the warmth(6/75 like you said)
The only thing that i would worry about , not having used this colour since i originaly trained ( swapped brands ,swapped back again) is that if the porosity is uneven and the base doesnt hold that the ends may come up a bit purply /pink , but if you use a balancing spray it should be fine ( really depends on condition) I know when tigi came round they said you can use fast fixx as a pre chemical balancer .
Anyhows , you can always put a semi on top if the colour is uneven - hope you have told the clientto expect a little fade , more if she swims or is in the sun alot . good luck x

we had a very senior TIGI rep. come to our salon on tuesday to teach us about their whole range, he was absolutely adamant that pre pigging is a waste of time and is a complete fabrication to get money from stylists. He said that if someone is full head bleached blonde or very light blonde, if ur putting a darker colour on, then the colour already has the pigments needed to stop it going khaki. I think this makes sense if u think about the principles of underlying pigments. i know that he wasn't making it up because he wasn't there to sell us any products. if you think about it, it makes sense (a base 6 colour should have orange and yellow pigments in it anyway to make it that colour)

Senior Tigi rep? Or senior Tigi colour technician? I disagree with him, I don't think a 5/0 would have enough warmth to use alone. Maybe a red/copper brown etc but defo not a flat base. That's what I think anyways x

I would have thought a flat base would leave a khaki colour on very light bleached hair?

I understand if your a level 6 naturally you would have orange/yellowy pigments mixed in with it, but when bleaching your taking all this away so surely you would need to put this back in before you took it back to a base 6 again.

Or do you mean the 6-0 base colour (whichever brand) should have mixed orange/yellow tones in it so you shouldnt have to pre pig and just put it on and process as normal?

today I had a customer in which as 40 vol bleached highlights but she wanted to add another colour to tone it down a bit , I put some very fine lowlights in mixing her natural base and a warm brown in with it so it wouldnt just be flat and go a khaki colour, you have to be very careful with bleach as it can grab so quickly

Hi, mmmm.... I am thinking along the same lines as natsel and lisa , I would put his theory to the test and take some left over salon hair clippings preferably natural level 5 or 6 ,
then bleach them right up till creamy white and put a flat base 6 on and see if his colour theory works ?
it would be interseting for you to put it to the test
and if it doesn't work you can show him the proof ,

and if it does work let us know what the colour line is :hug: lolx

Great idea Minky!

Ok decided to pre pig clients hair so used 0/43 5inches with 60ml warm water,applied to all the pre lightened hair(about base 10) and explained her hair would go bright orange so she wouldn't freak out,left 10 mins, blotted off with kitchen roll then put 1/2 6 and 6/75 20 vol on roots and 6/75 with c touch 4% on pre pigged hair. Nice result more of level 7 and hoping it won't fade too quickly. Wondering if I hadn't pre pigged what the difference would be? Thanks for all the replies:)

Ok decided to pre pig clients hair so used 0/43 5inches with 60ml warm water,applied to all the pre lightened hair(about base 10) and explained her hair would go bright orange so she wouldn't freak out,left 10 mins, blotted off with kitchen roll then put 1/2 6 and 6/75 20 vol on roots and 6/75 with c touch 4% on pre pigged hair. Nice result more of level 7 and hoping it won't fade too quickly. Wondering if I hadn't pre pigged what the difference would be? Thanks for all the replies:)

perhaps a bit flatter maybe , but maybe not, as you chose a good warm colour :)

pre pigger helps to achieve even colour on porous hair
most people only pre pigg if the hair if it is very light and very pourous and also if they are not using such a warm base tone

there used to be a pre pigger called colour equalizer, I think it was made by goldwell or igora ?.....and you could just spray on it came in red copper or gold , igora have a pre pigg mousse for porous hair ,
in the usual red copper gold colours ,

the wella perfection in 0/45 pure tone
post pigged (put on afterwards) may have put some more 0/45 tone in the ends for you too if it was a bit flat
I think lisa mentioned about post pigging :hug:

colour perfection by wella is pure tone colour in a bottle it is liqiud
like coloured water and it is another pre pigger or post pigger for wella colours,
and you can use perfection before to pre pigg and after to post pigg
so if you find the colour is a bit flat afterwards you can add more tone,
they come in tones to match certain wella tints ,
and they are very good
but you will find that usually only the wella rep carrys them or certain
stores :)

there used to be a pre pigger called colour equalizer, I think it was made by goldwell or igora ?.....and you could just spray on it came in red copper or gold , igora have a pre pigg mousse for porous hair ,
in the usual red copper gold colours ,

Goldwell make this as we use it in the salon, a the igora mousses are good too x

clynol pre pig mousses are good too. they come in gold copper red.
i just dispense them into a tint bowl and use a tinting brush and then tint over the top..great for when you need to pre pig when using foils

Hi, I haven't seen the clynol ones either , so thats good to know , it's a good idea putting it in a bowl and using a brush for foils , a lot more professional
thanks Joanne :hug:

ha ha , I just had a visual of me standing there trying to squirt the red
pre pigger foam on the foils straight out of the can and it going everywhere but the foils ha ha :lol:

slowly losing it me thinks lols x :hug:

Hi, I haven't seen the clynol ones either , so thats good to know , it's a good idea putting it in a bowl and using a brush for foils , a lot more professional
thanks Joanne :hug:

ha ha , I just had a visual of me standing there trying to squirt the red
pre pigger foam on the foils straight out of the can and it going everywhere but the foils ha ha :lol:

slowly losing it me thinks lols x :hug:

lol :hug:

we had a very senior TIGI rep. come to our salon on tuesday to teach us about their whole range, he was absolutely adamant that pre pigging is a waste of time and is a complete fabrication to get money from stylists. He said that if someone is full head bleached blonde or very light blonde, if ur putting a darker colour on, then the colour already has the pigments needed to stop it going khaki. I think this makes sense if u think about the principles of underlying pigments. i know that he wasn't making it up because he wasn't there to sell us any products. if you think about it, it makes sense (a base 6 colour should have orange and yellow pigments in it anyway to make it that colour)
You're right, sort of....

A base 6 will have some yellow and orange in it, but unless it is a gold, orange, red or yellow base, there isn't enough to keep the hair from going an off tone. A base 6 with a ash or cool tone won't have enough yellow and orange to keep the hair from appearing khaki at best, grey at worst.

Each manufacturer has a slightly different tone to their bases, unless you know the actual tone of THAT base 6, prepig is strongly recommended (unless you really, really like consoling tears and convincing the overwrought client you DO know what you are doing...

"American" colors usually have a warmer tone or blended tones, where "European" colors have a pure tone and a true neutral to mix with. There are always exceptions to the rule, but generally speaking, you can go to a base 6 with an "American" brand- Scruples, Clairol- and be alright.

Students will try pretty much anything, including slapping color from a box over their previously bleached hair because they wanted something different with out filling. Sometimes it comes out fine (others its greenish) the biggest issue is with fading.

Prepigmentation puts enough artificial molecules back in the hair that it doesn't fade as quickly and when it does fade it usually fades as an acceptable color instead of going flat or grey.

Hi, Wella always reccomend pre pigmenting before putting any darker colours over bleached hair , in the UK we still get the dreaded grab......
so it would be nice to use a good colour line knowing you wouldn't get grab
that would be really great :)

Latest posts

Back