Problem with tanning solution..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauren-ox

Reaction score
So i recently purchased an omg tanning solution sample pack with all the dha %'s and the fragrances.. so far ive done 3 tans - one with 9% in strawberry suprise, one 12% in cherry bomb, and a 16% in tropical coconut (all on my friends). Once applying them i noticed they werent very drying in some areas? i got my mum to spray me with the remains of the 16% in tropical coconut and found that around my neck and chest area it was tacky untill literally the next morning?! I found it really uncomfortable and i was wondering if this is normal? I currently use fakebake and find that after about 10 minutes after application i can still feel the tan but it does dry and i could still go out while its developing, however with the omg tan i would not like to go out feeling sticky all day!! I dried my friends and myself with the hose all over but still found this made no difference? Can somone please tell me if they've also found this, and is there a solution to it or is this just the way the tan is? Thankyou xx

Ive used OMG testers too and found the same thing, i think you get what you pay for where a tan is concerned and OMG is quite cheap. I found the fade off also wasnt very good. I now use Vita Liberata as this dries literally a few seconds after it hits the skins. It gives a nice even, thin coat and the fade off is amazing.

Hope this helps x

I too found OMG 16% and 20% very sticky in the extreme. We used hairdryers to try and dry the body and clothing was left off for at least 2 hours but none of this really helped.
We'd heard that the higher DHA's can often take longer to dry and can feel "stickier" but have found that none of the following leave the same feeling as OMG..... Tandare 18% , LA Tanning Disco 18%, Sienna X 16% .

ditto, I do stock OMG 20% as I have a few clients who love the colour and put up with the stickyness, but its not for me I wouldnt stock any other colour in the range.
Try sampling Nouvatans 16% or A Tan 16%, Nouvatan gives a the most natural gorgeous bronzed colour dries almost instantly. Even though it 16% you can still go about your business as ususal before showering colour guide off, and the great thing about the Nouvatan range is regardless of the percentage the colour guides are the same. So you can confidently tell your 16% clients she will not look ridiculous whilst developing! Its a very fine solution you easily get 25 full bodies from litre, super value.

I use OMG, but will be changing when I run out of stock because I hate the wear off, but the application and drying time is fantastic, I cant understand why you are having problems. xx

thanks everyone! im glad its not just me whos noticed it! xx

i usually use sienna x....i love it!! mainly for its quick drying time...i usually always go back to it after trying something different. I have just started to use the beach bum tan......its a thinner consistancy that the sienna x so had to turn the spray down a bit as seemed to come out faster but i love it....and it is very reasonably priced. It dries reletivly fast...may be not as fast a sienna x but still very nice. i am very pleased with it.

what made you try it as an alternative to fake bake?? was it the price??
xx

Hi There,

I use OMG Products on my self and spray clients on a daily basis. I also spray my colleges.
I always ask my clients and my colleges to give me their own thoughts on the tan. Wheteher they are good or bad comments, feed back is esstential to me. Never have they told me they feel sticky or tacky, so this is weird. When i spray anybody, i always ask if they want to be blowed with the hose if they did feel tacky. Most of them dont want this doing. In the creases of the arms and at the back of the legs seem to be areas that feel alittle sticky to them if they do require it. But i certainly would never stand with a hairdryer to dry them off.

I understand there is a couple of people finding this problem! How much solution are you using? I use 50ml max for each client. Maybe overspraying the client maybe causing this problem. Also the gun settings maybe to high.

If you need any help or advise i will try to help you in the best way i can, just pm me.

Betsy

I don't find this at all. In fact a couple of people have commented on how quick the solution dries in itself. No need for me to use the hose on them lol x

Hi There,

But i certainly would never stand with a hairdryer to dry them off.

I understand there is a couple of people finding this problem! How much solution are you using? I use 50ml max for each client. Maybe overspraying the client maybe causing this problem. Also the gun settings maybe to high.

If you need any help or advise i will try to help you in the best way i can, just pm me.

Betsy

Hello Betsy -

Here's my answers which may help you to find some ideas for the other geekers..

I've tried the OMG 20 and 16 with both a Maximist and also HVLP 700 . The HVLP 700 has 3 output settings and warm air function which dries the solution on the skin as you go along and it's still sticky.

I never overspray or get too close - been doing it quite a long time - about 5 years. If it was my technique causing it, then I'd be finding it happened with other samples I've tried and the other solutions I regularly use :wink2:

I generally use much less than 50ml - around 40mls - sometimes even less - so I'm not flooding the skin with product.

I always check my gun settings - and always do the couchroll test for good measure.

The person I trialled it on doesn't have greasy skin - they've been a guinea pig for loads of solutions and have never had this happen before. They were sprayed with it on 3 separate occasions to make sure it was a more effective experiment or trial, if you like.

Last edited:
Hello Betsy -

I've tried the OMG 20 and 16 with both a Maximist and also HVLP 700 . The HVLP 700 has 3 output settings and warm air function which dries the solution on the skin as you go along and it's still sticky.

I never overspray or get too close - been doing it quite a long time - about 5 years. If it was my technique causing it, then I'd be finding it happened with other samples I've tried and the other solutions I regularly use :wink2:

I generally use much less than 50ml - around 40mls - sometimes even less - so I'm not flooding the skin with product.

I always check my gun settings - and always do the couchroll test for good measure.

The person I trialled it on doesn't have greasy skin - they've been a guinea pig for loads of solutions and have never had this happen before. They were sprayed with it on 3 separate occasions to make sure it was a more effective experiment or trial, if you like.

I love OMG! i never get this problem. It always gets complimented on how quickley it dries.
If all the things listed here r done correctly an it will be extremely wierd how u still hav the this problem. :S Maybe your cleints has something on their skin or is using a products thats stopping the tan from sinkin into these areas.
I onestly dont belive its the tanning solution. its a good tanning solution and my clinets love the colour. Its all down to personal prefence at the end of the day and everibodys skin is different.

I love OMG! i never get this problem. It always gets complimented on how quickley it dries.
Maybe your cleints has something on their skin or is using a products thats stopping the tan from sinkin into these areas.
My guinea pig (ie my eldest daughter) follows the tanning pre and post-prep rules to the letter - they've been successfully having tans for 5 years. If they weren't following the "rules" or it was my technique, then as I mentioned before, I suspect they'd have been experiencing issues with all the other tans I've trialled on them, or with the solutions we generally use.
It isn't actually an issue that the tan doesn't "sink in" - if that were happening, then we'd probably be seeing problems when she showers off the next day, with patchiness - but we aren't....until the fade-off kicks in.

It's nice to know it isn't just us with the 20% and 16% and I really want to reassure anyone reading this that we've trialled in excess of 14 tans and the law of averages suggests that it isn't a case of bad technique or something that's been applied to the guinea-pig's skin as this is the only tan that's had the stickyness.
I guess we'll have to put up with the fade-off and the stickyness as the depth of colour is needed for certain occasions

Last edited:
Hello Betsy -

Hi There,

Just to claify, i wasnt contradicting yours or anyone elses spray tanning tequnique. I was just giving examples of what maybe wrong during application. I am fully aware that there are a a few people experiencing problems with the stickyness of the tanning solution. As i have previously said i dont really have this problem with this solution, where as i have used others and been stood in front of a fan for 15 mins drying off!
All tanning solutions are different, and react different with different peoples skin. I have used various tanning products.
I have been sprayed with a tan that was suppose to be extreme dark! i thought i was going to wake up next morning and not recognise myself, I felt disgusting and tacky init too! However after leaving the tanning solution on far longer than required... i washed off next morning and i never had a ounce of colour. Then my friend goes a lovely brown colour with it and doesnt feel the tackyness.
It is a weird one!!
I am also aware that there are various people finding a problem with the fade off. Giving the right pre and aftercare advise is essential also as you have said your daughter is a dancer and is very pale? you will find the fade off quite bad with her natural skin tone if you are putting a 16% on her. Unfortunatly thats the tan she needs! There are ways of getting the tan off, although you will still be left with some patches for a while as there is nothing as yet that will completely strip it.

I take all feedback of the tanning solutions on board and i always try to help the best way i can and find solutions to the problems.

Betsy

Hi There,

Just to claify, i wasnt contradicting yours or anyone elses spray tanning tequnique. I was just giving examples of what maybe wrong during application. I am fully aware that there are a a few people experiencing problems with the stickyness of the tanning solution. As i have previously said i dont really have this problem with this solution, where as i have used others and been stood in front of a fan for 15 mins drying off!
All tanning solutions are different, and react different with different peoples skin. I have used various tanning products.
I have been sprayed with a tan that was suppose to be extreme dark! i thought i was going to wake up next morning and not recognise myself, I felt disgusting and tacky init too! However after leaving the tanning solution on far longer than required... i washed off next morning and i never had a ounce of colour. Then my friend goes a lovely brown colour with it and doesnt feel the tackyness.
It is a weird one!!
I am also aware that there are various people finding a problem with the fade off. Giving the right pre and aftercare advise is essential also as you have said your daughter is a dancer and is very pale? you will find the fade off quite bad with her natural skin tone if you are putting a 16% on her. Unfortunatly thats the tan she needs! There are ways of getting the tan off, although you will still be left with some patches for a while as there is nothing as yet that will completely strip it.

I take all feedback of the tanning solutions on board and i always try to help the best way i can and find solutions to the problems.

Betsy

Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't actually taking it as an insult to my technique lol!!! :wink2:I only mentioned all the things I did, including technique, so that a few possibilites or potential issues for causing probelms with a tan, could be crossed off the list. I wanted to be really thorough in providing as much info as I could as I didn't want to waste anyone's precious and very valuable time:wink2:

Any ideas about the stickyness and how it can be avoided, Betsy, as I do need to keep using OMG 20%? If you're ever down this part of the world, you're welcome to come and do a demo and perhaps we see how the stickyness can be put right - do a bit of trouble-shooting lol! :)

Last edited:
i usually use sienna x....i love it!! mainly for its quick drying time...i usually always go back to it after trying something different. I have just started to use the beach bum tan......its a thinner consistancy that the sienna x so had to turn the spray down a bit as seemed to come out faster but i love it....and it is very reasonably priced. It dries reletivly fast...may be not as fast a sienna x but still very nice. i am very pleased with it.

what made you try it as an alternative to fake bake?? was it the price??
xx

yes it was the price, also alot of therapists and salons are offering fake bake now so wanted to offer something different! Ive also tried sienna x and your totally right, i love the quick drying time! Its pretty much the same as fakebake on how it dries xx

yes it was the price, also alot of therapists and salons are offering fake bake now so wanted to offer something different! Ive also tried sienna x and your totally right, i love the quick drying time! Its pretty much the same as fakebake on how it dries xx

same as me then ....alot offer fake bake around me as well ...but i like to be different also with compromising on quality. I know fake bake is pretty much ranked no.1 in terms of tanning ...but it really didnt suit me which is why i opted for sienna. If you are looking for something different then id totally recommend the beach bum tan.... get a sample and try it. I was very impressed!!

OMG, Tried it didnt like it, very reasonably priced, but yes the drying time was horrendous :Scared: sticky tacky and wear off onto clients clothes. I also find that the tan terrible on fade off, however the guys at HB are brilliant and are always offering freebies, but I now use brown Bitz for a cheaper solution and to offer clients a cheaper alternative then I use Sienna for the more expensive tans, each to there own solutions. Have recently been guinea pigging the La Tan and sunless both happy with at the moment :lol:

Latest posts

Back