Questioning your clients on first contact

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enhanced-Barbie

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am just beginning to work from home and am a little unsure about what kind of information to ask for when speaking to a new client.

I am wondering, do you wait until the client comes to you and decide what to do then, or do you ask questions about their nails on contact (whether its phone or email or text message)?

What kind of questions would you ask?

I can think of plenty of questions that could help, but there must be a couple of questions that can sum it all up and not seem rude or like an interigation.

When a new client phones i just ask for
their name
contact number
and which treatment they would like,
all other questions are asked at the appointment while i do the consultation, hth :hug:

When a new client phones i just ask for
their name
contact number
and which treatment they would like,
all other questions are asked at the appointment while i do the consultation, hth :hug:

Thanks for your reply :hug:

I was just thinking that it might be helpful if I knew what kind of condition their nails were in before they arrived.
Because I haven't dealt with many different issues before (was working at a 'patch and dispatch' kiosk) it would be helpful for me to know what to expect before they came so I can do any research required before their appointment.

I think it's always helpful to get as much information as you can in that first phone call, and it helps to start building a rapport for when your client first comes to you.

I normally always ask, have they had their nails done before, as this normally opens up to either a floodgate of, oh yes but they fell off blah blah or yes they have and whatever the story is there. It lets you start to build a picture in your mind about the clients and her needs etc. iykwim.

Of course, seeing the nails is another matter altogether and you may find that what you have discussed on the phone is not what you intend to do after the consultation.

hth :)

I think it's always helpful to get as much information as you can in that first phone call, and it helps to start building a rapport for when your client first comes to you.

I normally always ask, have they had their nails done before, as this normally opens up to either a floodgate of, oh yes but they fell off blah blah or yes they have and whatever the story is there. It lets you start to build a picture in your mind about the clients and her needs etc. iykwim.

Of course, seeing the nails is another matter altogether and you may find that what you have discussed on the phone is not what you intend to do after the consultation.

hth :)
Same here, plus its always good to know if your client is an habitual nail biter or not before you see her. xx

1. Have you had your nails enhanced before? When?

As francesXXX said, usually this opens up the floodgates and you might get more info than you wanted. (tbh - Suze - most of the people you will run into will probably be ones who have been butchered up at Professionnail or have a mate who has been etc.)

That first question usually leads to :
2. What would they like? Do they want them for a special occasion/one off, are they trying to grow out their own nails, are they a nailbiter who needs guidance.

I also let them know that if they are used to the chop shops, that they need to block at least two hours for the first appointment so you have time for consultation and advice.

When they get there, have a look see, ask about any medical conditions- etc. Do you have a client consultation card/record? I've one I can email you if you want. You need to be sure they don't have any contraindications (yes, I know you know this, just reiterating).

Good luck mate, you'll be sweet. Email me if you want to see my "paperwork" OK?

N.

I think you are better off not knowing, it might make you worry about them if they say they are a bad nail biter for instance and they may not be as bad as you thought when they arrive.

Thanks for all the advice so far, very helpful :)

Eni, I dont have a printer at the moment! So am going to wing it with no client records for a start (I know, bad bad) but until I get myself more established I dont have much choice.

I don't plan to spend any personal money on nails (simply because I can't afford to) so I will have to wait until I have enough clients through and my products replenished/added to before I can afford to do any kind of client records/business cards etc.

The way I've worked it out, is that if I can get enough clients, I will be able to start a business from just the cost of my course, luckily I got 2 kits at my course, so my 1st was used to practice/learn and my second to start taking paying clients.

I thought you had to keep client record cards for insurance purposes? No offence just don't want you coming unstuck! I am new too and unfortunately had to invest in a new printer as mine died - I don't have spare cash either but figured it was better than getting sued! In regard to business cards etc I have used Vista print and they are fab for cards, gift vouchers, price lists, car decals etc - most of the time only have to pay for postage - well worth it!! Good luck xx

I thought you had to keep client record cards for insurance purposes? No offence just don't want you coming unstuck! I am new too and unfortunately had to invest in a new printer as mine died - I don't have spare cash either but figured it was better than getting sued! In regard to business cards etc I have used Vista print and they are fab for cards, gift vouchers, price lists, car decals etc - most of the time only have to pay for postage - well worth it!! Good luck xx

I totally agree with this, is it really worth it for the sake of a few pounds. Epson do some really cheap printers plus the cartridges are cheap to replace especially if you buy compatable ink cartridges as opposed to Epson ink cartridges. I buy my ink cartridges from Cartridge People | ink cartridges, printer cartridges, laser toners

and my printer is this one Epson Stylus DX4000 All-In-One InkJet Printer - Search, Compare, and Find Great Deals at DealTime.co.uk which is perfectly fine for a cheap all in one that doesnt cost the earth to buy or for the replacement cartridges.

alternatively isnt there somewhere where you can buy a pack of consultation cards, I know CND do them so others must do too.

As a last straw you could always print some off at a copy shop.

hope that helps

anne xx

I think its a bit different in New Zealand guys

In New Zealand if working from home, the only insurance you might need to have is liability insurance. Even then it is a decision up to you as to whether you have it or not. All your products is covered under your home and contents insurance.

Enhanced if you have a printer and a pc you can easily make up a client consultation and record card, that's all I have done.

Last edited:
In New Zealand if working from home, the only insurance you might need to have is liability insurance. Even then it is a decision up to you as to wether you have it or not. All your products is covered under your home and contents insurance.

Enhanced if you have a printer and a pc you can easily make up a client consultation and record card, that's all I have done.

Thanks grafxgal I was 98% sure that that was the case.

I do have a PC, but my printer has no ink and I have to do at least a few clients before I'll have money to spend on nail stuff. (refer to my blog for the reasoning behind that).
Maybe ill design some forms and use my first clients money to get some printed at the library, it would make things a lot easier if I do happen to get busy (I'm not counting on it in the area I'm in now!)

I have my first-time clients fill out a consultation form that tells me their names, address, phone number and date of birth (I send out birthday cards with a 15% birthday discount), and then I ask them when their last salon visit was, what type of enhancement they got, what condition THEY think their nails are in, if they are on any medication (as some can effect the performance of the enhancements) and what they like and dislike most about their nails.

I can forward you a copy of what my form looks like. I have it on my computer.

I have my first-time clients fill out a consultation form that tells me their names, address, phone number and date of birth (I send out birthday cards with a 15% birthday discount), and then I ask them when their last salon visit was, what type of enhancement they got, what condition THEY think their nails are in, if they are on any medication (as some can effect the performance of the enhancements) and what they like and dislike most about their nails.

I can forward you a copy of what my form looks like. I have it on my computer.

Thanks but I wont be working with client forms for a start, and im quite happy with my knowledge of what to have on one.
I was more wondering what kind of things to ask them when they first contact you by phone or text or email

:hug:

I can send you some basic client record forms (a master and two copies of each) so you can just go down to the library and make 10 cent b/w copies.

Better to get everyone used to it from the start (yourself including). email me your snail mail postal address and I'll get em out to you on Monday.

:)

Nancy

I used consultation cards for other reasons too, to help myself, I kept a note of tip sizes for each of the clients fingers, what shape they preferred, what products i'd used, ie pink and white acrylic, was it bright white? blush pink etc... what nail polish if they had that? details of any nail art i'd done... so if they came back one week and said, oohh i really liked that colour you did 4 appointments ago, can I have that again? i'd only have to look at their record card to see what it was i'd used.

You might be able to remember when you only have a couple of clients but not when you get really busy - jmo!

There's no reason that your consultation/record cards need to be printed. Just do them by hand until you get going. It really does help you to keep track of things. When I started I used those 8x10 cards and wrote on the by hand.

don't you have a salon supplies or similar in NZ? surely you could pick up some standard client reccord cards from there? You really do need them from the off, if not for insurance purposes but just so you have all the info written down, not storing it in your head!, at least if you have all the questions on a card you won't forget to ask something.

Sorry guys but this thread is not about whether I should have client record cards or not. I understand that they are important in a business, but unless someone here wants to give me lots of money to buy lots of fancy products and fancy stationary and fancy furniture, I will just be working with what I have.

Latest posts

Back