Race for Life

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm running the race for life 5k run on June 29th 2008 to help support Cancer Research UK. My Mum has got breast cancer at the moment and the help and support that she has received has been absolutely amazing. To show my appreciation I have decided to take part in the Race for Life so I would be really grateful if you could support me by making a donation on my fundraising page ~ Race for Life - Michelle Bevan's Fundraising Page

Thank you so much,

Michelle xx

Great idea. I've lost too many friends to cancer, it's a nasty horrible disease. :hug: Well done.

A friend of mines done this for her aunty last year

She loved it!

Well done you, sorry to hear about your mum

Well done....I'm doing it too - promised myself I would do it for Morgande, my daughter, who was diagnosed with cancer at 6 weeks old. We've spent the year with her in and out of Great Ormond Street and I promised I'd do it if she came through ok...so I am keeping my promise!

Good luck!

Thank you. I'm actually quite looking forward to doing it now! So many people have been affected by cancer in some way or other so I feel privaleged that I can actually do something to help those that help those with cancer. The Royal Marsden have been absolutely fantastic with my Mum. Has anyone else done the Race for Life before? Any tips to pass on?? xx

Well done....I'm doing it too - promised myself I would do it for Morgande, my daughter, who was diagnosed with cancer at 6 weeks old. We've spent the year with her in and out of Great Ormond Street and I promised I'd do it if she came through ok...so I am keeping my promise!

Good luck!

Is Morgande ok now?? That is so awful, I can't imagine how you must have felt. Where abouts are you doing yours? Do you have a webpage too? xx

Is Morgande ok now?? That is so awful, I can't imagine how you must have felt. Where abouts are you doing yours? Do you have a webpage too? xx

Thanks hun....she's doing well. She had to have 5 cycles of chemo, and then major surgery....but thankfully it was all successful and she is currently clear, with about a 90% chance of no further issues.

The whole story is in my blogs....feel free to have a read.

http://www.salongeek.com/blog.php?u=7492

And there are some pics of her in my albums....I'll add you to my friends list so you can see.

http://www.salongeek.com/members/zingara.htmlhttp://www.salongeek.com/blog.php?u=7492

Apparently I do have a webpage....but my husband set it up this morning, so i am waiting for him to get back in for me to find the details! I'm doing mine in Caernarvon...in Noth Wales.

You know what....I wonder if there may be a few geeks doing it....I'm sure there were some last year. I may set up a group so we can all share our training stories and motivate one another...what do you think?

That is an excellent idea!! I'll share mine with you ~ I decided to go for a run this morning and had my pedometre on me. I was jogging for 1/2 hour, it wasn't too difficult (infact it was lovely to be out in the sunshine) and I ran 1.78 miles. 5k is 3.1 miles so I wasn't too far off but considering that was my first attempt, I don't think it is going to be as hard as I first thought!

I've just read your blog and it was a lovely read ~ how uplifting it is to hear someone feeling so positive about life!

Let me know your web page when your husband lets you know ~ I'll definately be sponsoring you xx

I will be running on the 3rd May at Norwich

deb

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do you have to run?

Hi,

I think that is a great idea Shellie.

I have thought about doing the race for life too, as my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in October.
Unfortunately, there is nothing more they can do for my mum, and they have given her just months to live.
I'm so sorry for all of you who are also affected by cancer, and I wish all your friends/relatives the best.
I'm also here for any of you, if you want to talk to someone in the same boat.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but do you have to run?

Nope, you can walk the whole way if you want. You just can't take buggies or anything for health and safety reasons.

Are you thinking of giving it a go?

I have thought about doing the race for life too, as my mum was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in October.
Unfortunately, there is nothing more they can do for my mum, and they have given her just months to live.

I'm so sorry to hear about your Mum....its stories like hers that is one of the very reasons I am doing this. Thankfully my daughter is doing well, but Cancer kills too many people.

I've sent you an invite to our Race for Life' group on here if you decide to give it a go.

BTW everyone else, no invite needed....just click on the group and join us!

http://www.salongeek.com/group.php?groupid=26

Hi,

I think that is a great idea Shellie.
I'm so sorry for all of you who are also affected by cancer, and I wish all your friends/relatives the best.
I'm also here for any of you, if you want to talk to someone in the same boat.

I'm so sorry to hear that Michelle. If you EVER need anyone to talk to, please don't hesitate to contact me. I know how horrible it is ~ you always think that your Mum is invinsible. I didn't really believe it when they told me about my Mum. I think the race for life would be a really positive thing that you could do and it also gives you a sense that you are helping your Mum is some way. Lots of love and hugs are being sent yours and your Mums way xx

I will be running on the 3rd May at Norwich

deb

Good luck! Your's is before mine ~ mines on the 29th June so you must tell me how it is!!! xx

Nope, you can walk the whole way if you want. You just can't take buggies or anything for health and safety reasons.

Are you thinking of giving it a go?

Yeah I was thinking of having a go, but I can't run that well because I have DVT

Well done for doing this. I did the 60k walk for Breakthrough Breast Cancer about 18 months ago when my mum was going through chemo for breast cancer. Its amazing how many people are affected. Hope you do really well with your fundraising. Good luck.

Well done for doing this. I did the 60k walk for Breakthrough Breast Cancer about 18 months ago when my mum was going through chemo for breast cancer. Its amazing how many people are affected. Hope you do really well with your fundraising. Good luck.

Wow, that must have been a hard one!! Was it a bit like the moonwalk? that's where you do the marathon but through the night wearing only a bra that you can decorate how you like? Hows your Mum now? I've just dropped my Mum off to a little group that's just started at the Royal Marsden for women that are going through treatment for breast cancer now. I felt a bit like a Mum leaving her child at school for the first time ~ I didn't want to leave her!! I'm looking forward to hearing how she gets on though, should do her good xx

Yeah I was thinking of having a go, but I can't run that well because I have DVT

I would speak to your doctor first. They let you walk the course so it could possible be good for the DVT but make sure you speak to the doctor first because I really don't know myself xx

Ive joined your group - great idea!

I have completed 7 R4L's (notice the word 'completed'?) some I have walked, some run, some a bit of both! be sure you can do what you like. Most people walk or mix walk/jog.

I'll be doing mine on 18th May, in Telford Shropshire.
This year I am entering a 'team' from my salon. I have been encouraging my customers to enter (they all had geat new years resolutions to loose weight and get fit) so I challenged them to have the goal of doing the R4L!

I have had t shirts printed with my logo, for them all to wear on the day, as being part of a group is fun and exciting.

We are off on our first group 'training session' this sunday, so that they can all meet-up.
They can test their level of fitness (or ability to cover that distance even!), and then they'l know what they need to do over the next two months.
Wether thats to power walk - rather than stroll!!!!
Jog inbetween walking
jog continously
train to run faster

Everyone can do whats right for them.

I'll be taking pikkis of us all - before we set off - so I'l try and post some on here.

Good luck to you all

PS. last year i ran all 3.1miles and that was my limit!
but I carried on running, and now have been 'bitten by the bug'
My longest route now covers 10miles!!!! and I can run 2hrs without stopping.
I'v completed two 5mile road races, and am training to do a halfmarathon later in the year!
PPS. Watchout! it can be addictive.
PPPS. Welcome to the wonderful world of running!!!

Latest posts

Back