Reflexology while pregnant & bringing on labour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bombalurina

Reaction score
Hello all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I'm after some reflexology & aromatherapy advice :)

I have a client who is pregnant, and due on Sunday; needless to say she has a lovely large bump, and is desperate to give birth! This is her first baby, and she's completely healthy, pregnancy has been a breeze with no complications at all, other than her feeling very tired & fed up now.

She has asked me whether I would be able to perform reflexology on her on Monday, if nothing has happened!! (Eg, she would be 1 day overdue at that point). I do happily treat pregnant ladies anyway, and offer pregnancy massage; I find I get a lot of clients this way who stick with me once they've given birth, but i've never been asked this before! Normally I would advise a client not to have reflexology during pregnancy as it can induce labour early...but if she's overdue anyway does it matter?

She also asked me if there are any essential oils she could use to bring on the labour if she's overdue, I've told her I will look into it (Rose & geranium stimulate the menstrual cycle so I know these might help to bring on labour), but should I offer a treatment with these at that time?

What would you do, geeks? All advice welcomed! :hug:

Can't offer advice as such but wanted to say I am booking in for reflexology if I go overdue as I had heard the same thing !

One of my clients is a reflexologist and I don't think she has performed the treatment on anyone heavily pregnant but she did say it has be known to help bring on labour.

My only concern is going into labour whilst Im having the treatment !! :eek:

Funnily enough i treated a lady Saturday who was one day overdue and desperate to bring on labour as a cesarean was booked for yesterday, I tried my best! If nothing else it completely relaxed her as she has been very anxious and not sleeping well. My friend who knows her well has tried to contact her but no reply so still waiting to hear whats happened and when!

x

I'd ask her to make sure the baby is engaged, as my daughter (due yesterday!!) was at the midwife for her appointment and the midwife told her that the baby had disengaged, even though it was 3/5 engaged the week before. She sad that normally she would have done an internal at this point to try to bring on labour, but she wouldn't as if she did, an arm or the cord could present first as the head wasn't down. This would obviously be very risky.

I had a reflexology treatment when I was 2 days o/d, it didn't work for me as I had to be induced after 10 days!!
As far as I know it is a safe way to induce labour naturally, have a look at this website I found whilst I was pregant
Reflexology to induce labor

I always tell my clients when they ask that the baby will come when it's ready (or with help from the doctor). I just let them know reflexology can relax them, but not put them into labour.

Jasmine and lavender essential oils are good during labour as the may speed up labour itself. Jasmine is also a very good calming oil to use as is clary sage, however I would be careful with CS as it can be deemed to be a narcotic oil and produce quite vivid dreams etc.

Thanks for your replys geeks, I will obviously do a consultation with her first and check the position of the baby beforehand. I think I will do the treatment provided all is well, and if not I'll do a massage instead :)
:hug:

Reflexology for ladies who is o/d is great, the best thing ever. I did my reflexology course in new Zealand and they told us that it is the best treatment for someone who is o/d. It is very relaxing and as well it clears the energy ways(because if you're anxious and not sleeping well your energy is very low, so it could delay the labor). It boosts your natural immune system too. I had many pregnant o/d clients, and it helped about 80% of them. It is important to tell her that the baby will come when it's ready,but reflexology will be a great help. I think you should offer her this wonderful treatment, even if it won't speed up the labor, it will relax her, which is very important too.

Thanks Anastasia, that's really helpful :) :hug:
Do you think i should do more work over the womb/reproduction areas, or should I just do my "basic" routine without really concentrating on any specific areas?

I read that there was research showing reflexology is very good after baby arrives to get mum back to 'normal' after the birth.

Thanks Anastasia, that's really helpful :) :hug:
Do you think i should do more work over the womb/reproduction areas, or should I just do my "basic" routine without really concentrating on any specific areas?

I usually concentrate on cold energy pressure points, pregnant feel quite hot, so as Chinese believe you need to introduce a bit of cooling energy to balance it. I concentrate a bit more on womb/reproduction areas too, but not too much. But to be honest, the most important thing is to make her feel relaxed and safe. Tell her to come for reflexology after the baby is born, it will help her to recover quicker.:hug:

Latest posts

Back