rent shock!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think £50 a day is fine if the salon is busy and nice. I paid this when i was self-employed but was making on average £1000 a week so it worked out as 25% which i thought was pretty good!

It really depends on how big the client base is and if the salon is really nice it means you can charge a bit more to offset the cost.

Why not try Thursdays and Saturdays?? They are our busy days and it means you get the late night in as well.

thanks for that- i dont know what to do as getting mixed opinions- good idea re the thurs & sat though.

now thinking perhaps if i contact her tomorrow & ask if she could lower rent to £30 per day for the first 3 months, for 2 days per week. knock of the vat bit, assure me that there will be no other nail techs in on the days that i am in, confirm that there will be a contract a few other things....

any belfast geeks out there- what you renting?? perhaps belfast is just expensive- how would i go about finding out what other people/salon owners charge in belfast- there are so many salons - i couldnt fone them all on the hope that one maybe rents out a nail station to somone.. does anybody know how i change the name of my thread to include (belfast) so that people from here would read?

Maybe the £50 a day is already inclusive of the VAT??? I can't see why you would be exempt to pay it if she is VAT registered.

Maybe speak to her and see if she will include the VAT in the £50?? Unless you think you can register for VAT yourself and increase your prices a bit to cover this.

When I rented space this was the deal the boss there wanted me to take, but I said what happens if its a slow day? what if I had no clients at all:eek:
So we finally settled on 20% now on a busy day, she actully made more out of me but I didn't mind because I had the peace of mind that on a slow day my rent wasn't eating into my profit.

I think it sounds like a good deal for what you're getting and the potential earnings, being that it's in a busy town centre.

I'm pretty sure that there's no VAT on rent so I wouldn't pay that.

how experienced are you nat?
this is pretty expensive rent, and for you to be able to make money you would need to be doing great nails pretty quickly.
i know you plan to use pop its, and they would be a good time saver, but they wont suit every type of nail that comes along.
to keep up with that sort of rent you will need to produce excellent work so that you get return clients. but then dont forget that they will be wanting rebalance not full sets and as you know they will be at a lower rate.

i would not go for that deal and i'm fairly experienced. so just give it some thought and do all your sums before you commit yourself.

im qualified a year & half doing nails from home- working in friends salon at mo on saturdays just helping her out while she gets a perma nail tech- so not overally experienced- though i think im quite good (but still not brave enough to put my pics up here !)
my lovely fella taking me out tonight to have a good chat about it- im 90% sure im going to call her & turn down the opportunity- too risky & i have bills to pay which worries me more than anything.

being self employed certainly has its good & bad points doesnt it!

just wana say thanks to all you guys for all your advice on this tonight- stopped me making a big mistake

(((hugs)))
xxxx

im qualified a year & half doing nails from home- working in friends salon at mo on saturdays just helping her out while she gets a perma nail tech- so not overally experienced- though i think im quite good (but still not brave enough to put my pics up here !)
my lovely fella taking me out tonight to have a good chat about it- im 90% sure im going to call her & turn down the opportunity- too risky & i have bills to pay which worries me more than anything.

being self employed certainly has its good & bad points doesnt it!

just wana say thanks to all you guys for all your advice on this tonight- stopped me making a big mistake

(((hugs)))
xxxx

maybe she'll consider a lower rent or a commision basis.
it would be a good opportunity location and facility wise, but the rent is just tooooo high.

Hi , you could just do a trial period for say a month two days a week to see how you like it and see if it takes off ,

Then you could think about a contract if it shows potential

or you could just ditch it if its a bummer lol :hug: x

Have a good think about it.
This way you wouldn't lose so much if it was a no goer ,

good luck minky :hug: x

I was interested in this thread and so threw some ballpark figures, based on a continuous stream of clients and average treatment prices that I know of in my area for non popit length timings, at a chartered accountant of considerable experience. I explained about providing your own 'Consumables' and the fact that you'd have access to the facilities of the salon inclusive in your rent, just to try and give a balanced overview.

You would be liable for VAT, as the owner is VAT registered. Off the top of his head, and based on the above, he wasn't remotely impressed with the deal you'd get. The overall opinion is that if you want to do it just for the experience, then go ahead, but you'll be working flat out for pocket money!

I was interested in this thread and so threw some ballpark figures, based on a continuous stream of clients and average treatment prices that I know of in my area for non popit length timings, at a chartered accountant of considerable experience. I explained about providing your own 'Consumables' and the fact that you'd have access to the facilities of the salon inclusive in your rent, just to try and give a balanced overview.

You would be liable for VAT, as the owner is VAT registered. Off the top of his head, and based on the above, he wasn't remotely impressed with the deal you'd get. The overall opinion is that if you want to do it just for the experience, then go ahead, but you'll be working flat out for pocket money!

Deena thank you so much, thats exactly what i needed an opinion from a financial expert. I really appreciate it. Will be making a little fone call on monday to the girl just to explain my position.

thank you soooooo much :hug:

You're very welcome and I hope you can find yourself a salon owner who believes in a fair rent. At the end of the day, you're not a charity and you're working to earn a living for yourself, not just her! :hug:

Does she know what nail techs actually earn? Hairdressers have the ability to earn alot more per hour then nail techs, as well as being able to work on more then one client at a time. Talk to her about what your potential earnings & maybe she'll see the rent isn't realistic.

first of all, how much do other salons in the area charge for the treatments your going to offer? i've looked on a few sites but cant actually find anyone that offers nail enhancements!!

you can then base your prices on this, so for eg if the going rate for a full set is £45 infills £30 you would only really have to find 3 a day to keep your head above water!

if the salon is already busy alot of the hard work will have been done for you.
- although i must say i went into a busy salon, with a hairdresser and chiropodist both fully booked, and i was still very quiet. the thing was, they had the same clients day in day out, there was almost a 6 week cycle of clients, never anyone new. so those that wanted beauty treatments had them. but because of the lack of new clients and quiet location it was near on impossible to get busy.

so think about the location of the salon as well, its all very well it being busy, but does it have a lot of new clients aswell as existing?

£50 a day isnt alot if you are busy as has already been said. my first rent was either £50 a day or 50%. unforunatly for me i couldnt pick and chose wekk to week whichever worked out the cheapest lol. So to be safe i did the %.

but why dont you ask her if you could start on 40% or 50% for your first month, then review.

because then if you take £100 a day, shes got her rent!

another thing, how may stylists and other staff are there?

how many clients walk through the door every day?

why not go in for a trial, say 3 months with no strings attached. you can walk away if you decide thats its not for you.

this is what i have done, I will sign a contract after 3 months but until then both of us are under no obligation.

for the first month, she gave me a slight reduction off the rent.

remember that you have to add on the times that you take off, eg you will have time off over christmas, but will still have to pay rent. for me to take time off will cost me over £100

my nasty employer (solicitors) has just told me this morning That i can certainly not got part time to pursue another career -outof the question- even though ive worked here since i was 16 (now 23)- i cant risk it financially to go at nails full time as im on a good wage here at sols & bills to pay etc0- so im going to have to fone the hairdresser owner anyway & tell her i cant do it.
so disheartened- as i really wanted to do nails part time on a self employed basis but still work in sols part time until i got a client base to go full time.

im booked to do my creative conversion on friday & dont even feel like going now.......

sad nat :cry::cry:

aww nat - sorry to hear that - still go for your Creative Conversion you will love it!! - Why not do nails on an evening and a Saturday just to get some experience and a client base under your belt - then you could look into going full-time at a salon?

HTH's

xxxx

First up, look for work at another sols part time.
next go do your creative course, you'll love it, have fun and be inspired.
Stop being other peeps door mat.
If you are going to be self employed you have to toughen up. Otherwise you will end up in dept and on anti-depressants.
So your sol needs you full time, so thats a nice complement, but its not what you want so move on, I've got the same problem, my place needs me where I am, but I need to be moving on so, I guess that means I'm gone, which is what I will say this morning.
You tell them that much as you love working for them:rolleyes: the hours are too much and because you respect them you are telling them now that you are looking for another job with fewer hours and if an opening comes up with them before you leave you would love to take it.
Then you find your self a spot where you work on a commission i.e. twenty to twenty five per cent of what you take is paid as rent.
Just because you are self employed and part time is no excuse to be taken advantage of or for being sloppy. This place you have been thinking of going to is vat registered, good for them so they charge 17'5% on top and CLAIM IT BACK so she wants to charge you rent, plus vat, so she's charging you rent then she's charging you another 17.5% rent which she then claims back and puts in her pocket. IMO I would not want to work for someone who's morals are so................self serving.
I would walk away from this one because its my business and I want to run it my way and peeps like this usually cant stop at the rent, they have to try and interfere in all aspects, Angel fingers and I have both had a run in with a woman like this. We both walked away. Good luck with your new business, have you got a name for it yet?

ok news on this.

Have found a beauty salon that will let me rent a table for £115 a week- therefore less than £20 a day & 2/3rds less than the other place (when you added the VAT i would be paying on the £50 per day).

Only thing with this one is its not city centre but still within the city.- in a posher more upmarket end of town.

Only thing putting me off this one is that there are already two nail techs there renting tables- she says one has a full client base & wont be taking on any more clients & the other does bio-sculptured so they want an acyrlic tech. She said id be totally out on my own they dont help with marketing etc- i would have to do alot of that myself & any walk ins would be mine (provided they wanted acrylic).

As my employer wont give me part time i was thinking of using my holidays to take off every friday for two months - during this time i would work fri & sats (this would be provided this lady lets me work just fridays & sats for 1sttwo months as only thought of this after i have spoken to her) & that would give me time to (hopefully) build up a client base to know whether it would be safe to leave job full time. I would still be earning my full wages from job in sols so would have the money to pump into advertising my services both before & during this trial period. Hopefully after to the months I would have a fair idea if it was working out

What do you guys think- the only thing worrying me is the other two nail techs & perhaps not having the opportunity to gain as many clients as i would have had i been the only nail tech & also in a hair salon - other down side is that i cant do my spray tans either....

think i should just hold out for another city centre hair salon where i would be only nail tech & have area for spray tans??

ok news on this.

Have found a beauty salon that will let me rent a table for £115 a week- therefore less than £20 a day & 2/3rds less than the other place (when you added the VAT i would be paying on the £50 per day).

Only thing with this one is its not city centre but still within the city.- in a posher more upmarket end of town.

Only thing putting me off this one is that there are already two nail techs there renting tables- she says one has a full client base & wont be taking on any more clients & the other does bio-sculptured so they want an acyrlic tech. She said id be totally out on my own they dont help with marketing etc- i would have to do alot of that myself & any walk ins would be mine (provided they wanted acrylic).

As my employer wont give me part time i was thinking of using my holidays to take off every friday for two months - during this time i would work fri & sats (this would be provided this lady lets me work just fridays & sats for 1sttwo months as only thought of this after i have spoken to her) & that would give me time to (hopefully) build up a client base to know whether it would be safe to leave job full time. I would still be earning my full wages from job in sols so would have the money to pump into advertising my services both before & during this trial period. Hopefully after to the months I would have a fair idea if it was working out

What do you guys think- the only thing worrying me is the other two nail techs & perhaps not having the opportunity to gain as many clients as i would have had i been the only nail tech & also in a hair salon - other down side is that i cant do my spray tans either....

think i should just hold out for another city centre hair salon where i would be only nail tech & have area for spray tans??

you really, and i mean REALLY, need to make sure theres enough clients to go round 3 techs!!

I wouldnt ever work with other renting therapists again. For two reasons, 1 i want exclusivity on th clients, and 2, i dont want to be under the same roof as potentially 'bad' therapists. They may or may not be up to your standards, and its horrible that you can be tarred with the same brush. Just something to think about.

of course its not always like that.

Latest posts

Back