Revlon polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cookiemonster

Reaction score
Hi fellow geeks

Now please don't shoot me down in flames, but what are your thoughts on revlon polish? I've had a few bottles for over a yr now and used several times and still it produces good consistent coverage with no glooping what so ever unlike the other brands I have tried like opi, nails inc and china glaze which gloop after a while. I remember geeg in an earlier reply to my first post remarking on how well revlon manicurists can polish - is this maybe because of the polish or the training they received combined with the polish- just a thought!! :idea:

I have had OPI and China Glaze and CND polishes for literally years , they have been in my car in the heat and in the snow and none of them have ever gone gloopy.

Revlon is a good polish there is no doubt about that, it is just that professionals sometimes prefer to use professional brands that their clients cannot buy in the shops. Personally I go for quality and colour so it wouldn't necessarily put me off buying them if I saw a colour I couldn't get in my professional brands. :green:

Revlon polish is really good. The only thing that let's them down is their colour range

x

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek

I have had OPI and China Glaze and CND polishes for literally years , they have been in my car in the heat and in the snow and none of them have ever gone gloopy.

Revlon is a good polish there is no doubt about that, it is just that professionals sometimes prefer to use professional brands that their clients cannot buy in the shops. Personally I go for quality and colour so it wouldn't necessarily put me off buying them if I saw a colour I couldn't get in my professional brands. :green:

It's just strange that every polish i've ever had has evetually gone gloopy even tho I keep in in the fridge or cool cupboard but REVLON just outshines the rest in application for me. I realise that nail clients expect opi etc but tbh REVLON is the best I've ever used- just my opinion. (I'm not a revlon agent - honestly!!!):)

I don't stick to just one brand, my polishes are a mix and match display. I have never had negative comments and the colours that are cheapest ie Revlon, Rimmel are just as popular as my OPI Range or any other leading professional brand xxx

I like to offer professional products in a professional environment it just looks like you know what you doing and I charge more so wanna be the best professional I can be. I do a Mani for $30.00 I couldn't charge that using Revlon. Not putting Revlon down. I just feel like you get what you pay for. When it's the customer paying for a premium service. Not even the local nail chop shops on every corner use plain ole store brand polishes.
Example: if you went to salon to get your hair done would you want the hair professional using Suave shampoo on your hair just because in her eyes it works great? I know I would never go back to that salon. Same goes for nails. The only time I use store brand is if client brings it in for me to use.

There could be a day when one of your clients turns round to you and say's:

I thought you was a professional?
I thought I was getting a professional service?
With professional products?
Why are you using Revlon, which I can by myself in Boots???

xx

There could be a day when one of your clients turns round to you and say's:

I thought you was a professional?
I thought I was getting a professional service?
With professional products?
Why are you using Revlon, which I can by myself in Boots???

xx

I see what you're saying but then again you could get free nails inc polish in boots when buying coca cola a few months back and you can also purchase opi polish from sally's without a trade card, so it's really down to how good the polish is and how professionally it's applied- maybe!!

I like to offer professional products in a professional environment it just looks like you know what you doing and I charge more so wanna be the best professional I can be. I do a Mani for $30.00 I couldn't charge that using Revlon. Not putting Revlon down. I just feel like you get what you pay for. When it's the customer paying for a premium service. Not even the local nail chop shops on every corner use plain ole store brand polishes.
Example: if you went to salon to get your hair done would you want the hair professional using Suave shampoo on your hair just because in her eyes it works great? I know I would never go back to that salon. Same goes for nails. The only time I use store brand is if client brings it in for me to use.

Sometimes you do get what you pay or and other times you might really want that bag made by 'G' and ending in 'CCI' but you could buy a similar bag for less £'s or $'s and does the same job if not better. I think some people buy too much into brand names sometimes, I'm not saying that the afore mentioned polishes are not quality products just that in my experience revlon polish outshines them in quite a few aspects.

I think it can depend on your client mix. I know my clients want professionalism that's why they come to me!

Personally I would not want to go anywhere that didn't use professional products. I don't want my beautician giving me a facial using Boots own brand or Oil of Olay, or my waxer to use Veet strips or my hairdresser to use a box of dye I can buy for £5 in a chemist! All these products may be good, but its not the point. I am paying for a professional service.

I have used and have OPI & CND polish for years and it has not gone gloopy. Go into any NSS, they have all different polish brands on display (some professional some not), clients choose on colour (I assume), but it just looks messy and unprofessional.

As a professional I think you should be promoting what you believe in, your clients will trust your judgement. If you can make a profit selling and using Revlon - fine. However you will not have the buying power of Boots, Tesco etc. who will do all sorts of promotions, so you will never be able to compete on price. OPI can be bought in Selfridges, Harrods and John Lewis, but they stick to the RRP so people like me can still turn a decent profit. The three shops mentioned are also places clients associate with quality and are rarely local.

Maybe you don't sell polish or products?? If so you are missing a big income revenue. Some of my clients call in my salon between appointments if they know I have a new OPI range arriving.

As I said at the beginning of this post, it depends on your clientele and the type you want to attract. Call it snobbery, but those who choose quality are generally the ones who have the available income to spend in your salon and keep your business profitable.

JMHO :hug:

Yes it is true there are knock products that are great!!
It is up to you how you run your business but since the topic was for a professional opinion I just gave my thoughts.
I think we should stand behind professional products, no matter what we use at home.
Also we have enough non licensed people doing nail services. We don't want other actual nail professionals making us look second hand as well. We have high standards to live up to already. :(

I have just returned from the states and whilst I was over there I went to check out some nail salons, one that I went into had a rack on the wall with polishes all mixed brands from chemist bought to opi IMO it just looked cheap and awful to make it worse they were charging a fortune - I think if your going to use a brand use it in it's entirety I don't think mixing and matching is professional. I think if you have a collection of a few brands that's fine but a few colours from here there and everywhere is not really a good impression

Maybe you could contact revlon and find out if they can supply to you trade

. Same goes for nails. The only time I use store brand is if client brings it in for me to use.

LOL, and don't you just love it when client brings in (her) polish and it's naff and gloopy with a really rubbish brush and she 'just' has to have that shade! :green:

Just as a bit of info, years ago manicure used to be taught to hairdressers. This was before the term 'beauty therapist' was even adopted and specific beauty training even existed. The 'manicure' taught was the Revlon manicure as this was the first company to produce nail polish. The 'manicure' was taken away from the hairdressers when the whole beauty industry started (and this wasn't that many years ago!)

Back to what many are discussing on this thread: I agree that a good point of difference for the professional is only to use professional products that are not available on the high street. But, surely the most important aspect of polish and painting is that a professional can do a far better job than their clients! That's why they keep coming back (hopefully). You are selling them polishes so, by implication, you are suggesting they can use them at home.

I don't think it's the polish that is the issue where 'professional products' are concerned. It's all the products that you don't sell to your clients that are the important bit. I don't mind what a hairdresser uses to wash my hair but I do mind what they use to colour it.

To my mind it is how well the polish is applied that is the most important issue for the professional.

When i was taught with revlon products many moons ago 1981 to be precise. Revlon was about the best brand and was excellent and still is.there was no OPI or creative way back then, as far as im aware.Their cuticle cream was especially good.I have always had a soft spot for revlon.

I am fully qualified and offer my customers the best I can manage. Maybe one day I can afford to up my ante and use only professional products but to be honest my Salon is based in a small mining village in an Indoor Market. People will not pay top end prices. I have set my business up from personal funds and have focussed most of this on advertising and professional acrylic and gel systems. Nail polishes are important and if ever I experienced a negative comment I would instantly reconsider but I have never had a bad comment and have a good % of return customers.

I have professional products available as well at Revlon etc, my customer get to choose the polish they would like. My top coat is lumos which I love. customers always comment on how shiny and fresh the polish looks even after several days.

I don't consider myself to be letting the professionals down or lowering the standards. I consider myself to be starting at the bottom and trying to work up whilst making a living and keeping my customers happy xxxx

Latest posts

Back