rottweilers, are they dangerous??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm really, well how often do you see a retriever used as a guard dog, rottweilers and other similer dogs have that reputation for a reason and recent events prove it! its not the media reporting that makes people belive it, its the way it is.

Couldn't have put it better myself....Rottweilers aren't born thinking "ooh yes, when I grow up I'll be a big ferocious guard dog who would enjoy nothing better than giving someone a good mauling!" Humans created the job of 'guard dog' and humans trained such dogs accordingly.

ANY dog that is trained as a guard dog will be a threat to humans.

ANY dog that is brought up and trained correctly will be a far less significant threat to humans, a risk more on par with driving your car, riding a horse, crossing the street, walking through a field of bullocks. It's called life and I'm fed up of the human belief that anything that may be a risk to them should be eliminated from this Earth.

Where did I ever say they should be eliminated Amy, I just said that in my opinion they should not be kept as pets, dont twist my words love.

We had an animal behaviourist in to help us train Max (the aforementioned labrador cross), the fact of the matter came down to bare basics... he didn't understand what we wanted or expected of him... we were taught by the behaviourist how to interact with Max as owners and not playthings, this helped immensely... he started to become the kind of dog that didn't destroy our home when we left him alone... he started to understand what was expected of him... why? because we spoke to him via his stomach... we gave him treats when he did as we commanded/asked... he understood that when we gave the hand signal to sit at the same time as the word SIT that we meant it and if he did as we asked he got a food treat... it doesn't take rocket science to understand dogs...
it just takes time and a bit of patience.. if you've got both then you're on to a sure winner... :D

Where did I ever say they should be eliminated Amy, I just said that in my opinion they should not be kept as pets, dont twist my words love.

Oh sorry jac, I just though as the two rotties that killed the baby were guard dogs and you were saying they shouldn't be kept as pets....then there was no middle ground, do you know what I mean?

In no way did I mean to twist your words, but maybe we should just agree to disagree on this one hey? :wink2:

Oh sorry jac, I just though as the two rotties that killed the baby were guard dogs and you were saying they shouldn't be kept as pets....then there was no middle ground, do you know what I mean?

In no way did I mean to twist your words, but maybe we should just agree to disagree on this one hey? :wink2:
Umm no actually Amy I cant do that, as I was not joking around on this one, let me repeat
"I dont think they should be kept as house pets"
but also I never said destroy all rottweilers.

It's one of those subjects that will go on being debated for a long old time...

Maybe we should leave it as it is and with our own opinions...

Sometimes some subjects can NEVER be resolved, no matter how many people talk and offer their opinions and no matter how many times we attempt to put our points across...

Life is life... some things are inevitable... a bit like death... it's inevitable and we never know when it's going to strike us down, whether it be in the form of a bus, a large dog or an intercity train... heck... as long as we're wearing clean knickers (as our mothers taught us) we'll be ok at the funeral parlour :wink2:

Right read all the posts and ok we dont agree with each other on this one :rolleyes:
I own a rottie and some of what I have read is total c**p if you dont own one then you cant comment on what they are like you only see and read the rubbish the media churn out. To anyone who doesn't like dogs, cats, animals So what its your loss.

Umm no actually Amy I cant do that, as I was not joking around on this one, let me repeat
"I dont think they should be kept as house pets"
but also I never said destroy all rottweilers.

I take this sort of matter very seriously also, but seeing as you're not going to be changing your mind and I'm not going to be changing mine, then I didn't think there was much point in us arguing needlessly :green:

Fair enough though jac if that's how you see it!

okay so what some of you are saying i bought the dog to look good when taking him for a walk and i bought him up to bite children, err no i dont think so, i dont have to have have a big strong dog to look good.
firstly i think this post has been debated now and im sick of hearing all this its te owners who dont control him properly, i bought him for £500 because he was cute and i never thought oh no must not get a rottweiller i bought him as a pet and i bought him up as a pet, i did not let him get on my furniture he always walked behind me, he knew his place and obeyed. i know some of you have very strong views about this and i did not mean it to get anyone's back eup least of all mine i mean i generated the post from my entry in my journal, oh well my first controversial thread and probably my last!

okay so what some of you are saying i bought the dog to look good when taking him for a walk and i bought him up to bite children, err no i dont think so, i dont have to have have a big strong dog to look good.
firstly i think this post has been debated now and im sick of hearing all this its te owners who dont control him properly, i bought him for £500 because he was cute and i never thought oh no must not get a rottweiller i bought him as a pet and i bought him up as a pet, i did not let him get on my furniture he always walked behind me, he knew his place and obeyed. i know some of you have very strong views about this and i did not mean it to get anyone's back eup least of all mine i mean i generated the post from my entry in my journal, oh well my first controversial thread and probably my last!
Dont be daft its your opinion and your entitled to it, as we all are. Nothing wrong in a a good healthy debate. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed, I have found the opinions of everyone interesting, even though I may not agree with them or them with me.

Dont be daft its your opinion and your entitled to it, as we all are. Nothing wrong in a a good healthy debate. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed, I have found the opinions of everyone interesting, even though I may not agree with them or them with me.

its just this is still raw at the moment jac, i found it interesting too but i also took some offence to it as i have been through it, thany you jac x
:hug:

jules x

I can see temperatures soaring here and for good reasons. Jac I have read many posts by you over the years and your passion on this subject is very obvious. I am not sure if there is a story to tell that you don't want to share, but I can feel your 'passion' through my computer screen. Amy, you equally dealt with your thoughts well and and as owners of the said breeds or not... everyone has an opinion.

I myself am scared of these types of dogs but I have never been face to face with a 'pet' of that breed. I also think dogs sense your fear which puts them on edge too.

All of these posts do show one thing. That animals generally 'bite' when provoked and I have seen this happen with my mums Llasa (a real grumpy old man of a dog now)... but if the kids go near the back of him, where his tail hair is long... he growls. I tell the boys 'look he is warning you off right now.. leave him alone. If you don't he may bite you so LEAVE HIM BE'... if they don't and he bites... they have been warned. He snapped at Dexter once and Dexter knows better now,,, in fact he ignores Chewy pretty much most of the time.

What happened here is horrendous and there is not one of us who is a mum (or not) that can't imagine the pain and physical sickness these people are going through.

Wonderful pets or not; media hype or not... we must be careful around all dogs and must be very mindful of our kids when near any dog... even the ones we love! :!:

thank you mrs geek !!

julesx

ooooh lots of healthy debate going on here !!!
well i own a rottie max
he is 12 months old ,he is a little sweetie and i love him ...i have always wanted a rottie since i was about 12 mabey
so i finally got one when my kids were older and i knew i could give a dog the attention he needed (training wise/exersize blah blah blah)
although admittedly his dad does most of the walkies !
here are some piccies for anyone who does want to see him ,if you dont want to see him ..dont look lol :green:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/smallmax.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/IM000599.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/Picture071.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums...ill have to update tomoz ...night girlz :hug:

Right read all the posts and ok we dont agree with each other on this one :rolleyes:
I own a rottie and some of what I have read is total c**p if you dont own one then you cant comment on what they are like you only see and read the rubbish the media churn out. To anyone who doesn't like dogs, cats, animals So what its your loss.

I couldn't agree more !!

We have always had cats and dogs in our house since I was born and we have NEVER had any problems. The dogs we had ranged from very small ones, up to a Great Dane.

I remember years and years ago when I was about 12 /13yrs old, one of our neighbours had a RW. Every afternoon when I walked back from school, there would be a group of boys who teased this dog no end. The dog would go mad (understandably) and the boys would carry on.

I told them once that you want to be careful with what you are doing as if he ever gets out, I don't want to be in your shoes. I also told our neighbour that I see these boys teasing the dog every day.

Lo and behold, they pushed this dog to far one day and it managed to jump over the wall (it was about 5ft high) it pinned the boy (about 15 / 16) down and bit him in the back (not badly by the way), but all he did was stand on the boys back and growl at him. I have never seen a boy cry so much in my life, and to be perfectly honest, I enjoyed every minute of it because he deserved it.

I called the neighbour who was there within 15 min and all that time, the dog stayed on the boys back and every time he wanted to move, the dog would just crowl.

When the owner turned up, he simply called the dog and the dog came running to him with his tail wagging and I swear you could see him smile. He never hurt the boy, just gave him a DAMN GOOD WARNING.

The boys parents wanted to have the dog put down, but loads of people have seen that this boy and his friends teased the dog every day and his parents lost the case.

I also firmly believe that dogs are the way the owners train them, and how the owners make the dog fit into the "pack". As previously mentioned, in the wild there is a very definate pecking order and the pack know what is expected of them. The same applies with a pet dog.

There are loads of Dog Psychology books that you can read on the matter, but 9 times out of 10, I believe it's the owners fault or that there are external factors that trigger dogs, like being teased for instance or being bothered when they don't want to be. The same applies to cats, it you annoy a cat, they will swipe at you.

You shouldn't always take what you her on TV as Gospel. Try to think for yourself and evalulate the facts.

How many programs have been on TV saying how bad nail enhancements are for you and what is the reaction on this web site normally ? You all go mad trying to defend the industry and rightly so. The same applies to everything else on TV.

I'm not a "dog expert", I can only talk from experience and having owned loads of different types myself.

Marlise

We had a lovely dog 'peppy' and when we were really young we tormented the life out of him, agitated him when he was eating and occasionally he would snap our hands and he once caught my face, but that never stopped me tormenting him...what was the dog meant to do? completely my own fault.

My dog is the most placid around kids, but one day my son sunk his teeth into her ear, she yelped and almost bit him.
I told him that if she ever bit him we would have to take her to get put to sleep, he was horrified and broke his heart. They are the best of friends and he would be lost without her.

I think there should be a class where we can learn all about the psycology(cant spell it) of our dogs, we send out so many mixed signals to them...it must be so confusing for them to live in our lives.

I told him that if she ever bit him we would have to take her to get put to sleep

Hi Pazzy,

Just a question, but if it is your sons fault that the dog bit him, for instance, like when he bit the dog. Why would you have to put the do to sleep ?? :irked:

The dog was only defending himself and doing what is done naturally in the wild.

If someone came and bit your ear, would you just take it or would you retaliate as well ? Perhaps the next time someone does something nasty to you and you retaliate, we should consider having you put down ....

I'm really not being nasty here, but comments like that really get my back up.

The dog was only defending himself, like we as humans do every day. You don't see people with great big needles walking around putting us to sleep.

Marlise

Oh for God's sake, of course they are not to be trusted, why else would they be guard dogs, along with dobermans, ridgebacks, german shepherds pit bulls and staffies, why would you want a dog like that as a pet!!

Sorry but I truly do not understand the mentality of anyone that would choose one of these dogs as a family pet knowing the type of reputation they have.

No I am not a dog hater I had dogs as a kid and have a rescue dog now, he is fantastic and brilliant with kids, but I wouldn't leave him alone with a small child, after all he is dog and how the hell do I know whats going on in his brain.

Walk down any street and see some guy who thinks he is a hard man walking a dog, will it be a poodle? I don't think so, its more likely to be one of the breeds mentioned above, I watched a guy punching his staffi a while ago, it made me wonder what that dog would be feeling like inside and when he would decide he had had enough and defend himself.

I know some of you wont agree with me, but tough thats my opinion I am entitled to have it.

I agree 100% with this.

ooooh lots of healthy debate going on here !!!
well i own a rottie max
he is 12 months old ,he is a little sweetie and i love him ...i have always wanted a rottie since i was about 12 mabey
so i finally got one when my kids were older and i knew i could give a dog the attention he needed (training wise/exersize blah blah blah)
although admittedly his dad does most of the walkies !
here are some piccies for anyone who does want to see him ,if you dont want to see him ..dont look lol :green:
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/smallmax.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/IM000599.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/emmsybabes/Picture071.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums...?i=54&catid=searchresults&searchid=2902[/IMG]

As you all know I am a lover of dogs one of which is my ears.

We also have a Cocker Spanial Bailey his story is we rescued him from the RSPCA 3 years ago ......... instantly he loved Tony to death but!!!!!!!!!!!! He was very possessive over things which he nicked, he bite Tony a couple of times and looking into his background found he was not at fault, he was bought as a puppy and was treated like a baby until the age of 9 when the first human baby arrived and Bailey was pushed into the background, so what he thought where his toys where the kids which he was not allowed to touch so in came the possessive streak and he began to snap at the kids which I don’t think was his fault the love from his owners had transferred to the kids since having Bailey we now know how to handle him we trade with him he gives us something back he gets a treat works brilliant he is a great dog now.

Also I think a lot of dogs backgrounds are to blame with interbreeding ect which is just a money spinner for the breeders.

My hearing dog is fully trained but if you’re a rabbit watch it........... That is something hearings dogs worked so hard on but couldn’t get him out of chasing them and his parents where gun dogs so it comes from his parents.

I also had a black lab years ago he would go for people wearing hats and with walking sticks he was abused by his previous owners and my guess is that he was hit with a stick by a man in a hat apart from that he was a great dog so again not his fault but the human.

I have had an experience with a Rottie a friend had one and it came to me and jumped up it was so big it pushed me over on to the ground and licked me to death lol.

So what I am trying to say in a lot of cases its not the dogs at fault but the human not having enough experience to handle them.

My mums parents used to own a pub in London they had geese in the yard to guard the pub worked a treat lol

Dawnie x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back