Safe Practices For Waxing

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Guild

Reaction score
As there has been some debate over the best practices for carrying out a wax treatment, we thought we would offer some general advice about hygiene and cross infection when waxing.

Obviously, it is always best to check what your insurance company's policy is, and some may differ.

When considering cross-infection, it is important to remember that the therapist's personal hygiene plays a vital role. A waxing system only has the potential to 'eliminate' the risk of cross-infection if the therapist also:

• Maintains high standards of hygiene in the working area and ensures that the trolley and wax pots are regularly cleaned. Keep the wax pot clean and covered between clients. Never use the same gloves that you have worn to clean the wax pot or trolley surfaces to carry out the wax treatment.
  • Follows the manufacturer's specific guidelines.
  • Washes their hands before putting on protective gloves to carry out a treatment. A new pair of protective gloves must be worn for each new client.
  • Applies pre wax or after-wax lotion using a clean cotton-wool pad.
  • Ensures that other items used, e.g. tweezers, have been correctly sterilised between treatments.
  • Ensures that a new disposable spatula or a roller/tube applicator head is used for each client. When waxing underarms and bikini lines, dispose of the spatula after treating the right side and replace with a new one to treat the left side of the body. Never go on to use the same spatula on another part of the body when you have applied wax to the underarms or bikini line. Never go over an area with your spatula that has been in contact with blood, and certainly never dip a blood-contaminated spatula back into the wax pot.
  • Never waxes over contra-indications that could lead to cross-infection
  • Ensures that any waste produced during the course of a wax treatment must be treated as "contaminated" and incinerated. It must not be mixed with normal salon waste. If in doubt, contact your local environmental health officer at your local council.
  • Ensures the wax application technique is up to scratch, as a poor technique can result in difficulty when removing the wax, which can cause bruising and abrasion of the skin. Never wax over the same area twice. Any remaining hairs must be removed using tweezers. Takes particualr care when treating delicate areas.
  • Assess the client's skin and muscle tone prior to waxing areas such as eyebrows and face, bikini lines, underarms, upper arms, abdomen and inner thighs. These areas can be particualrly vulnerable if they are not carefully treated as they can bruise and graze easily. These areas require extra support and stretching during treatment. Thighs, stomach, arms and legs are prone to stretch marks, making the skin thinner and more fragile. Extra special care is needed when waxing eyebrows if the client has crepey or very lined eyes. If in doubt, use tweezers instead. When waxing the top lip a good tip is to put a smear of Vaseline on the lips with a cotton bud. This will protect the delicate skin of the lips from the wax.
Hope this helps.

I think most of us abide by most of these things,didnt know used wax strips etc were classed as contaminated waste and had to be dealt with in that way.What about sanitary items that you dont flush down the loo and nappies they are much worse.

I think most of us abide by most of these things,didnt know used wax strips etc were classed as contaminated waste and had to be dealt with in that way.What about sanitary items that you dont flush down the loo and nappies they are much worse.

That is a very good point Gill and the answer to that would be very interesting.

That is a very good point Gill and the answer to that would be very interesting.

I think it depends on how anal your own local authority is. When i did my waxing training we were told that VCTC insist we use two bins to pass the unit, but my trainer's local council said that if there was less blood then a nose bleed then they were okay with it going in the general waste. common sense does prevail sometimes!

If you are running a high street salon, then you should use the services of a hygiene company to dispose of things like wax strips as well as sanitary items.

These need to be properly dealt with and disposed of at all times.

As for wearing gloves this is not how I was trained and my insurance does not state that I need to,other than areas where blood spotting occurs.

I have to agree with you Gill,however I was trained that we needed to have 2 bins,one contaminated waste that needed to be disposed of correctly.Supposed to be in yellow bin bag.

From the guidelines that you have posted, it would appear that double dipping is OK to do.

I.e. if I am doing a half leg wax, then I can use the same spatula over and over again until I have completed the leg wax. Then obviously dispose of the spatula.

However, if there were to be any blood spotting, I then need to dispose of the spatula without re-dipping and start with a new one etc.

Have I understood this correctly ?

Marlise

From the guidelines that you have posted, it would appear that double dipping is OK to do.

I.e. if I am doing a half leg wax, then I can use the same spatula over and over again until I have completed the leg wax. Then obviously dispose of the spatula.

However, if there were to be any blood spotting, I then need to dispose of the spatula without re-dipping and start with a new one etc.

Have I understood this correctly ?

Marlise
Marlise the only person you should be checking this with is your own insurance company.They are all different.I have just phoned my own insurance company and they have not got the same guidelines as the Guild,HTH

Marlise the only person you should be checking this with is your own insurance company.They are all different.I have just phoned my own insurance company and they have not got the same guidelines as the Guild,HTH

I realise this, but given the other thread about waxing practices, I thought this was in reponse to that thread, where double dipping was argued against.

Just wanted to see what the Guild thought of it.

Marlise

If you are running a high street salon, then you should use the services of a hygiene company to dispose of things like wax strips as well as sanitary items.

These need to be properly dealt with and disposed of at all times.

this is interesting, i just might have to print this to show my boss, as all there waste products go in the same black sack (at the end of the day) as the teabags etc

great article! thank you for sharing this :)

Latest posts

Back