Salons lacking client consultations and aftercare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Feevis

Reaction score
This might seem stupid thing to ask but recently it has came to my attention that there isn't a single salon in my area that carries out a client consultation/aftercare (for nails anyway haven't researched other treatments) and im wondering why??

There honestly isn't a single salon from a large handful, neither mobile nail technicians or nail technicians working from home carry out consultation or after-care.

I am just starting off my career working from home and ive spent a lot of time making a suitable client record card and an after-care leaflet for my clients.

So far I have had people asking me why I need to do a consultation and that they have never had after-care, taking this as a pinch of salt I did some research myself and even went to a reputable salon for nails myself and there was none of the above. Don't get me wrong I had no problems and the lady was lovely and produced beautiful nails but is there something I am missing? She did inspect my hands though so I gather she was looking for contra indications. I have also had nail treatments from various places previously before deciding to learn it for myself and looking back I have never once has any of the above, but being a client then I didn't know I had to have it.

My friend had her nails done elsewhere and pulled her acrylics off and the result was paper thin, damaged nails. I told her that she should never pull acrylic nails off and said she should either soak them off with pure acetone or return to the nail tech to book a maintenance appointment. She said she had not been told how to remove her nails, I can understand that a nail tech would prefer the client to return for a proper removal service but not all clients will so is it not our duty to make sure clients don't cause damage to their natural nails?

does everyone fill in a consultation before every treatment on clients then follow with after-care or is there some sort of limitations whereby if you have been in the industry "x" amount of years you don't need it? I sound stupid asking this question but where better to ask than Salon Geek and surely if it was so important then why are all these salons able to do treatments without them?

Bringing this message back up!

I would like to know everyone's response to this as well?

I carry out CCF, but I know of places that do not.

Personally I would never carry out a treatment if my client hasn't filled out a consultation form. Just looking at the clients nails for example would not tell the therapist that the client is on a form of medication, or that they have diabetes or are undergoing treatment for cancer.

It is not safe to carry out a treatment without a consultation form being filled out and signed. You may not be covered by insurance if you don't do a consultation!

Please continue with your forms and show your clients that this is what all therapists/technicians should be doing!

Rhiannon x

Yep - no form - no nails.:biggrin:

Keep on with doing the right thing and you won't go far wrong! :wink2:

Gosh I like that - Geeg would be proud of that one! :lol:

Personally, if a professional isn't requiring a CCF filled out by the client, they truely do not care for their client the way they should. That goes for nail technicians, beauticians, estheticians, and doctors.

Of course, you should always be careful when doing a manicure or pedicure, but you're going to have to take major precautions on a diabetic client. Also, you will want to inform your client that a massage could increase already high blood pressure. None of which you would know unless you have asked the client and have a record of it.

I had my nails done for years before becoming a professional. I went through my entire training with my mouth gaping open at the total lack of professionalism that I thought I was getting.

You're doing the right thing, girl. Continue to show that you care about your cilents health, along with their nails. :)

Yes, I like that!

Look, I can hand on heart say that I have never not filled out a CC at every single client visit (including even a repair only visit) nor have I ever failed to give aftercare advise in the form of a leaflet. To be honest I have done this as much as a record for myself regarding each client as for them. The on going client treatment record has been invaluable to me on countless occasions in various ways.

For one ia record card shows me a pattern over time of how the client copes with their nails; it tells me what they have purchased in the way of homecare. Even when a client wants reminding of which polish colour they wore for their son's wedding a year ago; I can tell them instantly. So CC's are a valualble and practical salon tool.

The more serious import is, that it is a legal responsibility to have a record of client care that could be an absolute necessity in the case of a dispute.

The fact that others may choose not to do a consultation or to keep client records, is of no importance to me whatsoever. I think they are stupid, and I think they are irresponsible and I think they are negligent and unprofessional, but what they do does not concern me personally.

I will continue to do the correct thing and the right thing and the responsible thing as I know I should do.

It makes no difference how many years or how much experience a therapiist has .. that does not give anyone an infallible memory or the right to neglect that which is their legal responsibility.

For one ia record card shows me a pattern over time of how the client copes with their nails; it tells me what they have purchased in the way of homecare. Even when a client wants reminding of which polish colour they wore for their son's wedding a year ago; I can tell them instantly.

Totally agree. I have had clients ask me what color they used and when. I will write down their favorite colors, whether they lean more towards reds, pinks, neutrals, etc. I write down tip sizes for acrylics, so that their next visit, I have their tips laid out before they get there. It saves time!

Also, I write personal information on their form that they have told me. Such as, their daughter was in the hospital, or having problems at work, the list goes on and on. Next visit, I can ask how her daughter is doing. It just shows that I actually DO care about each client and what's going on in their lives. I'm not just there to do their nails, get their money, and send them on their way.

I might get shot here.... lol but I dont fil out cards but do ask all the relevent questions, and always give pre & after care with my clients I do have a great memory and also do not have a huge client base :( but I think If I did then cards it would be. I'm quite shocked at the lack of pre/after care from other places, and one client thought it was weird I was asking about medical conditions and medication as had never been asked in 20 years of going to salons :eek: Think the biggest thing has been the spray tanning pre/after care & consultation, none of my clients seems to have been told about what products to use, and what not too and I always do a patch test if they have not been tanned before xx

I might get shot here.... lol but I dont fil out cards but do ask all the relevent questions, and always give pre & after care with my clients I do have a great memory and also do not have a huge client base :( but I think If I did then cards it would be. I'm quite shocked at the lack of pre/after care from other places, and one client thought it was weird I was asking about medical conditions and medication as had never been asked in 20 years of going to salons :eek: Think the biggest thing has been the spray tanning pre/after care & consultation, none of my clients seems to have been told about what products to use, and what not too and I always do a patch test if they have not been tanned before xx

You can't rely on the fact that if you tell someone something, that they will remember it! .. it is also your word against theirs in a dispute if they say you never explained aftercare etc. If you hand it to them on hard copy, at least you have a record of doing it, on your client record card.

I suppose the question is ... now that you know you should do it, will you be doing it from now on?

We are here to learn are we not? I wouldn't 'shoot you' for not doing something if you don't know your responsibility but I would think a lot less of a person if knowing (as you do now) the right course of action and you then refused to follow it. It's not lke it is difficult is it?

Not only the excellent points made already but I also use the info to send email reminders via my software and to promote to them via email marketing/text.

If you dont have that info you have lost the chance to communicate with your customers!:lol:

Yep - no form - no nails.:biggrin:

Keep on with doing the right thing and you won't go far wrong! :wink2:

Gosh I like that - Geeg would be proud of that one! :lol:

Yep me too! :lol:No Form .. No treatment ! I have the same problem in my area. :eek:

I was beginning to wonder I cant believe the amount of places with no procedures in place, why go to the length of missing a consultation when you can produce gorgeous long lasting nails, its like making an assumption there will be no contra actions or no problems afterwards and this is by no means true.

Aftercare is vital in lengthening the life of the enhancement . Im also shocked at the amount of people who say acrylics wreck the nails... The acrylic does not ruin nails if they are cared for properly and removed correctly afterwards.

My aftercare leaflets have step by step care notes and step by step removal and its importance, ok so I lose money on removals as im telling clients how to do it, but id rather that than have A client tear them off and tell people im too blame.

I think that the nail industry needs taken more seriously in society and need stricter rules and regulations. Its like going to a doctors to be given medication containing ingredients your allergic too but theres no note of it because you dont have a medical record or past medical history lol it wouldn't happen

I have never offered instructions for removal of enhancements ... THAT is a professional only job in my opinion.

I actually think it is irresponsible to give clients removal instructions for L&P. They never do it correctly and can cause just as much damage through impatience and really no knowledge of what they are doing. Not a good idea.

I would be lost without them, i always get asked "what colour did **** have on, i saw her nails the other day and i'd like that colour, plus you need them if you've repaired a nail etc, so that you know next time round

I would be lost without them, i always get asked "what colour did **** have on, i saw her nails the other day and i'd like that colour, plus you need them if you've repaired a nail etc, so that you know next time round
Is that something that we're allowed to disclose? I do tell people but didn't know if that came under 'client confidentiality'? :)

I think if it's just nail colour then its fine, they all do it and i tell them this one is popular since you put it on.

I think if it's just nail colour then its fine, they all do it and i tell them this one is popular since you put it on.
That's fine, like I say, I do it all the time but didn't know if I was wrong for doing so!! Glad to know I'm not alone :lol:

frustratingly, on the flip side, as someone who is looking for work in a salon, I have been to trade tests where people look at me as if i've grown two heads when I ask if they would like me to demonstrate a consultation form/aftercare.

I guess because the salon has supplied a model they know that the person is not contraindicated but all the same, i get the impression that a lot of people want to skip this part of a treatment because they don't see it as a money maker maybe (ridiculous but i think there might be something in it).

the more jobs i apply for, the more i wish i had it in me to make a profitable go of being self employed :(

I have never offered instructions for removal of enhancements ... THAT is a professional only job in my opinion.

I actually think it is irresponsible to give clients removal instructions for L&P. They never do it correctly and can cause just as much damage through impatience and really no knowledge of what they are doing. Not a good idea.

Completely agree. And how many people have pure acetone or could find some easily apart from that nasty bottle of household cleaner?

I have it written on my aftercare cards to return to me for safe removal.

Latest posts

Back