Same bad wax problem with one client for years. Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lisa1983

Reaction score
Hi fellow Geeks

Im hoping some one can help me here.

I have been waxing my brothers back and chest for the last 8 years (since he was 15) and we only do it once or twice a year pre holiday.

We are half Greek and half Italian so my bro has always had very thick course strong hair.
He has found the hair embrassing as he stood out from his mates on holiday.

The first time i waxed him i used warm strip wax.
I checked the temperature, my technique e.t.c and although it was painful for him it was a normal wax reaction.

However the next morning i was horrified to discover that my bros back and chest had some mad reaction resulting in the whole waxed area being covered in papules, pimples and some angry looking welts.

I thought that either my technique was way out or that strip wax was not for him. I also now that after each wax he followed the correct after care ( No hot baths, swimming, creams e.t.c) as we lived together untill 3 years ago.

I followed this up with weekly back cleanses but it still took months for the reaction to totally go.

I suggested to my bro that we wax again with hot hard wax once hair grows back. We did this and still the same result.

I have tried all sorts of pre and post care for him ( he was happy to experiment to find a solution) including ( Now this is random) Clippering the hair and bleaching the back and chest a week before waxing ( an asian therapist suggested this to me as the bleach would weaken hair and toughen skin). Still same bad reaction.

Over the last 7 years i have tried it all:
Back cleanses 1 week before waxing.
Exfoliation day before waxing
Different wax techiniques
Cammomile, lavender, honey and tea tree waxes
Aloe vera gel for healing
Different hot waxes.

You name it ive tried it and still the same bad reaction.

I found out that my bro secretly used (a well known) hair dissolving cream which (was probably used incorrectly) burnt his nipple and the hair grew back as though it was shaved a couiple of days later.

My brother has said that he would prefer the shaved effect then the spots.
However as a beauty therapist i would like to find the solution.

I should point out that i have waxed many men over my time and have NEVER had this reaction before.

Perhaps it is my Brothers skin/hair combination.

Either way would any of you geeks out there please let me know if you have had a similar experience , or any suggestion on what i can try whether it be waxes or techniques e.t.c

I will thank you all in advance.

Have you tried pressing a cold towl over the area after waxing. This somethin i learnt at a recent training course. Also good to do on lip area for clients who get little white bumps. I think it something to do with stimulation. maybe another geek can explain better why it works. Having a brain freeze moment lol

xx

Thanks buttons

Ill give that a try.

Were gonna just do test patches and try different things now so will try the cold compress.

Many thanks

Hi hun!
Do you wear gloves when you are doing this? If not then this can cause germs to enter the skin.Also if he is touching the area after this can result in pustules. He may get spots after if he is not exfoliating the area properly inbetween treatments. It is also important to moisturise. Advise him to use tea tree oil as this has a very soothing affect on the skin.
Usually papules after waxing are caused by lack of hygiene.(not that im saying he doesnt wash!!) So have a look at what he is doing afterwards as i know some men will not listen to us , ladies normally follow the rules a lot better.xxx

Hi there, I think that as you seem to have tried most things and it has lasted such a long time that he would be better having a course of laser treatment.

The dense hair growth does not help if he is prone to folliculitis. The only other thing I can think of is what type of products does he usually wash the area with. Ph 5.5 gentle washes will help (perfumed male products will only aggravate the area) and the frequent change of cotton t shirts to wear. :lol:

OK!!! Your brothers reaction is completely normal! Because he is only getting waxed 2 times a year he will continue to have these agressive reactions. Faces, backs and chests are all normal reactive areas. Here is how you get through this:

1) instruct them before you wax that they will probably break out and it is normal
2) wax every 4 weeks like clockwork
3) use a pimple product (like Clear-It) on the area plus sell it to the client and have them use it morning and night until the reaction goes away (face, back and/or chest)
4) For body waxing sell them an After Wax Body Polish Kit that contains Pumice Gloves and a Bath Gel and instruct them to never use bar soap again, they are only allowed to use this. AND

5) wax every 4 weeks like clockwork! It helps the skin aclimate to the service.

Hi there, I think that as you seem to have tried most things and it has lasted such a long time that he would be better having a course of laser treatment.

The dense hair growth does not help if he is prone to folliculitis. The only other thing I can think of is what type of products does he usually wash the area with. Ph 5.5 gentle washes will help (perfumed male products will only aggravate the area) and the frequent change of cotton t shirts to wear. :lol:

Hi thanks for rep,

I think laser is the only thing thats gonna work.

I think we might follow wax queens advice and try it out for another year as his not on holiday till next year, and if the problem persists then its gonna have to be laser.

xxx

OK!!! Your brothers reaction is completely normal! Because he is only getting waxed 2 times a year he will continue to have these agressive reactions. Faces, backs and chests are all normal reactive areas. Here is how you get through this:

1) instruct them before you wax that they will probably break out and it is normal
2) wax every 4 weeks like clockwork
3) use a pimple product (like Clear-It) on the area plus sell it to the client and have them use it morning and night until the reaction goes away (face, back and/or chest)
4) For body waxing sell them an After Wax Body Polish Kit that contains Pumice Gloves and a Bath Gel and instruct them to never use bar soap again, they are only allowed to use this. AND

5) wax every 4 weeks like clockwork! It helps the skin aclimate to the service.

Thank you so much for responding.

We are going to take your advice and do the waxing every 4 - 6 weeks .

Also will take your advice on the after care.

Glad im not going mad here.

Kind regards
xxx

Thank you so much for responding.

We are going to take your advice and do the waxing every 4 - 6 weeks .

Also will take your advice on the after care.

Glad im not going mad here.

Kind regards
xxx

Every 4 weeks, not 6. It does make a difference.

ive had a lady whos eyebrows i wax today.
when we first started doing them she had a really strong reaction, all red and glowing with white bumps. this would go down after about 12 hours.
she kept going having them waxed once a month when i do her nails and now she barely has any redness at all, you would hardly notice it if you didnt know shed just been waxed. i dont use a different product or technique, so i guess she just became used to it in the end.

4) For body waxing sell them an After Wax Body Polish Kit that contains Pumice Gloves and a Bath Gel.quote]

oooooooh, where do we get these little kits? they sound agreat retail product!

Hi,

The only real solution is laser hair removal. I have been doing the treatments for almost 5 years and think its amazing. With the right laser and qaulified person doing the treatments the results are excellent.

I have a clinic in central London. We offer a free test patch with the free consultation. The results show in the test patch. If interested contact me direct. Our website is www.bodyblissclinic.com

Maria

Latest posts

Back