Scared to talk on Salon Geek

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love this site !

I must do I've been here long enough!!
I have laughed and cried over different things on here, but most of all I have had amazing support from so many people on here, and most of them dont even know how much they have helped me through recent difficult times.

SG is a community with all that entails, we help out, fall out, make up and move on....and hopefully learn a lot along the way.

This thread may even be an example of that. ;)

I love this site too! Have to ditto what you have said, laughed and cried too!

I consider myself to be a newbie to this site, I sat and researched on this site for ages and got so much advice. I now have 3 books full of geek info which helped me in my quest to start my business. If it wasn't for SG I don't think I would have taken the plunge!
I have had 2 knock back comments on here, did I get upset? No, I ignored it, sucked up the help, and used the info I got to set up my business.
There are some amazing people on here, and I am in awe of quite a few! It took me a while to comment on here too, as I didn't think I was experienced enough, but we all have something to give in our own way.
It's like family to me, and I am so grateful to each and every person that has contributed. Xx

My first post got grief because I used text speak. I hadnt realised that I would offend certain people for not typing appropriately. I have therefore learned to speak in a much more longwinded and dragging on way. ;) There also have been some really lovely geeks who have helped me and they are little treasures! X

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hey hon,

It's not about offending anyone as such, or trying to make everything as awkward and long-winded as possible. Because we're a world-wide site here, we have plenty of members for whom English is not the first language. Reading text speak can be difficult enough at times, without trying to first decipher what the word is supposed to be and then translating it.

Also, we are a professional forum here, and it was previously a public perception that beauty therapists and nail technicians were a bit thick or ditzy - anything that we can do to elevate ourselves above that and prove it unfounded has to be a good thing, right?

As a general reply, it is notoriously difficult to read emotions, to get the true gist of what someone means without actually speaking with them first. This is why people can sometimes xome across as a bit harsh. They're not really being short, but you can't hear rhe tone in which they've written their post. I'm not denying that there may be some people who are out to cause offence, bit i do think that people need to remember what I've said above.

As a beauty therapy lecturer I have found this forum a god send with regards to my continual professional development ! Here are just a few of the things I have learnt about: Doug Schoon, finger nail fixer, links, ideas for nail art, daily inspiration in the "what nails are you sporting today" thread by all you amazing geeks; tips, FREE advice, solutions to problems and trouble shooting, the amazing company that is Sweet Squared and it has also given me the courage to master my enhancement skills and I am very excited about the 1:1 bespoke training in Brisa Lite Sculpting I am booked on in September! The lovely friendly geek who lives in Rome and gave me priceless advice about my move to Italy next year! This forum has not only massively benefited me but also my students !
And yes I too made faux pas when I first came on here and yes sometimes I felt intimidated, but I soon learnt the rules and regs of how to use the forum therefore Salon Geek and fellow geeks I salute you 😄 and let's face it you can lead a horse to water .....

I must say that sometimes I write a post then cancel it and don't bother for the fear of being told of or something, although I've not actually experienced a 'telling off' as to say, by anyone but it is sometimes scary to post something. I think the problem is the medium, texts, emails and technology seem to make things misconstrued and can be taken in different ways, maybe we just need to make the assumption that everything is said in a friendly way even if we don't think the post sounds like it.

I was more than happy to comply with what's required. I had been told about the site, and joined quickly I was and am thrilled at such a site to join. In haste I asked my question in text speak. That was where my point came from, it would have been lovely if a fabulous geek had kindly pointed out the error and rules with out the definate telling off tone I felt. I actually felt shaken to get such a reaction. It hasn't stopped me loving the geeks, the threads and the great advice.x

I too have had quite a few pm's following a recent thread as people didn't want to reply on it as they were having the same problems as me but didn't want as they said to feel attacked for having a different opinion

This is a lovely thread! It's good to confront and deal with 'issues'.

I dip in and out of here all the time and answer where I think I will be useful. However, it is such a shame when threads descend into personal attacks.

Personally, I don't take any notice. This site is no different from any other (look at the stuff that goes on on Mumsnet!!!). Plus there are some great, useful and informative pages on FB and they often get far too personal.

I think so many people get a bit brave on a forum as it can be so impersonal. How many people would say what they do face to face?? I make it a personal rule: if you can't say it to a persons face then don't say it at all!

Gigi and I have often talked about doing a 'seminar' where we will answer ANY question there is to be answered! One day we will do it! Even if it is personal :lick:

My main message here is 'lighten up'!!!

I think threads like this one are good because they do remind us all to stop and think ...
but as has been said if you're offended by a post or think it's too sharp report it....
and we can all be narky cows every now and again....it's allowed, we're all human.:hug:

I've only been here for 5 years so I'm a relative newbie. What I have noticed over the last couple of years is a proliferation of people who've done a couple of day/short courses in isolation and think that it means that they're qualified.
When they launch themselves onto SG with really basic questions, not once, twice, but many, many times it can be quite difficult to remain calm and diplomatic!
Maybe it's a sign of the economic times, who knows?

What it actually is is a kick in the teeth for those professionals who have spent time, effort and a not inconsiderable sum of money to become skilled and experienced.

This is supposed to be a forum for sharing. There is sometimes an imbalance in the give and take of idea and skills. It can wear a body down after a while...

Last edited:
:banghead:

I am a relative newbie here but regardless of my actual "nail" experience, I have worked in a very varied number of careers over the years. Through these careers I have learnt that there are such a wide range of personalities and attitudes. I have also learnt that it is reported that only 7% of communication comes from our actual words, as opposed to 93% body language, intonation, actions etc. it is very hard to get across our tone in text. We type it in one manner, but it can be read in another.

I may be a CND tech, but that is my personal choice. I chose to use the products and speak to those experienced with these products, but I will happily help anyone with any questions that I can, non product or product specific and know that I am not alone on SG.

This site is AMAZING!!! Use it in the manner which it was created, to ask for and offer advice if you feel you can. However, I realise that a great many contributors on here are very busy working and offer their time and experiences selflessly. When I first contemplated this career, I googled and came across this site and read the rules first. Therefore, I searched for answers for basic questions prior to starting a new topic.

This is a fantastic site, we just need to stop, take a breather, research, read without prejudice and then post. If we want to succeed (which we wouldn't be here if we didn't) then don't expect to be spoon fed. Put some time and effort in, and this site and all of the contributors on here, can greatly enrich your personal and business life. HONESTLY! x

Incase I am typing this in a different manner to which it is being read, all of this post is meant sincerely, generously, and without any vindictive/bitchy undertones. I merely want to ensure others gain from such an amazing source as I independently have.

Much love & respect xxxx

I will admit that sometimes I do think twice about replying or starting a thread because I immediately worry that someone will think 'but you teach nails, why don't you already know this?!', that is my own personal issue and nothing to do with the lovely geeks on here :)

By the same token I always think twice about my responses because it is so easy to write something and for it to be misconstrued, I would never go out of my way to offend anyone but it can be easily done when you can't see the person you're actually talking to and read their body language

For me it's just about being respectful and thinking about how I would feel if I were the person reading what it is I wrote. I personally believe that most here do that, yes some are a little more direct than others but I actually prefer that. I like people to be straight with me so I know where I stand with them but I know that not everyone is like that so I do try very hard to take this into account when I'm on here

I love this site, and I've not experienced any cattiness at all. If anything I've found pretty much everyone to be very welcoming and warm. Sure we all have our preferences when it comes to products and ill be the first to admit to being biased but hey that's because I'm passionate about it and I just see it as the same thing in others. It doesn't mean ill slate another brand because that's just unprofessional

I guess I'm just trying to say that I always try to treat others how I would like them to treat me :)

Sam

xoxo

I belong to a hairdresser site, and have for a long time. I NEVER feel stupid about asking ANY question. That sites motto is "There are no stupid questions, just the questions not asked." I do ask alot of questions, and I have never once felt "stupid" for asking a question. I know there are alot of talented people on this site, who give their time freely, and is greatly appreciated. I have to say, I asked a question the other day for ideas on different Shellac colors & the answer I got made me feel very stupid, and makes me feel afraid of asking another "stupid" question. There is so much information on this site & I do searches, and it can get overwhelming. That is my 2 cents-for what its worth.

I am a newbie and do more reading than posting but there is a recurring trend where newbies do not read or search for answers before posting, I can imagine how frustrating it would be to have to answer the same questions over and over and therefore totally understand how some of the posts may be interpreted as being mean or whatever, but if people read the sticky posts and read the rules of a forum, any forum, before posting, life would be so much happier :)

I have found the answers to every single question I have ever wanted to know so far just by searching or even using google with "salon geek" in my searches.

I bow down to my superiors lol thank you all for all your free advice ! :hug:
Im not a newbie & i STILL do more reading than posting. I too find my answers when searching . I dont like posting because of misunderstandings like had happened to me when i first joined, id rather stay in the shadows & lurk lol

We all have good knowledge from our own individual training & experience but i know for myself Im still learning more from my fellow 'Geeks'!

I agree with what other Geeks have said about recurring questions, I find the easiet thing to do is type my question or topic into Google and the magic word 'salongeek' 9 times out of 10 my question is already there in the forums :) if it isn't however that's when I reach out with a new post ;)

Love Salongeek and remain ever grateful all of the lovely geeks that have helped me and answered my questions in my quest to be the best that I can be, I am looking forward to being able to offer valuable advice back in return ;)

Caroline x

I've only been here for 5 years so I'm a relative newbie. What I have noticed over the last couple of years is a proliferation of people who've done a couple of day/short courses in isolation and think that it means that they're qualified.
When they launch themselves onto SG with really basic questions, not once, twice, but many, many times it can be quite difficult to remain calm and diplomatic!
Maybe it's a sign of the economic times, who knows?

What it actually is is a kick in the teeth for those professionals who have spent time, effort and a not inconsiderable sum of money to become skilled and experienced.

This is supposed to be a forum for sharing. There is sometimes an imbalance in the give and take of idea and skills. It can wear a body down after a while...
I agree with you Lynne, I have also noticed that you are one of the experienced members who takes time to answer on threads with grace, knowledge and kindness. I think that this site must be a invaluable source for many, I have found so much useful information and hope that I can provide helpful info to others in return. I try to make sure that my posts do not come across as rude and treat others with kindness and respect, there is frustration when you take the time to offer your knowledge or opinion and it is less than appreciated.

I agree with you Lynne, I have also noticed that you are one of the experienced members who takes time to answer on threads with grace, knowledge and kindness. I think that this site must be a invaluable source for many, I have found so much useful information and hope that I can provide helpful info to others in return. I try to make sure that my posts do not come across as rude and treat others with kindness and respect, there is frustration when you take the time to offer your knowledge or opinion and it is less than appreciated.

I always treat others with kindness and respect, and that is how I want to be treated! If I was asked a "hair" question thousands of times, I wouldnt feel "wore down", "frustrated", or whatever, because that question keeps getting asked. I would be happy to help someone, and it wouldnt matter to me how much experience they have and would NEVER want to make someone trying to learn feel stupid because they are asking a question. That question is important to them, or they wouldnt be asking it!

I would pray that not one geek does not appreciate all the amazing advice support and friendship that is among the site and I am sure that any concerns are aimed at a very small minority and I am also sure that most posts have stated that they love the site. We do bow to such achievement and don't want to take from that. But our personal experiences are still ours to share. I hope to enjoy many more threads and sincerely thanks anyone for their time and advice.:love

I don't come on here very often these days. It has changed quite a bit since I joined and there are people that are quite rude. I've learned a lot here though so I do still pop back every now and then.
I'm on a lot of different facebook groups too. Some just for salon owners, some for lash techs, some for nail techs etc. I find that I can get any answers I need from those instead now. Having said that, some of those groups can be very bitchy too. I was beginning to think that maybe it was just this industry but it is actually just a small minority that ruin in for others.
I still think SG is a great site though :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back