Scared to upset customers!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

classychick

Reaction score
Hi everyone looking for a bit of advice if you dont mind....i was mobile for a while then had a wee baby, things changed i have recently got my customers to come to the house, now i have to do treatments in my front room (i know!! Not ideal) but the thing is people want to come at 6 o'clock my partner just getting in from work and having his tea he is now moaning as he does! That he has to go upstairs with the wee man and could they not come at 7 wen he has went to bed(baby that is). It took me ages to get these customers they have been with me a while and dont want to upset them but they want me to work round there family forgeting i have one of my own. Long one i know shud i just tell them this is how it has to be in a nice way of course! Thanx in advance. X
Posted via Mobile Device

I would change my working hours to suit my family if I was doing treatments from home.
Just inform them that its affecting the baby's sleep regime and that from now on 6pm is no longer available.

Yes as above I would explain to your clients the situation. Most people will understand. Do you have a spare room you could work from?

i dont have another room so wish i did and i work 9 to 1 in an office so i cant even think about renting a room somewhere as i dont think it would work out financially with childcare, i am just scared they will say 7 doesnt suit as i know a few of them will say just that i think i need to get a backbone! xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Could you not have hubbys tea ready for him coming in from work and then you go to their house. That way hubby will have peace & quality time with baby, you will get a wee change of scenery, and clients will have their treatment times.

Could you not have hubbys tea ready for him coming in from work and then you go to their house. That way hubby will have peace & quality time with baby, you will get a wee change of scenery, and clients will have their treatment times.

That sounds like a good idea. Hubby would probably love the time with his baby and with you being with the baby most of the day you might enjoy getting away for a couple of hours.

a while back on this site some one had set up a room in their garden (it was a shed all done out like a room )could you not do something like that i know it will be an expence but worth it in the long run

Thanx everyone for your advice i dont want to sound as tho i am making exuses but i HATED being mobile was out nearly every night the garden thing sounds good but i have a shared garden with a few people shall i say who would take pleasure in it being there local...lol am sure i will work something out just need to be extra sweet to my other half! xx
Posted via Mobile Device

I know how you feel hun i dont have a spare room for treatments either so i work round my family like i wont do anyone between 5pm and 6.30 this is so we can all have dinner then hubby can sort my little guy out and i havent got to worry.

its hard trying to keep everyone happy aint it...think i really need set nites and times all over the place with it. I say baby but he 18 months when he is upstairs wants to know what am up to downstairs! xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Its tough i know hun but you wont upset them you just need to set your times xx

Keep up the good work :hug:

I think you should simply offer your clients 7pm. I have had this a lot, clients wanting to come at 6pm... I say, 'I'm afraid I can't do 6pm as I need to give my daughter her dinner, give her a bath etc. I can do 8pm? Or I can do Saturday?'

Fortunately most of my clients come during the day, but I try to remind myself every time a client asks for an appointment that is inconvenient, that 'we' i.e. my daughter and I, and trying to maintain some balance in our lives, are more important than the one client who is trying to manipulate me.

Is it nights u do shell or do you do treatments during day to, how late do you work? Sorry didnt know whether to pm you or not...just curious as am in same situation as you. xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Some of your clients sound kind of selfish. . maybe they would be more understanding if they knew what it was like having to accommodate people coming into their homes for treatments. Yes, you should definitely stick to set times, after all I wouldn't open my salon at 8am at the whim of the odd one client who thinks it might be more convenient for them. Don't let them walk over you, a moment being honest now will save you lots of stress and resentment in the future. Besides - wanting an hour free at 6pm is hardly being demanding is it?
If you really can't bear telling them you are not available 6pm, lie and say that you are fully booked with a longterm client who is having a regular treament at that time every week.

Thanx great advice you'se are right think i just wanted some reassurance that i was perfectly within my rights to make times suited to my family ....this is a great site with great people xx
Posted via Mobile Device

Of course, for a good while at least, you need to put your family first.I know what husbands can be like. They are tired when they come in and yes its easy to say well they should just put up with it but then it stresses them, that stresses you and then the babies stressed and everyones stressed and unhappy :).
Change everyone who will be changed and then maybe reach a compromise with your husband that there may be a few one offs or one day a week that you will have to do 6...that can be the day you get takeaway.

I had the same problem. When I started out my little one was young and my hubby was at home to sort her out (I have spare room) so not much of a problem. Then we split up and it was down to me to make sure she was fed and watered, bathed and in bed at a reasonable time so I had to say no to appointments after 5pm.

I lost one "client" from this, I put it in quotes because she was actually a nail tech herself. The txt went like this, "If you cant fit me in at 6.15 on Tues then I'll have to go somewhere else" and i replied "I'm sorry but my daughter comes first and if you cant come at 5pm then you will have to find someone else to do your nails"

Everyone else was lovely about my circumstances and have fitted in with the times I have.

I do one night a week with later appointments, so I can still fit in the ones that absolutely cant get here before 5pm any other night.

HTH

Rachel x

Who are you more worried about upsetting? Hubby or customers? Trying to find a balance between work and family when you are self employed is a nightmare, I know, but at the end of the day we have to remind ourselves why we are doing it at all. Yes it's because we enjoy our work and want happy customers but it's also to help provide for our families.

Good luck trying to find a solution. :hug:

Hi,
I totaly sympathise, because I too operate from my front room during the day.
My cut off point has to be 5pm, simply because I have 2 growing sons of 15 and 11 yrs, who would not be capable of maintaining the silence and peace that I demand of them for any longer! Also my hubby comes back from work shortly after, and then it is family time!
They don't stay kids forever and all these moments are being missed for a few pounds more - what price can you put on family life? I would rather buy buy value food than work those extra hours.
When they have left home I can run myself ragged if I so wish!:eek:
Mind you, this is after 4 and a half years. When I started my business I bent over backwards to accomodate the needs of my clients, and have eventually found that if they want and value your treatments they will meet you half way - most of the time!

if you don't want to actually have to say it you could send round a newsletter to all your clients...you could mention your new working hours, set them out clearly so that there is no confusion. don't know what services you offer but you could also have a featured treatment that you talk about a bit more indepth to encourage clients to book in for it. you could also have an offer voucher for them to use in the quieter months after christmas.....use it to your advantage!

hope you get it sorted, its awful when you feel like your stuck between a rock and a hard place xxx

Latest posts

Back