School book days/themes/dress up's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Balance Andover

Reaction score
How do you parents cope with the constant book days, dress up themes that the children have to now do at school?

I've got friends with kids and I swear everytime I speak/hear from or see them they are in a mad panic making or buying something.

I would probably very inappropriate if I had a son for book day, he'd go as Christian Grey, I can rustle up a suit and a pair of handcuffs, easy ;)

Junior school was a nightmare! My son wasn't very organised, he'd casually say at 7am.. It's victorian, edwardian or character book day today,.. That's nice, what will you be doing.....we've got to dress up snd to to school like it, what can I wear?.. aghhhhhh

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

I just send him in the most awkward outfit for the teacher haha. So book day consisted of him wearing a red top and blue jeans (Harry) and literally a bucket full of dinosaurs... I'm sure his teacher had a fabulous time trying to stop the kids playing with all the dinos ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Happyfeet you can now send him as Joseph, wrap up your little new tiny feet and off they go lol, sure he'd win a prize for originality haha

Those days are over for me. YEYYYY!
I remember my daughter had to dress up for a Halloween Party at school. I was looking for an outfit for her, but she came to her own decision in the end and went as, wait for it, Santa Clause with the most awful mask! :eek: I'm sure she terrified some of the younger kids, maybe for life!

They are now, fortunately, for me too now Tj, Yayyyyyy he's going up to yr 10 in September... Ohhhh I feel so old now

My kids love to dress up anyway so when buying outfits I try to ensure that they will be able to be worn on one of these last minute 'book days'.
I hate how little notice the schools think is ok, many outfits have been knocked up from old clothes & I've been sat sewing late into the night for them to wear it the next day.

Schools seem to think we are loaded & always have money to spare at the drop of a hat (or more like they just don't think about money at all). I have 4 children so these surprise 'fundraising/awareness' days usually cost me a bomb, I've been known to not send money in for 'non school uniform days' because I don't have it. A week or so later I'll add the money 'I owe' on to their school dinner money so I do pay it eventually but sometimes I begrudge paying it as it's not even compulsory to send under 11's in school uniform anyway & therefore they can wear non uniform any day they like without paying.

I think the worst thing the schools do is leave telling you what outfits you need for concerts etc.. til the very last minute when although you know you'll have to buy or make something but you have no idea how much that is going to cost or where you will be able to get hold of the correct outfit/materials (mine have been some easy enough ones: an angel, a shephard, a wise man, a star.... then more awkward ones: a comet, an owl, a spaceman).

You just learn to think out of the box and make things fit. The last book day I sent my daughter in as a cave girl as I couldn't get anything else to fit her (she was 10 years old & I had to buy a small adults costume & then take it in a little to fit as there was NO fancy dress for teenagers in my town & only 2 days to get the outfit sorted). I told her she was 'Bam Bam' from the flintstones as they are books. You will spend ages thinking to find a character from some obscure book to fit the fancy dress you can get lol.

Oh and KHS in my experience they still do the odd 'special day' in comprehensive school so it's not quite all over yet (nowhere near as often as infants or juniours but my boy still did these odd days here & there).

Happyfeet you can now send him as Joseph, wrap up your little new tiny feet and off they go lol, sure he'd win a prize for originality haha

That really made me laugh! I could also spray tan the dog, pin his ears up and bob's your uncle... we have a donkey!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I help at lunchtime on Friday's at an infants school, and the costumes on book day, some were amazing. Harry potters were popular because it's easy to do, and fairy/princess dresses for the girls as that covers numerous characters. Must be so much pressure for parents these days to come up with something.

Every time it's book day my two go as princesses it's easy .
But the other week my daughter had to go as a superhero I was on ebay buying a bat girl costume as we didn't have any superhero outfits .x

Josh has to dress up as a famous person from European history, his going in a doctors costume and Is going to be Alexander Fleming the person who invented the penicillin and antibiotic

Latest posts

Back