School Fair ..... nail art for kids.... Help!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samjackjord

Reaction score
I have been asked to do nail art for kids at school fair but I am really unsure what to do! Why did I agree, god only knows.
The extent of my nail art capabilities is sticking gems to clients tips as a booster.
Any help ideas would be great and thanks in advance.

Stickers, striper brushes, glitter varnishes. Just think back to what you liked as a little girl and then go from there.

Stickers, striper brushes, glitter varnishes. Just think back to what you liked as a little girl and then go from there.

perfect i did a fair last year i coat of polish a few neon pink and white flicks with acylic paint and a gem if they wanted and top coat then a spritz of quick dry.

2 warnings though
1. only take a few colours to choose from or they will be chooseing all day.
2. if you use gems be prepared to put them on a few times when they pick them off and come over saying "they fell off"

otherwise just have fun, stickers and decals are great too

Great advice.
Some ideas of my own below:

1 Another thing I suggest is bring colours that only one coat of colour is needed. Children don't sit well for colours to dry. Stay away from colours that are streaky with one coat and need a second.
I find metalics, glitters, shimmers and pearls work best.
Don't bring more than a dozen or you'll go mad LOL
2- Water based acrylic paint is fab too, for the art, instead of actual striper polishes because it dries faster.
3- A top-notch quick dry top coat too, to seal it all in.
4- Use the cheapest rhinestones you have on hand
5- I usually state up front and nice and loud that "NO TOUCHUPS" simply because you'll spend your day doing that, and others waiting for their turn might get annoyed at the delays by touch-ups. Hardly fair.
6- Use lamps or fans to "dry" their nails.
YES we know they DON'T make a bit of difference HOWEVER they help in making kids sit still because THEY think they work and that's what helps them to sit still. Extra chairs for those sitting to 'dry' is great.

If there is a tonne of kids (No idea how many will be there), I don't allow them to choose things too complicated and hold up the parade.
for example: if they want ladybugs, their thumbs will look like ladybugs and their fingers will just have random dots.

Stickers and dotters for 'dot-art' and stripers are the way to go. Makes things quick and easy. Keep 'details' to a minimum. Think 'cartoony' if you do any flowers or whatever: dotted flowers, puppy paw-prints, butterflies done with stripers, ladybugs, etc

hope this helps

Hey

I did one in May. This is what i did and what i learned....

* Made a display of 10 designs - and did these ONLY on the day
* Kept it simple - flicks, gems, dots
* The most popular on the day was 1 gem per nail
* Remember... you will be working on VERY small nail beds
* Acrylic paints set quicker, i have some nail art pens from nail supreme
* If its hot like it is now the polish can be tricky to work with so keep out the sun
* Charged £3 per set.... some parents were not even willing to pay that
* If you can get some help (someone to paint the base first) then please do, i lost alot of business because people wouldnt wait. It took about 15 mins on average per set - base, colour, design, top
* Give a business card to EVERYONE

HTH

Thanks to everyone for there brill ideas!
I wish I hadnt agreed, especially as I dont make any money. I'm a soft sod when it came down to it and its the kids school and they have my 4 tearaway boys so the least I can do lol
Fingers crossed, any ideas on where to get cheap nail varnish???? Or any nail art stickers in a hurry???

Thanks again

theres a few ideas in my gallery pics of kids nail designs, I found the tiger stripes went down really well :D

Thanks to everyone for there brill ideas!
I wish I hadnt agreed, especially as I dont make any money. I'm a soft sod when it came down to it and its the kids school and they have my 4 tearaway boys so the least I can do lol
Fingers crossed, any ideas on where to get cheap nail varnish???? Or any nail art stickers in a hurry???

Thanks again

Its a great thing you are doing. I charged £3 a set, was there 12-5 (it finished at 4!!!) and earned £56..... soft me gave half to the school and half to the adjoining nursery (which my son attends). So i accepted i made a loss with using my stock etc... but i felt good about it :)

Barry M is cheap and they do lots of funky colours - bright blue and hot pink were very popular when i did it. Not sure about stickers... maybe claires accessories in kiddy section?

My daughter has some polishes from Asda, I think they were £1 each....if you look on naildelights.com (Adell's site) she has lots of nails art stuff which is very well priced and she offers a trade discount. Her postage is very reasonable and delivery is super fast!

HTH Lou x

Its a great thing you are doing. I charged £3 a set, was there 12-5 (it finished at 4!!!) and earned £56..... soft me gave half to the school and half to the adjoining nursery (which my son attends). So i accepted i made a loss with using my stock etc... but i felt good about it :)

Barry M is cheap and they do lots of funky colours - bright blue and hot pink were very popular when i did it. Not sure about stickers... maybe claires accessories in kiddy section?

I am not the only soft touch mum out there then.

I never thought of claires! With 4 boys girlie shops are not really a place I get to go to lol

My daughter has some polishes from Asda, I think they were £1 each....if you look on naildelights.com (Adell's site) she has lots of nails art stuff which is very well priced and she offers a trade discount. Her postage is very reasonable and delivery is super fast!

HTH Lou x
Thanks for that going to head to the site now, failing all else asda and claires it will be :D

I've done a couple of these i just have a few designs and polishes, flicks, ladybirds, zebra stripes, tiger stripes, flowers and a few more cant think what of the top of my head.

Ive charged £3 a child as well though so your very good doing it for free

I've done a couple of these i just have a few designs and polishes, flicks, ladybirds, zebra stripes, tiger stripes, flowers and a few more cant think what of the top of my head.

Ive charged £3 a child as well though so your very good doing it for free

I'm not good just stupid and can't seem to say no!

I have found a tutorial to do flicks and I have an embossing tool which will do them.
Is it true you can use acrylic paint to do the flicks?? Could you apply base coat and then do flicks and then top coat?

I have just found a very cute monkey on ebay that is a nail dryer! Thought it would be a good way of keeping it going and them not being smudged :D
Its battery operated so can still sit outside and catch some rays(nail varnish in cool bag)

Is it true you can use acrylic paint to do the flicks?? Could you apply base coat and then do flicks and then top coat?

yes base coat/ polish then acrylic paint flicks then top coat acrylic paint is the best to do your nail art with as it dries much quickers and if you make a mistake wipe it off with a wet cotton bud, then finish with your standard top coat, for kids make sure it dries quick.

Yes you can use acrylic my tech before i had trained used to do it like that but I have the nail art pens and a striper brush

Probably daft thought..... here goes. Could you use normal stickers as nail art??
My thought is base coat, apply sticker(that way should come off easily with varnish remover), top coat.
Not sure if the adhesive on nail art stickers is any different to normal stickers?

I haven't read all the replies, but I used to always do the kids nails for my eldest daughters school fairs.

I never took french polishes for a start !!

I used to literally sanitise their nails, polish with colours that go on in one coat, then set a rhinestone in with topcoat.

The kids love it, no huge outlay for you, it's quick to do and therefore you can get more kids done, which raises more money for the school !

Gina :)

I have finally recovered from the fair, god my back hurt so much.
It was most definitely worth it as I was offered a business opportunity with a lady who does face painting to do kids parties :D
Forgot to take business cards:o(how stupid),gutted as I had crystal pedicure and hollywood toes! Loads of people were asking about it but the kids took all my attention god they never shut up lol

Latest posts

Back