Selling Gel & Acrylic to Public

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedAdmiral

Reaction score
Now I know we've spoken so many times about Rio but I found out today that this guy in Dublin who sells stick on nails, make up, and wigs is now selling gel, acrylic n nail art to the public. I find this so disturbing. He has about 5 branches already in the city centre and no doubt he'll roll out his chain nationwide. I know there are several brands that sell products to the public in Boots and yes maybe it is an entry to the industry but is this good business? Does it affect the industry? will it help or hinder? On one side you'll have more kitchen cowboys then on the other you may get more dedicated nail techs who will embark on proper training because they bought this pap generic gel and cant get results. I'd love to hear your thoughts

Just make sure he is not selling professional brands (e.g. CND) to Joe Public; probably best to report him if you find him doing this!
Posted via Mobile Device

Well there will always be the joe public who wanna do their nails for less than a pro-tech. In my country there are no regulations at all, which means than anybody can sell gel and acrylic, and they do!

I once thought it was a problem, but now I'm not sure. A lot of people buy this, tries to do nails and then put it on a shelf and forget about it.

What I find a bit more worrying (sp?) is those local nailtechs that does small classes as in "be your own nailtech". I have one of those near where I'm gonna start a new salon. I cannot figure out why the heck you wanna shoot yourself in the foot like that!

Luckily I am confident in my work, and people notice how nice my nails look, compared to the showels made at home at the kitchen table.

Actually come to think about it, I'm not afraid of the competition (wouldn't even call it that) But what I find very disturbing is how many people who don't know anything about chemistry ect. will eventually develope allergy or do harm.

All we can do as always is to educate clients, every day ...

Hi,

I get really annoyed when shops, other that wholesalers and suppliers open and sell nail products to the public!

I've had so many people and even clients say to me that they'd love to be able to do their own nails to save on the cost of getting someone else to do it! All they need to do is walk in to one of these shops and buy products, and they dont even have to have any qualification!

I've had a customer say to me once that she came across some nail art products in some random shop and she had the nerve to ask me why I charged so much, as nail art products like, crushed shells were so cheap to buy!

Not happy at all!

Don't worry.
No matter how anoying that may be, quality wins.

Since in my country, if equiped with enough money, Joe Public can buy space rocket :green: let alone nail stuff, I've had few smart ones who told me (or I found out) that they bought my brand of products. And did their own nails. And came back after few weeks with poor nails and look in their eyes that said, forgive me, for I have sinned :green:

forgive me, for I have sinned :lol::lol:Hee hee:lol::lol:

Yeah I agree they wont get far without training but it just shocked me that a wholesaler and a big one at that would just sell gel to the public - Ireland suffered badly for a few years due to the compensation-culture at one stage suing was in vogue and insurance shot through the roof, its only come down recently, this is what I'm more worried about.

Don't worry.
No matter how anoying that may be, quality wins.

Since in my country, if equiped with enough money, Joe Public can buy space rocket :green: let alone nail stuff, I've had few smart ones who told me (or I found out) that they bought my brand of products. And did their own nails. And came back after few weeks with poor nails and look in their eyes that said, forgive me, for I have sinned :green:

Mari .. you always make me laugh.

As most of you know, I am an American and of course for years have traveled back and forth to the States at least 2-3 times per year ... so ... for 20 years or more the American public has been able to go into ANY drugstore/chemist and buy everything from files & buffers, stick ons, treatments, L&P kits and manicure tools ... the professional nail industry has just continued to grow and grow and grow. Looking at that history would I be worried?? NO.

Cool! that's good enough for me - I've never seen it here before and alarm bells went off.
My Part-timer is South African and she did nails for 10 yrs without training - I never knew/asked where the products came so maybe its the same there.
***A man just came in trying to sell me MAC brushes - back of the lorry stuff - wouldnt touch wit a barge pole** Same difference I suppose I doubt make up artist are scared of him.

Last edited:
Cool! that's good enough for me - I've never seen it here before and alarm bells went off.
My Part-timer is South African and she did nails for 10 yrs without training - I never knew/asked where the products came so maybe its the same there.
***A man just came in trying to sell me MAC brushes - back of the lorry stuff - wouldnt touch wit a barge pole** Same difference I suppose I doubt make up artist are scared of him.

It is my opinion that these sellers attract the teenage market and not the average woman who is getting her nails done professionally.

It is more for the salon goer than just about the nails .. it is 'me time' in the salon and a bit of relaxation and conversation outside of business and the home too.

I have seen small l&p kits with instructions, i think similar to the rio kit although i havent seen them, for sell in ASDA underneath the fake nails for 20 quid. i was shocked!!!!:eek:
The worrying thing is that theres probably no health and safety or proper guidance as to how to dispose of waste. i didnt even see an age ristriction on the kit!

Yeh you can buy do it yourself acrylic kits in boots and the brand "kiss" is sold to the public in superdrug- they have a whole section devoted to it. If you think about it every chemist and super market sells home hair dyes, perm lotion, cheap hair tongs/straightener all hair products- this doesnt stop people wanting a professional job. I think its more teenagers and broke people who would buy do it yourself acrylics lol!!!! i dont think it would affect us infact some people may think oh I can do that with a kit from the chemist and they will see how rubbish it is a and want a proper job!!!

I'm really new to this industry and have already had to sort out 2 clients nails who tried out the home acrylic kits from boots!!!!! and they made a real mess lol. Ok I shouldn't laugh, but I can only imagine the mess that these girls made in their house.

xx

I noticed last week that a stall in my local market has now started selling nail art stuff etc, but on further inspection I also noticed they were selling gel, monomer and powders! I have seen the kits you can buy and have to admit as a teenager I was one of the culprits who bought them ( don't kill me lol).

But the latest surprise was when flicking through my new catalogue last night ( don't know if I can say which one?) and lo and behold there were the 'Rio' products for sale and they now have a kit which is VERY similar to PopIts!! Is there any product that is safe from being copied?...:eek:

I could paint my hair at home yet i still go to the hairdresser... Less fuss, takes less time and turns out better, isn't this the same basic principle?
People with enough money will always prefer quality over price, and aren't those the kind of costumers we want?

Latest posts

Back