Shellac - anyone can do it apparently!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys - u know when u just get so ticked off and have to vent - she follows me on Facebook so can't have a rant there!!!! Lorxxx :lol:
When I was doing web design, now and then we'd lose a client because they wanted to do it themselves, or had a 'friend/brother/etc/' who would do it for free. We would wish them well, thank them for their business, and tell them if they ever needed us, just to call. 4 out of 5 would eventually come back and spend more than they would have before because now we will need to fix whatever the friend screwed up.

Just be patient with that type.. they will be back more than likely.

But that isn't the flip side! That is the point I'm making!!!!!

I ment the flip side that some clients know it's professional product x

One of my clients has recently bought a couple of colours from a well known US site and a lamp off ebay. She doesn't come to me for manicures though, she comes for back massage. She said the reason she bought it was because she can't stand sitting waiting for someone else to do it!

She asked the guy in the cheap nail salon how much he would sell her Shellac for and he told her he would sell for 38 pounds!

As a DIYer, I'd like to chime in on this. I don't think competent nail professionals need to be at all concerned about the impact of DIYers on their business. Yes, the cost of professionally done Shellac and Gelish is a bit daunting at first, but it is value for the money. People who don't recognize that value will look for alternatives - either DIY or cheap "techs." Most such people who go out and buy this stuff use it once or twice, realize that it's a lot harder than it looks and come running back to you.

Other DIYers (like me) are really looking for a different experience than the salon and will do what is necessary to use these products well. We are not a repudiation of the professional nail tech or the salon experience, we just want something different.

The most dangerous people of all are the untrained "DIYer" who gets the products and sets up shop and offers this to others. These untrained people can do a lot of damage to their "clients" and to real professionals. I find them really scary. As well are the "professionals" who offer these services without any training or educations themselves, who misrepresent the services and products, and of course, those who do not follow the proper protocols for cleanliness and sanitation. I know that doesn't apply to anyone here, but I think it is these people who damage the industry the most. As someone working from another aspect of the industry, I am really frustrated by their existence and persistence.

Thanks for all your support guys - I will keep u updated on whether she returns to the professional!!!!! Xxxx

I don't think this forum is for diy'ers Nancy its for professionals...

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

And don't forget, if she asks you WHY her shellac isnt curing properly, or lifting etc, you have to say ' I can't POSSIBLY comment on something I haven't provided for you'!!!

Totally agree!!!

Tell you what, I will give you a choice, you can buy a colour in Boots for 8.99, or you can go to a cheapo salon for 50 quid and have some highlights and a cut from someone new qualified, or who doesnt speak English.
Or, you could pay a hundred quid and have bespoke colour and highlights, and a crafted precision cut and pro blow dry from me.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.:cool:
So agree. My hair is SO important that I expect to pay about £90 for my t section & cut. Had bad experiences as a teenager and will NEVER go to a budget salon again.
One thing to mention as well, some people will give these things a go, find out the hard and expensive way that cheaper isn't always better (& DIY), and you'll find them coming back to you, clients for life as they appreciate so much how good a well done, professional treatment is.
I did with my hair!
But I discovered the top branded salon when I was 18 and earning my own money to pay for it! Lol.

I don't think this forum is for diy'ers Nancy its for professionals...

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

With all fairness to Nancy she is a trained Nail Tech if you check her profile. :)

Thanks geeks and tiggerlady - perfect response - will use it when (fingers crossed) she calls me !!!
Lorraine xx

Just had a text from a lovely regular shellac client telling me that her husband and kids had a bought her a uv lamp and shellac colours for Christmas!!!! She will now no longer require my services!!!!! Do u believe it - I'm fully trained and fully insured and been fully trained by the fab justice crick on how to use shellac.

Why oh why does everyone think any fool with pockets deep enough can do our job????? Am I right to be very very ticked off....???

Geeks thoughts would be appreciated xxxxx::sad:

I'm in Australia and I've just done an acrylic nail course and I qualified as a manicurist in the UK 21 years ago but all I needed to get my hands on Shellac was an Australian Business Number. Not once did I need to produce a certificate so I can only assume others will soon catch on. Not really a good thing when just anyone can start using it with no idea how to apply the product properly.

I'm in Australia and I've just done an acrylic nail course and I qualified as a manicurist in the UK 21 years ago but all I needed to get my hands on Shellac was an Australian Business Number. Not once did I need to produce a certificate so I can only assume others will soon catch on. Not really a good thing when just anyone can start using it with no idea how to apply the product properly.

That is not the way CND operates in most countries. It is certainly not the way CND operates here in the UK. I would imagine this is the way most distributors in Oz operate if someone is doing it with CND products ... Shame on them.
But if people are determined enough they will get anything they want on eBay. Nothing is exclusive anymore and the world is a very greedy place. Your own 'professionals' are selling each other out by selling on eBay.

Very true Geeg!

Whilst I was in Australia I tried to find a wholesalers to get my hair colour and products, I eventually found one in a shopping mall... Open to everyone! Madness.

I rarely have a rant but feel like having one now!

What is ruining our industry are those 'technicians' who will NOT pay for good and on going training! The 'messers' and the 'it looks easy, I can do it' and those that think a short course is enough without taking their craft seriously and making sure they know and learn as much as there is to know are what are ruining our industry! Just reading posts on here just shows how little so many 'professionals' actually know! It is frightening.

I think I can safely consider myself to be a professional but I work with the most powerful influences in the consumer market. I also regularly read the posts on this site. Every beauty journalist I know, every celebrity, every female that has ever experienced the services of a professional nail technician has a bad story to tell!! The questions and the answers I so often read on here demonstrates the lack of knowledge and understanding which could explain the bad experiences.

Instead of stressing on what the discount salon is doing or what is being sold in retail outlets or how much some amateur is charging concentrate on being better than anyone else! This takes investment both in time (learning and reading) and hard cash (as many great courses as you can find)

There are a very few brands who will always be pro only and who keep their faith in their customers while providing the best education there is (and we all know who that is!). There will also be others who have great products and good training who will end up selling retail. BUT they gave the first shot to their pro customers! What happens? Their 'pros' struggle and have problems!

The success of the professional industry is not about stopping discount salons, banning MMA, licenses or moaning about products being sold to anyone! Business is business. The only winners will be those who can do what they do better than those around them!

Take it from one who has fought this battle for years! Since 1987 as a professional and since 1996 in the most pressured and back-stabbing life as a nail technician there is!

Totally agree! The vast majority of nail techs get their diploma and then have no interest to progress, buy their local nail magazine or even visit forums like this. Being a nail tech suits their lifestyle and as long as they can make money form customers, they have no motivation to develop.

I have met several thousand nail techs during the last 5 years at exhibitions. But it is so very rare to see a good set of nails! The majority have next to no apex, 10-15% c-curves and often droop down on the free edge. Few appear to know how to extend the nail bed or how to use the different shapes (square, oval, squoval, almond) to enhance the beauty of the clients fingers. Looking on line at photo's posted by nail techs I see the same mistakes time and time again. Yet if they visited a hairstylist who could only do one shape they would be appalled!

No one else is going to solve these problems, except us as an industry. If we want to be seen as professionals, we have to act as professionals - which means investing in yourself through education, using the best professional products and delivering a great customer experience.

Unfortunately, a lot more people don't have a good experience in a salon because so many 'pros' will not pay for good training or bother to learn their trade.

This is so true. I could do my nails if I wanted as I did train however, I'm useless at doing my other hand and really can't be bothered trying cause I just make myself cranky :mad: I prefer just to go to a salon to get them done and walk out looking fabulous. I'd been going to the same girl for a couple of years and a few months ago ended up sacking her because the quality was horrendous - I was getting to the stage where I was emberassed for people to see my nails.

The sidewalls were filed crooked, lumps and bumps everywhere, bubbles all through the L&P, and god forbid you wanted something other than a natural fill. She doesn't particularly like doing nails but that is her core business. She just keeps up with trends based on what her reps tell her. They show her the new products and that's it. I started to feel like I was just a quick buck for her to make with no care of how her work looked.

My new tech is great, everyone comments on my nails again now and nothing is too much trouble. Whatever nail art or design you want. There is defiantely a big difference in the service you get depending on the salon.

Latest posts

Back