Shellac: Colour fade.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking that. I will l try and find a video that might be easier for me if I can see it being done. X

I love this effect but wanted something more subtle. I painted the nail with Blackpool then using a wee bit of cosmetic sponge with tweezers I sponged Hollywood on. This pic doesn't do them justice, you still get the twinkle from the Hollywood and my clients love it.

So you sponge the second color on? Do u do this in a couple of layers to get the intensity u want at the cuticle? Very interesting...

I do quite a few fades with Shellac and find that using pigment powder (like a Mica powder that scrapbookers use) gives the best gradual fade. I just dab it on with a small brush and it is fairly easy to gradient gently. Looks very nice :)

I do quite a few fades with Shellac and find that using pigment powder (like a Mica powder that scrapbookers use) gives the best gradual fade. I just dab it on with a small brush and it is fairly easy to gradient gently. Looks very nice :)

Sounds like a good idea but doesn't it stick to the brush when you top coat it? X

No it sticks really well to the sticky layer. Just ensure you brush off any excess with your brush. I have seen a lot of Shellac techs using this technique online. Here is an example of a client I did last week:

gold_fade.jpg

No it sticks really well to the sticky layer. Just ensure you brush off any excess with your brush. I have seen a lot of Shellac techs using this technique online. Here is an example of a client I did last week:

gold_fade.jpg

Wow that looks lovely. What colours did you use?

It's actually Masquerade with a 'Super Bronze' pigment powder...but my camera flash has altered the colour a bit . Looks more yellow than it was.

Sorry to hijack but can I ask where you got your pigment powders from? I NEED some :wink2:

I'm in New Zealand and just got them online from a Scrapbook supply type place. I think any type of mica powder is fine and the MAC pigment powders too (although they are very expensive - here anyway). My particular brand is pearlex pigment powder.

I'm in New Zealand and just got them online from a Scrapbook supply type place. I think any type of mica powder is fine and the MAC pigment powders too (although they are very expensive - here anyway). My particular brand is pearlex pigment powder.

Thank you, I shall have a little look about ;)

By all means have a play but please don't spend too much on pigments! I love MAC too but they are expensive. Wait for the CND Additives, they have been formulated to work with our nail products. I know it's hard but they are worth waiting for!

By all means have a play but please don't spend too much on pigments! I love MAC too but they are expensive. Wait for the CND Additives, they have been formulated to work with our nail products. I know it's hard but they are worth waiting for!

Wait?!?!?!? :lol: Ok, think I have enough effects to be trying out at the mo anyway :wink2: Do you know when they might be launched?

Woo...sounds great! Wonder when they will be available here in NZ. My rep hasn't mentioned them yet.

I've just found embossing powders on eBay for really silly money! Do you think it could also be used? :)

I've just found embossing powders on eBay for really silly money! Do you think it could also be used? :)

I'm not keen on the idea if I'm honest. Embossing powders are designed to melt into a solid coating with heat- granted it's quite an intense heat needed to melt them, but it's still not something I'd like on my nails for safety reasons. x

I'm not keen on the idea if I'm honest. Embossing powders are designed to melt into a solid coating with heat- granted it's quite an intense heat needed to melt them, but it's still not something I'd like on my nails for safety reasons. x

i would obviously not use the heat to melt them but use their conistency for the fade off effect :)

I wouldn't dream about approaching my customers with any heat tool haha :)

The lamp might still heat it up when the hand is under it. If you search for Micah powders on ebay you will find loads and they are only a couple of pounds. X

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

I was thinking that. I will l try and find a video that might be easier for me if I can see it being done. X

On one of fingernailfixers videos she does some nail art using sponges. I bought some. Make up sponges ages ago to give it a try and still haven't got around to it. Might have to dig it all out later and play.

The lamp might still heat it up when the hand is under it. If you search for Micah powders on ebay you will find loads and they are only a couple of pounds. X

Thank you hun! Will do that then!

Latest posts

Back