Shellac: Colour fade.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The lamp might still heat it up when the hand is under it. If you search for Micah powders on ebay you will find loads and they are only a couple of pounds. X

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

Hi Steph. Have you used these powders with Gelish/Shellac? Does it affect the wear? They look great...thanks for the link. Xx

i would obviously not use the heat to melt them but use their conistency for the fade off effect :)

I wouldn't dream about approaching my customers with any heat tool haha :)

Of course! Sorry hun, I didn't mean it that way, I'm sure you wouldn't go at it with heat, but as another poster mentioned, any kind of heat on the nails afterwards has the potential to melt the powder- that's what I was getting at xx

Watch out! Apparently if u don't post things in their designated groups your thread gets closed down. It just happened to me! Forum
Mafia! Lol :)

Hi Steph. Have you used these powders with Gelish/Shellac? Does it affect the wear? They look great...thanks for the link. Xx

I haven't actually tried them yet but I can't imagine it will affect the wear anymore than glitter does. Xx

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using SalonGeek

do you think this would work with Barry M Dazzle Dust?

@ Unique.Tips slightly off topic here (sorry!) but your gorgeous nail design on your avatar is making me want to eat some Battenberg Cake!! Lol!

do you think this would work with Barry M Dazzle Dust?

Give it a try on a colour pop :wink2: No harm done then xx

hey geeks

I've used Mica powders with shellac with great results just like glitter as above. Just scrub into tacky layer. I tend to put a colour or cream puff under the Mica powders to get a better colour.

Hth x x x

@ Unique.Tips slightly off topic here (sorry!) but your gorgeous nail design on your avatar is making me want to eat some Battenberg Cake!! Lol!

Lol THANKS! :) gotta love glitter paste ;)

Glitter or pigment shouldn't be loose when you top it, however, I keep a separate top coat for glitters just in case.
Young nails has a video on YouTube called "glitter press". He uses a form to press it in.

Sent from my Desire HD using SalonGeek

So you sponge the second color on? Do u do this in a couple of layers to get the intensity u want at the cuticle? Very interesting...

I did a full coat of Blackpool then sponged on Hollywood at the tip. I did about 3 layers of Hollywood to build the colour but I couldn't get it to be more red if that makes sense, it's more reddish brown - but I still love it.

One wee tip that helped me to blend was I took a tiny bit of makeup sponge with no product on and sponged around the join of the two colours. It seemed to blend easier than using my sponge with the red on it.

I'm rubbish at explaining things, hope this makes sense.

Xx

I did a full coat of Blackpool then sponged on Hollywood at the tip. I did about 3 layers of Hollywood to build the colour but I couldn't get it to be more red if that makes sense, it's more reddish brown - but I still love it.

One wee tip that helped me to blend was I took a tiny bit of makeup sponge with no product on and sponged around the join of the two colours. It seemed to blend easier than using my sponge with the red on it.

I'm rubbish at explaining things, hope this makes sense.

Xx

Thinking out loud here so if not right then just ignore me but I wonder, to get the red more intense if it would work if you did your blackpool, then a very thin layer of top coat, then sponge the red on? But then I know you couldn't blend it into the black very well as it would be on top of top coat, just thinking how you could get it more red using Shellac....... So no, probably wouldn't work Lol!! Maybe the only way it might work is by using acrylic or gel paint instead to get the intense red without it altering the colour of the Blackpool?

No it sticks really well to the sticky layer. Just ensure you brush off any excess with your brush. I have seen a lot of Shellac techs using this technique online. Here is an example of a client I did last week:

gold_fade.jpg

I love these so much I've just went straight online and bought some mica powders. Can't wait to start playing. Thank you for the inspiration. Xx

So looking at the CND Lookbook these nails are part of the Rock n Roll Spring trend, and seems to be achieved using the NEW Additives range due out late Spring. :confused:

Iv just had a go at 2x dark lava layers with iced cappuccinno fade and I cannot for the life of me get it to look nice. It looks like I'm a kid at school using a sponge to dab paint on a piece of paper lol! Xx

Iv just had a go at 2x dark lava layers with iced cappuccinno fade and I cannot for the life of me get it to look nice. It looks like I'm a kid at school using a sponge to dab paint on a piece of paper lol! Xx

That is what mine usually look like too. I am either doing it with the wrong type of sponge or I'm too heavy-handed?!

That is what mine usually look like too. I am either doing it with the wrong type of sponge or I'm too heavy-handed?!

I'm using a cosmetic sponge, they cant all be that different can they? Glad I'm not the only 1 that cant do it. We must be doing something wrong xx

I'm using a cosmetic sponge, they cant all be that different can they? Glad I'm not the only 1 that cant do it. We must be doing something wrong xx

I haven't tried this effect yet so can't really comment but on the videos I've watched the sponge is dabbed a bit on some paper/tile so that the smallest amount is actually on the sponge to give the "sponge" effect IYSWIM? Have you tried that? Adding just a little at a time and building it up to the density you want?

Latest posts

Back