Shellac....going wrong!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks - Now i did my 3rd shellac manicure today and OMG...i was soo annoyed as the iced cappaccino kept smudging even after it was cured. I was putting on top coat just after curing the 2nd coat of colour and it was dragging the colour off!!
Now i wasn't advised if in doing the manicure its okay to massage hands first?I thought it might make the shellac hard to stick to nail plate so i rubbed nail plates with acetone before applying base coat.....so i am at a complete loss as to why this happened - could it have been a duff bottle??

Lisa

hello! i never massage hands first,but if by mistake i do,never use aceton to remove the oils...i use scrubfresh-cleanser. the best for me is to do the shellac and after i do massage....

Its been asked a 1000 times but ill ask anyway lol did you use the right light?and the bulbs are up to date?

when im doing a mani or pedi and shellac I do it the other way round, nail PEP then shellac then the manicure.
as far as I know thats the recomended way :)

Talk us through your application step by step naming all products you use and how long. You must be doing something wrong as if you are following the manufaturers guidelines and following them exactly then this wouldn't happen. Xxx

Sounds to me Like the lamp isn't curing the shellac for that to happen, do the bulbs need changing?

I had a faulty basecoat last month that caused something similar to happen. I don't massage before shellac anyway but applied the basecoat and after the first layer of colour it appeared to shrink and have pockets underneath as if it had been applied too thickly when it hadn't.

It was almost like a topcoat had been mislabled and it hadn't cured in 10 secs. Anyway i phoned sweet squared and sent it back to them for testing and they agreed it was faulty.

It was the first faulty one out of about 10 i had so i could tell on the first application something was wrong, it was just too thick.

I would try again without doing the massage and if you have problems again call sweet squared for advice.

For product to come away, the product must not be cured. If the product has not cured then the problem is the UV lamp you are using or the bulbs being ineffective.

Hello ladies.... It can't be the lamp surely because I did my nails and my mums and they are fine plus I only got it last week so its brand new.

As to what I did, I printed out geeg instructions as oddly enough s2 said they don't have any instruction that they send on how to use the product?? : ( (I think this is VERY ODD as whenever we buy anything there is always user instructions and especially for a new treatment you normally always get a step by step how to do it ......and a "wgat not to do")

Anyway so I massaged and thought i would need to take the oil off nails so that the shellac could stick so i used acetone i thought this was right as i was sure i was taught this as prep for the nail when i did gel course?

Anyway Base coat 10 seconds, Thin colour coat 2 minutes cured, 2nd coat 2 minutes to cure and top coat 2 minutes to cure....Just like one of the ladies said on here it looked like the colour was being pulled by the brush when i was top coating ( and this was AFTER it was cured)

As said I shellacked my mum with this colour and it seemed fine but to be honest today it seemed so thick!....I don't think its the lamp though....tks for help....Lisa

Hello ladies.... It can't be the lamp surely because I did my nails and my mums and they are fine plus I only got it last week so its brand new.

As to what I did, I printed out geeg instructions as oddly enough s2 said they don't have any instruction that they send on how to use the product?? : ( (I think this is VERY ODD as whenever we buy anything there is always user instructions and especially for a new treatment you normally always get a step by step how to do it ......and a "wgat not to do")

Anyway so I massaged and thought i would need to take the oil off nails so that the shellac could stick so i used acetone i thought this was right as i was sure i was taught this as prep for the nail when i did gel course?

Anyway Base coat 10 seconds, Thin colour coat 2 minutes cured, 2nd coat 2 minutes to cure and top coat 2 minutes to cure....Just like one of the ladies said on here it looked like the colour was being pulled by the brush when i was top coating ( and this was AFTER it was cured)

As said I shellacked my mum with this colour and it seemed fine but to be honest today it seemed so thick!....I don't think its the lamp though....tks for help....Lisa

If you are not using a CND UV Lamp, the product will not be completely cured. All gels are not the same and Shellac is not a gel but is a cross between gel and polish and each colour cures differently so if you are not using the CND lamp you will not get a complete cure ... Shellac has been formulated to be used with one lamp and that is the UV Lamp from CND. What may appear to you to be cured will not be ... the product will not perform as promised without using the correct lamp.

As for the instructions, they are available .... right here on this site and CND run classes so that one can effectively use the product with full knowledge ... I always take a class with a new product precisely because I want FULL details of everything I will be using and why and how it works. Most all coloured gels are the same .. Shellac is different and specific .. and superior results are obtained when you use the system .. the complete system including the lamp.

CND do not sell products with instructions, they sell products with educational support. Always the best way and not unique in the beauty industry but fairly unique in the nail industry ... we are proud of that reputation.

CND do not sell products with instructions, they sell products with educational support. Always the best way and not unique in the beauty industry but fairly unique in the nail industry ... we are proud of that reputation.

Geeg is there a list anywhere of Shellac classes, I'd love to go to one. I did speak to my local CND educator a few months ago and there wan't any available when i asked. x

Geeg is there a list anywhere of Shellac classes, I'd love to go to one. I did speak to my local CND educator a few months ago and there wan't any available when i asked. x

Best to check with Sweetsquared. 0845 2106060

Last edited by a moderator:

What lamp are you using? what is the uv out put wattage?

Why are you massaging prior to shellac? is there a reason?

When performing your prep routine removing nonliving tissue etc you only need to use a nail cleanser such as Scrubfresh by CND other brand do similar such as nsi which I think is pure, acetone is not necessary.You only need thin light strokes as you would with you regular polish, and remember if you are working near natural light or a lamp etc your product in the bottle could cure or on your brush if you are working to slow this wont help, but it really sound as if your lamp is to blame and undercuring of product is what is the culprit,

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you really shaking the bottles before application - they do need a really good shake to mix them up, not just a roll between the hands like you would with polish.

If you are not using a CND UV Lamp, the product will not be completely cured. All gels are not the same and Shellac is not a gel but is a cross between gel and polish and each colour cures differently so if you are not using the CND lamp you will not get a complete cure ... Shellac has been formulated to be used with one lamp and that is the UV Lamp from CND. What may appear to you to be cured will not be ... the product will not perform as promised without using the correct lamp.

As for the instructions, they are available .... right here on this site and CND run classes so that one can effectively use the product with full knowledge ... I always take a class with a new product precisely because I want FULL details of everything I will be using and why and how it works. Most all coloured gels are the same .. Shellac is different and specific .. and superior results are obtained when you use the system .. the complete system including the lamp.

Hi Geeg.... I have the cnd lamp yes. Brand new last week....The whole system. Lisa

Did you get every bit of the blue cellophane off of the lamp?

Yes all the cellophane off the lamp and as i said I have done 2 already and they were fine???

I massaged because this is part of a manicure routine and i didn't know that when doing shellac we were not to do this step.........I literally did everything that was on the instructions from geeg so i think it has to be the polish? It was not undercured as i did 10 sec, 2 min,2 min and 2 min topcoat

Yes all the cellophane off the lamp and as i said I have done 2 already and they were fine???

I massaged because this is part of a manicure routine and i didn't know that when doing shellac we were not to do this step.........I literally did everything that was on the instructions from geeg so i think it has to be the polish? It was not undercured as i did 10 sec, 2 min,2 min and 2 min topcoat

All that sounds right. Maybe try again on one nail and apply nice and thin.

One other thing I thought of was, did you thoroughly shake the bottle before using? The colours like all colours of polish may settle and do need a good mixing before you paint with them .. if not then this could have been your problem.

Thoroughly shake (not just roll but shake) and try again and let us know how you go on.

I have used this colour many times and not had any problems. If problems still persist, then do what you would do with anything else and return the bottle for testing.

Thanks girlies.......i'll let you know how i go.

Lisa

I used Iced Cappacino for the 1st time last week and had the same problem, I am new to Shellac but had done 2 friends nails with it previously (different colours) and had no problems it wasn't pulling colour off but it seemed thicker than the other 2 colours i had used, gloopy almost and it was a brand new bottle that i received on Wednesday. I am going to try it again and making sure I give it a good shake and if it is still the same I think I will return it for testing.

hi there,
i agreee with everything you say about s2, they are fantastic, and all you have to do is contact them and they will give you full support/training and knowlage on anything you want to know,
i recentley contacted s2 as i was and am very interested in the shellac and i was invited down to leeds to have my nails done (wow) by samantha sweet her self, we were on the phone for over an hour and we were well in to the conversation before i even knew who i was talking to lol, and she couldent have been nicer,
when i arrived i had my nails shellaced by a fantastic gal kelly and OMG does she know her stuff, she was amasing and went throught every thing step by step with me and answered every question without hesitation,and i was even more impressed when samantha came to meet me during my time with kelly,i heard the door open and some1 walk in but i felt rude to turn away from kelly and look to see who had called as she was explaining something to me but i did look roung after a minute or two and then felf bad for been rude and not looking lol:lol:any way i came away from s2 with so much information and cant wait to go back for more courses and especially to get all of my shellac ordered because im ready to go xx

Latest posts

Back