Shellac or Geleration?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lara86

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me which product they think is better or lasts longer?
I currently have Shellac but am looking to change to Geleration as they claim it last longer?

Has anyone had both of these treatments done to know the diffence?

How long do you want the product to last to last? Longer than 3 weeks?? It would look pants after 3 weeks whatever it was.

Don't be dupped by false claims .. Shellac will last every bit of 3 weeks on most reasonable clients. These are my Shellacked nails ... who wants re-growth longer than this?? But look at the shine and even the free edge is not worn away and I am not easy on my hands at all. Proof

geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture28452-gigis-natural-nails-done-shellac-wildfire-18-days-ago.jpg

As a business person do you want the nails to last longer than this?? I certainly want my clients to come back in 3 weeks and no longer.

How long do you want the product to last to last? Longer than 3 weeks?? It would look pants after 3 weeks whatever it was.

Don't be dupped by false claims .. Shellac will last every bit of 3 weeks on most reasonable clients. These are my Shellacked nails ... who wants re-growth longer than this?? But look at the shine and even the free edge is not worn away and I am not easy on my hands at all. Proof

geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture28452-gigis-natural-nails-done-shellac-wildfire-18-days-ago.jpg

As a business person do you want the nails to last longer than this?? I certainly want my clients to come back in 3 weeks and no longer.

shellac !!!!!! every time.
i have a picture of my 3 weeks growth (if i can get it uploaded) and i really must redo them lol, but i had these done as a trial to see just how great shellac are and i am very heavy handed and have put them to a very hard test over the last 3 weeks, but look for your self x

hiya,
by geleration do you mean Gelish? I think it's just a matter of personal preference, you'll have people who love and swear by Shellac just as you have people who love Gelish.....

There are loads of threads on this forum so do a search and you'll find loads of info on both, also worth having a look on Shellac lovers group and Gelish lovers group.
Hope that helps!
x

Definatly Shellac!

My mum has had hers on for 4 weeks now and they r still perfect (apart from the growth!!) and she is very hard on her hands! With geleration you have to buff off the shine on the natural nail whereas with shellac you dont so clients are attracted by this, they dont want to damage their own nails. I had a client today travel for an hour to get to me to have shellac as she could not find anyone else nearer offering it and she had read up about shellac on the internet. I absolutely love it!!

As geleration is a Jessica product it is generally taken on by salons who already have a Jessica account and use Jessica for all of their natural nail needs so most wont have tried shellac also.

If you have a Jessica account in the salon then it is easy enough to get the rep to come and see you and demo the product.

If you dont have a Jessica account I am unsure what their proceedure is for buying geleration alone with no other products.

I havent heard any complaints from skilled techs who use any of these products as far as how long they last. Skilled Shellac / Gelish / Geleration techs have all been getting the desired time from the nails before the regrowth looks unsightly.

It is all about your preference. If you haven't tried any of them then its time to get to either some demos, or some salons that do these treatments and see for yourself. After all why invest in something and tell your clients how great it is if you haven't tried it yourself

hiya,
by geleration do you mean Gelish? I think it's just a matter of personal preference, you'll have people who love and swear by Shellac just as you have people who love Gelish.....

There are loads of threads on this forum so do a search and you'll find loads of info on both, also worth having a look on Shellac lovers group and Gelish lovers group.
Hope that helps!
x

Geleration, Gelish, GelLak ... all the same ... they are coloured gels so it really does not matter which of the hundreds of different makes you choose from in that category ... they all require prep of the natural nail which is precisely why many natural nail clients do not want to wear coloured gels and prefer Shellac (which is not a coloured gel and requires no preparation of the natural nail other than to remove any cuticle build up and then cleanse the nail .. absolutley no buffing).

Shellac in my opinion wears better than coloured gels and also applies thinner for a 'polished' look instead of an overlay-type look. BOTH will stay on if applied correctly for a few weeks but the shine of Shellac after 3 weeks is still brillient where as I find on myself the coloured gels do have zillions of tiny scratches on the surface. Now I have worn both and I am giving a fair critique of both.

Shellac very much appeals to the woman who has natural nails and does not want them to be buffed or abraded or prepped as for enhancements ... she wants a polish that LASTS without chipping for at least 2 weeks and that is what she gets with Shellac (usually 3).

Just published yesterday in New York.
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/22/vain-glorious-shellac-is-still-going-strong/

Last edited:

Geleration, Gelish, GelLak ... all the same ... they are coloured gels so it really does not matter which of the hundreds of different makes you choose from in that category ... they all require prep of the natural nail which is precisely why many natural nail clients do not want to wear coloured gels and prefer Shellac (which is not a coloured gel and requires no preparation of the natural nail other than to remove any cuticle build up and then cleanse the nail .. absolutley no buffing).

Shellac in my opinion wears better than coloured gels and also applies thinner for a 'polished' look instead of an overlay-type look. BOTH will stay on if applied correctly for a few weeks but the shine of Shellac after 3 weeks is still brillient where as I find on myself the coloured gels do have zillions of tiny scratches on the surface. Now I have worn both and I am giving a fair critique of both.

Shellac very much appeals to the woman who has natural nails and does not want them to be buffed or abraded or prepped as for enhancements ... she wants a polish that LASTS without chipping for at least 2 weeks and that is what she gets with Shellac (usually 3).

Just published yesterday in New York.
Vain Glorious | Shellac Still Going Strong - NYTimes.com

In the 6 months since launch in the UK we have never had to dismiss any other brand to promote our own .. We feel our product and the thousands of ecstatic followers we have is testament to an amazing brand. There is no need for us to mention polish hybrids as being inferior, just because they are ‘polish based’, there is just no need.
We will and never will be drawn into disrespecting ANY other brand at any cost just to promote our own. It is for you, the techs, to make your own minds up as to how you think each product wears.
However I think the CND link here should be explored by all users when making comparisons especially regarding a light buff of the natural nail
http://shellacblog.com/2010/08/qa-2-why-are-a-few-of-my-shellac-clients-peeling/
It cannot be so wrong to buff the natural nail if CND are recommending it for peeling nails?

In the 6 months since launch in the UK we have never had to dismiss any other brand to promote our own .. We feel our product and the thousands of ecstatic followers we have is testament to an amazing brand. There is no need for us to mention polish hybrids as being inferior, just because they are ‘polish based’, there is just no need.
We will and never will be drawn into disrespecting ANY other brand at any cost just to promote our own. It is for you, the techs, to make your own minds up as to how you think each product wears.
However I think the CND link here should be explored by all users when making comparisons especially regarding a light buff of the natural nail
http://shellacblog.com/2010/08/qa-2-why-are-a-few-of-my-shellac-clients-peeling/
It cannot be so wrong to buff the natural nail if CND are recommending it for peeling nails?

Come on Georgie .. No one has dismissed anything and buffing off some loose flakes of nail is not the same thing at all ... everyone buffs off flaking natural nail before polishing or anything else as otherwise it would be quite stupid to apply something to it wouldn't it? Quite different to buffing the whole of the natural nail to make the product stick.
Why would anyone say that a polish hybrid was inferior when quite clearly it is not? That would just be silly.

No one is disrespecting coloured gels .. there are so many of them ... just saying that it is standard practice to buff the whole of the natural nail and then use a bonder etc to make the prodcut last... BECAUSE IT IS A GEL

Just saying none of that is necessary when using Shellac ... which is true.

That is fair comment, not dissing another product .. they are 2 different things completely. Why do you feel you have to defend?

lETS NOT MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Coloured gels are one thing and Shellac is another. Many clients do NOT want coloured gel because of the buffing .. that is also fair comment .. many don't care one way or another. One is for one market and one is for another.

Horses for courses right?

Last edited:
I think it is personal preference. I use Gelish, having tried both. Gelish has 48 great colours and more coming in the new year. No problems with stock. Harmony has great customer service and orders are dispatched very quickly. The product lasts until you remove it so its up to you and your client to decide when to have maintanence. I have found and so have others that regular use makes the natural nail stronger. So removing the surface shine does not damage the natural nail.
I have it on my nails and am very happy with it also my clients love it too.

That's terrific for you ... but this thread was about Shellac and Geleration so not sure where Gelish comes into it other than it is also a coloured gel.

People have found the same benefits you highlight with Shellac .. me being one of them .. stronger natural nails .. really :green: .. and long lasting wear. That wasn't really the point.

The point is that there are people who will not wear gel because they do not want their nails buffing nor primed despite your promises of no thinning etc. They just don't want it .. INCLUDING all the beauty editors etc who will not poromote anything where the natural nail needs buffing first.

I'm done .. carry on

Come on Georgie .. No one has dismissed anything and buffing off some loose flakes of nail is not the same thing at all ... everyone buffs off flaking natural nail before polishing or anything else as otherwise it would be quite stupid to apply something to it wouldn't it? Quite different to buffing the whole of the natural nail to make the product stick.

As the training with Shellac stipulates 'no filing' needed on the nail plate before application of Shellac, maybe not all techs understand the need to remove this natural nail delamination, therfore they have been suffering with peeling issues with Shellac (as read in the CND blog, link on previous post), which then says it's ok to buff.
Gelish application does not require any kind of severe buffing, only a gentle one stroke buff across the natural nail to remove the shine, not nail plate layers.

No one is disrespecting coloured gels .. there are so many of them ... just saying that it is standard practice to buff the whole of the natural nail and then use a bonder etc to make the prodcut last... BECAUSE IT IS A GEL

Gelish does not need a 'bonder' to make it stick, it uses a foundation base layer, just in the same way Shellac needs a base coat.

Just saying none of that is necessary when using Shellac ... which is true.

That is fair comment, not dissing another product .. they are 2 different things completely. Why do you feel you have to defend?

lETS NOT MAKE SOMETHING OUT OF NOTHING. Coloured gels are one thing and Shellac is another. Many clients do NOT want coloured gel because of the buffing .. that is also fair comment .. many don't care one way or another. One is for one market and one is for another.

Horses for courses right?

Shellac & Gelish are indeed two different products and there is very much a market for both.

Shellac & Gelish are indeed two different products and there is very much a market for both.

So, just so I understand .... you are saying that if the free edge of the natural nail is clearly flakey and peeling, you would leave that loose material on the free edge and just apply the gel over the top of it and guarantee no chipping of the gel for 3 weeks?

Bearing in mind that it is standard proceedure in any normal manicure to remove any loose nail before polishing. Under normal circumstances ( a healthy natural nail) you would never need to buff the natural nail before applying Shellac .. even lightly.

That's terrific for you ... but this thread was about Shellac and Geleration so not sure where Gelish comes into it other than it is also a coloured gel.

People have found the same benefits you highlight with Shellac .. me being one of them .. stronger natural nails .. really :green: .. and long lasting wear. That wasn't really the point.

The point is that there are people who will not wear gel because they do not want their nails buffing nor primed despite your promises of no thinning etc. They just don't want it .. INCLUDING all the beauty editors etc who will not poromote anything where the natural nail needs buffing first.

I'm done .. carry on

Umm sorry geeg just need to correct you there! I don't like to get into these Gelish vs Shellac arguements as it is simply a matter of opinion and there is no need to be disrespectful to one another but...... I have to step in here.

I did the Editor of Glamour magazines nails on Thursday - a Gelish manicure to be exact! Not only did she love them soo much she introduced me to the beauty team who were very aware of Gelish and love it but she even tweeted about her manicure!

Umm sorry geeg just need to correct you there! I don't like to get into these Gelish vs Shellac arguements as it is simply a matter of opinion and there is no need to be disrespectful to one another but...... I have to step in here.

I did the Editor of Glamour magazines nails on Thursday - a Gelish manicure to be exact! Not only did she love them soo much she introduced me to the beauty team who were very aware of Gelish and love it but she even tweeted about her manicure!

lol glad you've found one who doesn't mind .. the beauty editors we have come across won't entertain having their nartural nails buffed all over even ever so lightly as some claim to be doing.

And, by the way, for the record, I am not arguing with anyone nor showing any disrespect. :green: nor defending; just saying how it is with Shellac which is what the original thread was about.

So, just so I understand .... you are saying that if the free edge of the natural nail is clearly flakey and peeling, you would leave that loose material on the free edge and just apply the gel over the top of it and guarantee no chipping of the gel for 3 weeks?

Gigi, I did not say that I would leave delaminated peeling layer of nail plate before application of either Shellac or Gelish. What I am saying is that some techs may be following the rules too cautiously & not go near the nail plate with a file as it was stipulated that no filing is needed to the natural nail before appliction of Shellac. I have used Shellac, as you know, and have had clients with delamination at the free edge & I have file away the delamination with a Koala before my application, with no problems.

Bearing in mind that it is standard proceedure in any normal manicure to remove any loose nail before polishing. Under normal circumstances ( a healthy natural nail) you would never need to buff the natural nail before applying Shellac .. even lightly.

It is standard procedure in any normal manicure, but Shellac is not the norm is it, so I'm saying some techs are following CND guidelines without exception, prior to application & not going near the nail plate with a file of any sort, hence they are having issues with peeling. Other, more experienced techs understand the need to do this prior to application, hopefully.

This OP was asking about Shellac and Geleration. As I've never used Geleration I haven't commented. But now people are talking about Shellac and Gelish, both of which I have used so here's my opinion.

I've been using Shellac since it's launch and fell in love immediately. Very thin, goes on just like polish and has a shine that lasts. I'm really not a fan of having to shake it though. I had 4 Shellac clients in one house and they all wanted different colours and my arm was sore shaking them for 30 seconds each. I didnt want them to get thick was was making sure I gave them a good shake.

My clients were asking for more dark colours so I had to do something about that. I got some Gelish and again I'm in love. Very thin and applies like polish. I bought a small collection of dark colours and now I'm having trouble deciding on which colours to order next as there are so many of them. At first I felt like I was cheating on Shellac but the shine and lasting power has told me it's ok. Lol.

I prep the nail for Gelish in exactly the same way I prep for Shellac. File, remove cuticle, Scrubfresh and apply. Getting 3 weeks with absolutely NO problems. If having both Shellac and Gelish keeps my clients happy then that keeps me happy. :green:

You brought up Gelish in the first place. I personally think that they both have a place in the market and it is the techs choice. I have chosen and dont like to see people being given the wrong information about it. As i think you wouldnt like the same being done to shellac.

There is no bonder used.

Its been in beauty mags already and will be in Elle in Jan.

It is standard procedure in any normal manicure, but Shellac is not the norm is it, so I'm saying some techs are following CND guidelines without exception, prior to application & not going near the nail plate with a file of any sort, hence they are having issues with peeling. Other, more experienced techs understand the need to do this prior to application, hopefully.

Well these issues are what good education is for.
I guess it cannot be taken for granted that nail techs know everything even if supposedly experienced.

All is explained at the Shellac Attack classes. In many cases techs need to be taught how to polish, as if only one thing has come out of all of this hoopla. it is that a good majority of even experienced techs do not know how to either manicure or do a professional polish.

I'm sure we are all finding the same issues, not only with Shellac but with the all the coloured gels too.

Last edited:
The original question was about Shellac v Geleration and Gelish was brought into it by a poster who had not heard of Geleration and assumed the question was about Gelish and it went from there.

Please let's not have yet another thread which degenerates into an argument.

We have to accept that if you want to compare apples with oranges then you will not get the results you want.

Shellac is an apple - Geleration, Gelish, Gelak etc. etc are oranges.

There is room for them all.

Latest posts

Back