Shellac problems yet again!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzieboot

Reaction score
Hi all, sorry if there is already an answer to this problem BUT ... can someone please help me. I have been using shellac for approx 6 weeks now but I am struggling to apply correctly. What I mean is that I do everything I am supposed to to regarding capping each coat, but after curing all coats when I look at the free edge it seems to colour has disappeared and you can see the nail edge!! Why oh why is this happening. Also even after applying second coat of colour sometimes it looks streaky and looks as though it has shrunk from nail walls.

Are you using the correct lamp?

Do you make sure to remove any oils from the nail plate and scrubfresh before application?

You really shouldn't experience any problems with Shellac and I'm sure it's just something simple, we just need to find out what it is.

Are you shaking the bottles really well before application and applying thin like polish?

Yes got the new shellac lamp and doing all the pep correctly. Maybe I,m applying too thinly??

I'm stumped really... the one thing I love about Shellac is, unlike gel, it doesn't shrink back off the nail.

You don't even need to cap it as you would with a gel... it looks better if you do but won't effect the service, you can even file it after a week or so and you won't break the seal if you know what I mean.

Have you had your Shellac class?... I'm sure that would help, or there are some fab videos and you can see how it's applied.

Just apply like you would a polish is the only way I can describe or thick/thin it should be.

Last edited:
Hi all, sorry if there is already an answer to this problem BUT ... can someone please help me. I have been using shellac for approx 6 weeks now but I am struggling to apply correctly. What I mean is that I do everything I am supposed to to regarding capping each coat, but after curing all coats when I look at the free edge it seems to colour has disappeared and you can see the nail edge!! Why oh why is this happening. Also even after applying second coat of colour sometimes it looks streaky and looks as though it has shrunk from nail walls.

If you are ising the correct lamp, it sounds to me like you are not capping the free edge with the topcoat. If you have missed any topcoat on the colour shellac this will wipe off. Are you noticing any colour on your lintfree pad once you wipe the tacky layer off. It also sounds to me like maybe you are doing it too thin making it streaky and seethrough, I find some of the colours are a little streaky but once you add the topcoat this normally sorts this out. Give it a go on one nail and make sure you cap the free edge properly. Ax

Have not noticed any colour left when wiping off. If I have applied correctly, when a client holds their hand our would you see colour on the nail edge? (ie the colour capping the nail edge) Also, clients' nails seem to have worn off at the nail edge after 8 days??

You may be applying the colour too thinly and the top coat may not be covering the whole nail as has already been said.

It IS hard to miss spots with the top coat as it's clear so you can't see. Make sure you have good light when you work and check under the light to ensure the whole nail is covered with the top coat... if you have not covered the whole nail then this could be why the polish itself has worn away.

What are you using to remove the inhibition layer?

You may be applying the colour too thinly and the top coat may not be covering the whole nail as has already been said.

It IS hard to miss spots with the top coat as it's clear so you can't see. Make sure you have good light when you work and check under the light to ensure the whole nail is covered with the top coat... if you have not covered the whole nail then this could be why the polish itself has worn away.

What are you using to remove the inhibition layer?
That is a good question to ask!

I use the D Sperce it really is the best i love the scent:eek:...having said that i am glad i bought it because when taking off that inhibition layer it truly brings out the lustre of the colour....a well worthwhile investment in my eyes!....i was going to use my calgel one but using every product in the correct way and using them synthetically together creates a dream system to use in my opinion

I love the smell of d-sperse as well! :)

I think you may be applying your second coat too thin, imo it does shrink back a bit. So with the second coat you can afford to go a little heavier and defo cap the free edge.:)

Cheers will try all the helpful hints, I love this forum xxx

Don't know about Shellac but for gel- just before going into the lamp go back over only the free edges again & put the hand in the lamp as quick as possible so it doesn't get the chance to pull back.

Might just give that a try. thanks

I have experienced very occasionally that my french white will shrink back on the other nails by the time i have painted all 5 tips and before they go in the lamp. I paint my whites straight over the base and it seems to be when it is a new bottle of shellac white.

I haven't worked out why this happens yet though has it is a occasional occurrence and not too much of a problem if i check over the tips before going into the lamp. I would just re cap all 5 nails before placing in the lamp.

Just another thought, when you set up your lamp did you make sure that you removed "ALL" of the blue protective film from the inside of the lamp?
Jen xxx

you have to make sure that you cover the whole nail with base coat. If not then the colour will not stick and it will look like it has shrunk back when in fact it has had nothing to stick too.:)

Have not noticed any colour left when wiping off. If I have applied correctly, when a client holds their hand our would you see colour on the nail edge? (ie the colour capping the nail edge) Also, clients' nails seem to have worn off at the nail edge after 8 days??
I know its over a year, but I am going insane looking for a solution to the same problem u had (hopefully not anymore).....Please let me know what you ended up doing. I used to make it too thick and it chipped soo fast..... NOW I can see the free edge once the shellac 1st day is completed... once its done I check and its fine :pbut after that 1st day I can see the edge:( and after one week 8 days I can see it more:sad:!!! it seems like its chipping!! but it is not chipped! like the shellac shrunk!!. My other nail tech friend is able to apply shellac and last for a whole month and the tip is nicely sealed, but with me I CAN SEE THE NATURALS NAILS EDGE after one week . I scrubbed, applied base coat thinly and everithing,,, please let me know what worked for you. could it be possible that I am making it too thin now!! please help!!! I love shellac but its giving me 2 years of hard time. Now I have a great job that I dont want to lose!!! PLEASE

also I do think I apply top coat corectly... I dont get any color on the pad so I know topcoat must be fine. Also base coat I make sure its sealed (but maibe I should seal it more? aaaww) color I do thinly and lightly seal the edges...aawww will strongly appreciated!!:grr:

Last edited:
Just a thought . . . . is your client stuffing her hand in the lamp a bit vigorously and actually touching the back of the lamp with the free edge of her nails? That might cause a problem like that? x

Latest posts

Back