Shellac Rockstars: How do you do yours?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitkat84

Reaction score
Ok so for a while now i have been doing the Rockstars as follows:

1. PEP
2. Base - 10 secs
3. Colour coat (no cure)
4. Tap glitter on & press down
5. Cure - 2 mins
6. Brush off excess
7. Top Coat x 2 (maybe 3 until smooth curing for 2 mins each time)
8. D:Sperse

BUT today i have done it as follows and find it MUCH better:

1. PEP
2. Base - 10 secs
3. Colour coat
4. Cure for 2 mins
5. Using small brush, brush the glitter into tacky layer, cure 2 mins
6. Brush off incase of excess
7. Top coat cure 2 mins x 2
8. D: Sperse

It looks so much better and there is less chance of there being any bits that have sneaked up through to make a bit of a sharp bit.

Which way do others prefer??? Just curious :lol:

I use the second method. I did these today.

Attachments

• toes 001.jpg
    toes 001.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 2,856
  • blue glitter nails 003.JPG
    blue glitter nails 003.JPG
    84.6 KB · Views: 1,115
I do it the 2nd way also, pressing the glitter into the tacky colour layer.
x

I brush my glitter into the tacky layer...I love this effect! :)

Yeah they are lovely :) I did these today using 2nd method. ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1321808169.003283.jpg

I use the second method and because I leave a teensy free margin, I do not get glitter all over the skin of the nail folds such as seen in the first images posted. You get a much cleaner, pleasing to the eye and more professional-looking result IMO.

I use the second method and because I leave a teensy free margin, I do not get glitter all over the skin of the nail folds such as seen in the first images posted. You get a much cleaner, pleasing to the eye and more professional-looking result IMO.

i do this too. i does look much better

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

Ok so for a while now i have been doing the Rockstars as follows:

1. PEP
2. Base - 10 secs
3. Colour coat (no cure)
4. Tap glitter on & press down
5. Cure - 2 mins
6. Brush off excess
7. Top Coat x 2 (maybe 3 until smooth curing for 2 mins each time)
8. D:Sperse

BUT today i have done it as follows and find it MUCH better:

1. PEP
2. Base - 10 secs
3. Colour coat
4. Cure for 2 mins
5. Using small brush, brush the glitter into tacky layer, cure 2 mins
6. Brush off incase of excess
7. Top coat cure 2 mins x 2
8. D: Sperse

It looks so much better and there is less chance of there being any bits that have sneaked up through to make a bit of a sharp bit.

Which way do others prefer??? Just curious :lol:

I do it the second way, but it sounds like you have an extra cure in there that you don't need! It may be a typo, but here's my step-by-step, as taking the extra cure out could save you 4 minutes...

1) PEP
2) Shellac base coat - cure 10 secs
3) Shellac colour coat
4) Cure 2 mins
5) Using a Brisa brush (which I keep separate, specifically for my glitter work), press the glitter into tacky layer. *no cure needed here!*
6) Brush off excess glitter
7) Shellac top coat, cure 2 mins x 2
8) D.Sperse

Hope that helps :)

I do it the second way, but it sounds like you have an extra cure in there that you don't need! It may be a typo, but here's my step-by-step, as taking the extra cure out could save you 4 minutes...

1) PEP
3) Shellac colour coat
4) Cure 2 mins
5) Using a Brisa brush (which I keep separate, specifically for my glitter work), press the glitter into tacky layer. *no cure needed here!*
8) D.Sperse

I do it this way also, but thought that maybe curing after the glitter helps to eliminate excess glitter after brushing???

The second way is the only way I have done it, after watching Hollys video. It just seems to make sense. :biggrin:

1) PEP
3) Shellac colour coat
4) Cure 2 mins
8) D.Sperse

Ohhhh yeah of course your right. So i dont need that cure after brushed glitter on, great thank you :)

Ohhhh yeah of course your right. So i dont need that cure after brushed glitter on, great thank you :)

You're very welcome hun. That's what we're here for. *hugs*

I went on the course (which I now think was not necessary) with CND and they taught the first method. I now use both, depending on the look the client wants. The first method gives a full on glitter look, the second is more of a subtle glitter, foil-like effect.

I do the second method apart from one thing.
Instead of 2 x top coat which makes removal that bit longer due to the top coat having less solvents therefore less tiny tunnels created when curing I use a layer of clearly pink over the glitter and cure that before applying top coat.
That way its still takes the 10 mins to remove not longer.
It works a treat.
Jen xx
381609_10150392637922962_615977961_8375385_2050882959_n.jpg

376505_10150381699842962_615977961_8301592_1453578321_n.jpg

I've only just got into the Rockstar but I love it! I use the second method but had still done 2 coats of colour, is only one needed? This is my 2nd set of rockstar attached :biggrin:

Attachments

• Shellac Rock Star.jpg
    Shellac Rock Star.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 4,311
I've only just got into the Rockstar but I love it! I use the second method but had still done 2 coats of colour, is only one needed? This is my 2nd set of rockstar attached :biggrin:

I've tried it with 1 coat of colour and found the colour under the glitter looked patchy, it was my first attempt so maybe I didn't apply enough glitter?!

I now do 2 colour coats curing in-between and applying glitter to tacky layer.

Love it!!! :)

It depends on which glitter pots I'm using. If I'm using my craft fine glitters(which i find that they are not that fine) i use the first method. If I'm using the Irresistible glitters from CND then i will use the second method. I prefer the second method and i am getting round to buying more of the ultra fine glitters from CND and binning my craft ones.

Can i ask what colour coat you all prefer to use?

It depends on which glitter pots I'm using. If I'm using my craft fine glitters(which i find that they are not that fine) i use the first method. If I'm using the Irresistible glitters from CND then i will use the second method. I prefer the second method and i am getting round to buying more of the ultra fine glitters from CND and binning my craft ones.

Can i ask what colour coat you all prefer to use?

I like to use something pale as I honestly don't think u need a matching colour so Beau is fine for this :)

Thankyou. I will use my Clearly Pink has it is a colour rarely used. x
I like to use something pale as I honestly don't think u need a matching colour so Beau is fine for this :)

I offer both looks. I tend to find, like Karen using the craft glitters I am better using the first method due to the glitter not being as fine as I would like. However I did the second method on my toes in pink, using tutti frutti and they look fabulous.

I too will be purchasing the irresistable glitters soon, as I just love the tidiness of the second method. Makes feet a dream to do. And I'm not using up more glitter or top coat by doing this.

xxx

Latest posts

Back