Shellac vs "Not" Shellac - mini rant

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a shame people are having bad experiences :( i use opi gelcolor and no you don't have to buff (but a very light buff with a 240 buffer is recommended for oily skin/nail types) and it removes as easy as Shellac so goodness knows what practice is going on for all these damaged nails and hours of removal attempts :( all we can do is re-educate and retain clients through our proffessional services and standards, a bad technicians loss is our gain ;)

TWO things. First How about this to hang on your door?? Thanks to Mr NailZoo, Carl Anderson.

picture.php

2nd .. Look what is going to be published in GOOD HOUSEKEEPING Magazine!!

Questions answered for Good Housekeeping Magazine. Enjoy!

Explain why CND Shellac is so unique and the positive benefits of the treatment, which sets it apart from anything else currently available

In 2010 when CND launched CND Shellac, it was with a vision to give the consumer a better, long lasting and value for money experience when receiving a manicure or pedicure. CND Shellac™ is the original and only Power Polish service, empowering the woman with 14+ days of superior colour, no matter what life brings you. It actually allows you to improve your nails with an armour coat that says, "see you in 2 weeks".

The totally unique aspect of CND Shellac is that it requires no filing or buffing of the natural nails prior to application. This in turn allows the wearer to keep the health and integrity of their natural nails. Removal of CND Shellac is also unique as nails are NOT soaked in acetone but instead, ‘wrapped-off’ in CND’s unique Remover Wraps using CND Shellac Nourishing Remover. This gently penetrates the CND Shellac coating allowing the layers to flake off leaving a perfect natural nail underneath.

What is different about the polish removal system for CND Shellac, that sets it aside from regular acetone polish removers?

CND Nourishing Remover is a professional remover that not only removes CND Shellac, but also other nail coatings such as removable gels and nail polish. It’s unique as it reduces dehydration of nails and surrounding skin and eliminates the appearance of whiteness. It removes Shellac 20% faster than pure acetone and contains Macadamia Nut Oil and Vitamin E which softens and moisturizes; it also has an English Cucumber Fragrance which elevates the service experience. This is used in conjunction with CND Remover Wraps which are plastic-backed, self-adhering cotton wraps custom designed for gentle and efficient removal and allow for targeted application on the nails.

What are the do’s and don’ts when having a CND Shellac manicure – eg not to try and pick off the polish; what to do if you think that your nail technician is not carrying out the treatment correctly, such as soaking the nails for 15 minutes in acetone, filing the nail base, etc

In the UK we have created a website called Shellac and this allows the consumer to find REAL TIME CND Shellac professionals all over the UK. These professionals are qualified, have had unique CND Shellac education and many are CND Shellac Master Painters. These nail pro’s carry out the CND Shellac treatment and follow proper application protocol which means NO buffing or filing of the natural nails prior to CND Shellac application. It means they use the CND Shellac Lamp for a full and proper cure of the product and they do NOT soak nails in bowls of acetone but instead ‘wrap-off’ which gives a more enjoyable and elevated experience for their customers.

There are many cheap ‘me-too’ products out there so a great rule of thumb is... ‘If it doesn’t say CND on the bottle – it’s not CND Shellac’. Having any treatment is always a partnership between professional and consumer so everyone must play their part. Customers should regularly use CND SolarOil to keep their nails and skin hydrated and above all, they should not pick at the product or their nails. Like any coating, if it is picked off, it will thin the nail plate; proper salon removal will ensure that CND Shellac removes quickly leaving healthy and natural nail plates ready to be re-Shellacked!

picture.php

Shellac
© Sweet Squared 2012, all rights reserved. Exclusive UK Partners with CND and Minx. All Images © Creative Nail Design, Inc

Last edited:
Geeg do you know what issue this will be in. I will be straight down the shop it buy it to show my clients xx

Geeg do you know what issue this will be in. I will be straight down the shop it buy it to show my clients xx

We'll let you all know. Don't worry! :hug:

I've lost count of the amount of ladies I've had in with "Shellac" (which it rarely is) already applied that I need to remove and an hour later we're still no nearer to it budging because; either it's not Shellac, is a fake "Shellac" or is Shellac but protocol hasn't been followed and it's been baked right onto the nail.
I spend that time educating them and also use the Hoover example to demonstrate how the name Shellac is being used as a generalised term for Gel polishes and explain that Shellac is not a Gel and show them what they should be looking out for if they go elsewhere to have Shellac again as well as the questions they should be asking.

Every single time it becomes apparent to them that they've not been getting what they think they have and I end up with a new client :D

Yes it's frustrating that there are cowboys out there but they have come to YOU to get the real deal so that's good right? I've got a good few clients who have now stayed with me ever since because I'm honest, I use ALL the right products, I have a big selection of colours for them to choose from and best of all......I don't damage their nails ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

You will get allot of help in the UK via the media (from Samantha lol) and things like this from other helpful users, like Carl Anderson (aka Nailzoo) our gorgeous Aussie Geek. This image has gone viral on FaceBook.

picture.php

Attachments

• shellac .. nmot fake not a copy.jpg
    shellac .. nmot fake not a copy.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 229
Geeg can I be cheeky and use that picture on my fb, didn't want to do so without the ok from you or whoever I need to ask :)

You will get allot of help in the UK via the media (from Samantha lol) and things like this from other helpful users, like Carl Anderson (aka Nailzoo) our gorgeous Aussie Geek. This image has gone viral on FaceBook.

picture.php
Can I nick this for my Facebook geeg?

Can I nick this for my Facebook geeg?

Anyone using the full Shellac system is welcome to use it ... or we wouldn't have published it. If you are on the Shellac salon locator then it is perfect but be sure you are following all CND protocols and using all the recommended products or displaying that notice will be a lie.

I recently have gone for French shellac on my nails and every client I do a service on has mentioned them and said how lovely they look, a few have said what u have just said and just by educating our clients on the proper way of shellac it really changes their minds and more and more clients are booking in!

OK, what about clients who misinterpret what I do. For example, I may have a client who has minor flaking or peeling on her natural nails, so I will buff away any of that before applying my Shellac.

Now fast forward a month and she may go somewhere else, and if the next nail tech asks her about her previous Shellac application, she'll say without thinking, oh yes my nails were buffed and I'll get slated. I bet my bottom dollar she won't remember the explanation I gave her as to why I am removing any excess flaking!

And it's the same if Shellac chips, most customers won't admit to the fact that maybe they were hard wearing on their nails or that they peeled it off. They'll just blame the product, there's not really a lot you can do, we can try to re-educate but I'm not really sure that some of my clients actually take in what I'm saying! LOL

I agree with Lisa, I too have quite a few client that have flaking nails that I give a light buff over prior.
I would love to be on the Shellac Locater. I have been using Shellac since it first went on sale at Excel in March 2010 (I believe) I have loads of stock & always bulk buy at the shows, I use 2 lamps & have a new back up lamp. Do everything/removal/correct steps/use all CND products, I spent £400 a few weeks ago with sweet squared at the beauty show, but because this hasn't gone through the system like online or over the phone buying, I am not able to appear on the Salon Locater! Which I think is unfair x

I agree with Lisa, I too have quite a few client that have flaking nails that I give a light buff over prior.
I would love to be on the Shellac Locater. I have been using Shellac since it first went on sale at Excel in March 2010 (I believe) I have loads of stock & always bulk buy at the shows, I use 2 lamps & have a new back up lamp. Do everything/removal/correct steps/use all CND products, I spent £400 a few weeks ago with sweet squared at the beauty show, but because this hasn't gone through the system like online or over the phone buying, I am not able to appear on the Salon Locater! Which I think is unfair x

There is a different between a 'light buff' and removing delamination from the nail plate.

Emma do you still have your receipt from the show?

There is a different between a 'light buff' and removing delamination from the nail plate.

I agree, there is a difference between a light buff and delamination to a nail tech but to "most" clients they will see it as their natural nails being filed.

Yes, I do have my receipts, keep them all.
But with the salon Locater I think someone said you have to spend something like £100 every month or something like that. I am stocked up for many months & only a one-man band so wouldn't need to spend that much monthly x

I don't agree, for if that were the case there would BE no nail industry there are so many people giving a shoddy service.

It reflects badly on the cowboy who gave the service not the industry.

Shoddy builders don't reflect badly on good builders !!

Totally agree.

But it does make people wary.... but then that is no bad thing! The trouble is, the general public is not very well educated about nail matters and half the time they don't know what to look for in a service.

For goodness sakes, removing a little de-laminated nail is standard manicure procedure.

We would love to have you on the locator and you know what to do. It is impossible as I'm sure any reasonable person would agree, to cater for every single individual's circumstances ... We have done our best to see that those that are a part of the salon locator deserve to be. If you feel you deserve to be then register that by buying your products, not always at shows. The criteria is really not difficult. S2 have to be able to prove what you have and what you buy ... If you choose not to buy from them them, or only to buy at shows where it cannot be recorded, then they cannot do that. Do what you have to do or choose not to be registered on it. If S2 registered salons and businesses just on what people SAY then the whole thing would be a nonsense ... It is a question of also being fair to clients and seeing to it that they have the experience they are asking for with a genuine Shellac User. The salon locater is actually as much if not more, for the clients not just the technicians.

www.loveshellac.com

Last edited:
Yes, I do have my receipts, keep them all.
But with the salon Locater I think someone said you have to spend something like £100 every month or something like that. I
am stocked up for many months & only a one-man band so wouldn't need to spend that much monthly x

No one from S2 said anything like that, as it isn't the case! If you want to know the criteria then ring Sweet Squared rather than listening to random inaccurate comments.

There is no set amount that anyone on the salon locator has to spend. An operator does naturally have to be a regular purchaser though and purchase something every 60 days which S2 think is a fair amount of time in which to order ... If someone isn't purchasing every 60 days, then they really aren't doing enough business to warrant being on the salon locator and it would not be right to send clients to them.

If you are all stocked up now, then you will know what to do for the next time if you wish to be included at www.loveshellac.com . :D

You know, your supplier is supposed to be considered a partner to help you grow your business. If you keep yourself aloof from everything, then you can't expect to be a part of everything. I notice for instance that you don't say a thing about yourself in your profile here on Salon Geek ... You keep your distance and are on the fringe, which is entirely up to you, but you can't have it all ways.

Last edited:
We are a VERB!!! :D

If you have to say its 'like Shellac' then why not buy Shellac. You know why?? I know why. Because CND only sell to professionals not just any old bod who wants it. Because CND make people train. Because its not easy to buy CND. Because at CND we don't accept mediocrity.

If someone came into our salon asking for anything other than Shellac for UV colour what I would say is ... We offer something far better than that! And then I'd tell them why! :D
Hi Geeg,
Have you got a link or something that I can copy/post on Twitter regarding Shellac: Im sick to death of people coming in with what they say is "Shellac" when clearly it isn't!
So called nail professionals are telling them it is, or they say that what they use is "just the same as Shellac"! Sorry for rant but I'm for ever explaining myself, regarding, the real Shellac service, why my price is different & not ridiculously "cheap" & why it's NOT THE SAME! 😡
Thanks kindly 😉

Latest posts

Back