Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Just to see if they would last longer with topcoat and base coat :)

would it not be better using base before enamel then? or base colour base top,,lol xx

Hi Katie was going to do that but because the base coat from shellac stays sticky didn't want to get yellow mixed with the base coat, used sticky frist then two thin coats of color put each coat in the lamp for 180 seconds when dried base coat 10 secs then top coat 2 mins, text her today and she says they are lovely and shiny, she is back next week for me to do scuplts then she wants one yellow nail and one orange nail lol, so was doing this test to see if the shellac top coat would keep the varnish shiny and see how they wore for the week I didn't want to wait till the week she is going on holiday in case it didn't work :)

great, lol, worth giving things a little try sometimes hey, never know until you have a go;);)

Hi Katie was going to do that but because the base coat from shellac stays sticky didn't want to get yellow mixed with the base coat, used sticky frist then two thin coats of color put each coat in the lamp for 180 seconds when dried base coat 10 secs then top coat 2 mins, text her today and she says they are lovely and shiny, she is back next week for me to do scuplts then she wants one yellow nail and one orange nail lol, so was doing this test to see if the shellac top coat would keep the varnish shiny and see how they wore for the week I didn't want to wait till the week she is going on holiday in case it didn't work :)

Then it wont be Shellac and you can make no promises for it lasting or anything else.

Hi Geeg yes I told her I cannot guarantee them for 14 days but I think they will be fine :) I did tutti frutti on me then top coat then one of the effects and base and top coat again with shellac and they lasted over 14 days and only because I changed the color they came off, they are still on my toes now and its been a month, there is a pic of them on the shellac group on facebook and they look lush with the Rasberry effects on top. :)

Hi everyone. Got my order and have had a go. All good. Nails look fab apart from a dodgy bit of application on my right hand! My beauty therapist was too busy today to do it for me!
Have done several hair since I shellaced and can confirm that they still look perfect.

Here is a pic with the effects over the top. Not a brilliant picture but I was just trying it out :)

Attachments

• 29510_394482242873_727457873_4235687_8102265_n.jpg
    29510_394482242873_727457873_4235687_8102265_n.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 120
Does anyone use any other lamp rather than the CND one for curing Shellac? I was wondering if any lamp works.

NO OTHER LAMP works with Shellac but the CND UV Lamp. NOT marketing hype, not a joke, not a lie .... Shellac will not cure correctly under other UV Lamps.

Hi, am not wishing to contradict but we arent using the CND UV lamp and ours are curing fine and lasting. Have had mine on for 10 days now and they still look shiny and chip free :D

Hey Total,

It is a very common misconception that "it looks ok, its acting ok, it must be ok!".

However using the incorrect amount of UV output for an application can result in service breakdown (not always immediately) and more dangerous: overexposure and allergic reactions from overexposure which technically the professional could be found liable for as they chose not to follow manufacturers directions.

I am sure there may be some lamps out there that MAY produce similar amounts of UV output, but how to tell? You need very sensitive equipment that will cost you thousands. Why not cut to the chase, be safe and invest the nominal amount from the outset (er... well... when they are in stock :( )

Bottom line: Don't intermix systems unless you fancy instigating allergic reactions and being liable for the outcome. That includes intermixing L&P and mismatching UV systems with incompatible lamps.

PS - Any doofus trying to claim their lamp will cure any product is just trying to flog you their lamp and anyone making comparisons based on bulb count or wattage is demonstrating they do not understand UV cured products (or their components) at all.

Here is a great must read for anyone working with UV technology in our profession. Hope it helps!

http://www.schoonscientific.com/downloads/tech-articles/article-7-Secrets-to-Curing.pdf

Samuel

I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest! Geeg replied but instead of seeing hers I saw yours!

When i ordered my Shellac there wasn't any lamps available so we used a brand new UV lamp we had just brought in and hadn't actually used. The first couple of sets we did weren't lasting however every set we have completed since then have been great and have lasted, plus, the most important thing, the clients are happy. If someone can explain to me (in laymans terms..) am
not a nail tech) the difference between one lamp and
another, the pitfalls etc etc then I will happily change.

my response wasn't meant t contradict Geeg although that is what I did, I shall becareful of the words I choose next time!!

I certainly didn't mean to stir up a hornets nest! Geeg replied but instead of seeing hers I saw yours!

When i ordered my Shellac there wasn't any lamps available so we used a brand new UV lamp we had just brought in and hadn't actually used. The first couple of sets we did weren't lasting however every set we have completed since then have been great and have lasted, plus, the most important thing, the clients are happy. If someone can explain to me (in laymans terms..) am
not a nail tech) the difference between one lamp and
another, the pitfalls etc etc then I will happily change.

my response wasn't meant t contradict Geeg although that is what I did, I shall becareful of the words I choose next time!!
Doug is excellent at using laymans terms ... read the link that Samuel posted it is excellent and you do not need to be a nail technician to understand it.

Excellent article! I've printed it out, laminated it and have it in the salon for clients to read. (I have some nerdy clients!)

Latest posts

Back