should I charge for this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodabubble

Reaction score
In my old salon, if anything went 'wrong' with nails, I was instructed to always sort it out and never charge. However now I am working for myself I am thinking of doing things differently (as I believe doing constant freebies sends out the wrong message) Anyway, I have done a set of Brisa nno's (French) on a girl, who has short nails, but she is busy working 2 or 3 jobs plus she has 6 horses, so short is the best way to go. Just over 24 hours of me applying them she texts me to say that one has 'chipped' - although I think she means scuffed as opposed to chipped, and she did it whilst playing fetch with the dog.
I am seeing her this evening to fix it, I assume it will just be a quick buff, re-apply the smile line, and finish, but should I charge her? I gave her all the aftercare, told her she has to wear gloves when doing the horses etc, but Im not really sure what I should say when I see her tonight, any ideas? :)

Once they have left the salon the nails are their responsibility so yes hun charge for the repair,
one tenth of what you charged for the original set hth

thanks for the advice, I was really unsure of how to handle it, thanks :)

Too right you should mate, otherwise clients will have you running around like a headless chicken if they don't look after their enhancements! x

Ditto that ... no more freebies.

The minute you start handing out freebies, is the minute the clinet starts not looking after her enhancements!
If you are going to repair for free, then they wont care if the break a nail or chip a nail, because to repair the break or chip will be free!

Ive made this mistake, and I will say never again, peeps really took the P, now Ive stopped it, I rarely get anybody with any breaks.

xxx:hug:

Once they have left the salon the nails are their responsibility so yes hun charge for the repair,
one tenth of what you charged for the original set hth

Sorry Lou, I do not agree with the one tenth thing.

Doing one nail repair takes longer than doing one out of ten in a Rota.

I had a minimum charge to sit in a chair in the salon and that used to be 5 pounds sterling 7 - 8 years ago! Just my opinion. But if something takes 10 minutes then there should be a minimum charge JMHO.

Sorry Lou, I do not agree with the one tenth thing.

Doing one nail repair takes longer than doing one out of ten in a Rota.

I had a minimum charge to sit in a chair in the salon and that used to be 5 pounds sterling 7 - 8 years ago! Just my opinion. But if something takes 10 minutes then there should be a minimum charge JMHO.
:eek: OMG no wonder i never make any money lol :hug:

my repair price is more than one tenth....you should definitely charge for repairs hun, like the others have said, if clients don't have to pay for them they won't be bothered if they break or damage them.

set a price for repairs and stand firm!

xx

If a client damages a nail (s) and it has'nt been anything I have done I always charge for a repair, I only charge £3 (£30 for a full set of enhancements) but I am thinking of charging £5 minimum call out charge as I run a mobile service, so petrol time etc. Sorry kind of rambled on but yes you should definitly charge lol xx

I charge £3 NNO repair and £4 for tip/sculpt nail repair. x

Ok I'm going to be abit different to everyone else here.

When I do a fullset (not often). I ususally give them one visit back in for any changes without charging. I don't tell people this as I don't want anybody taking advantage. When they come in they come in I might take down the length or change the shape.

To me that's the price difference in my fullset ( it's a bit dearer then others here).

BTW My repair price is approximatly (sp) 20% of a full set.

Would charge and the way I have done so in the past is to look at the damage and before I did anything I looked up and said yep I can sort this for you it will only cost you £.... it takes a very brave peep to say anything other then, yes thats fine. If they do say, I thought it would be free, then stay firm and say, if it was my lack of skill then yes it would be, but its not, I did warn you they are jewels not tools.

well.....i dont charge !

How bad is that (and why i will never be rich !)

If it's a regular...(and lets say that regular comes to me every 2-3 weeks and has done for the last 3+years) and she has a disaster now and again...one here or there i dont charge (in the interest of good business relations)

If i had a pain in the arse client who did it all the time and was on my case (i havent had one yet !!and dont forget i dont do mobile so no travel expense) and it was clearly her being clumsy yes i would charge EVERY time to nip it in the bud.

Weighing it up then....as you are mobile...and she's told you its her fault after playing with the dog...i think you have to and i'd say the minimum call out is a good rule to start off with and stick by !

Amb xxxxx

i'd say the minimum call out is a good rule to start off with and stick by !

Amb xxxxx

OOps sorry I'm not think mobile. That's more time plus travel expenses for you. Definately minimum call out charge.

I think it depend on the situation. If she left my shop yesterday and accidently broke one, no charge. Stuff happens. But if it's been a week since her appointment, she comes in and says, "it just fell off", and looking at the nail, knowing there was no way it just fell off, then yes, she will be charged.

Now I also have one client that comes in for an occasional repair that I don't charge for. I would rather her come in, instead of popping her nails off, which she has been known to do, or to go somewhere else to get that nail repaired. Plus, in truth, I never charge her, but she always tips me nicely. Gotta do whatcha gotta do, to make them ladies happy!

Plus, in truth, I never charge her, but she always tips me nicely. Gotta do whatcha gotta do, to make them ladies happy!

exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:green:

well the outcome of this was thus: she popped over to my house last night - and I almost needed my glasses to actually see 'the chip' (which was more of a scuff, on the very tip of the free edge' I repaired it, and did not charge, mainly because I felt self conscious and embarrased about asking (ok, so I know I REALLY have to get over myself - any tips would be very welcome!) and also because the area I had to fill in was the size of a pinhead.......

However she DID say that she loved them, and wanted to keep up with regular rebalances, so I have decided that if she takes any more chunks out of her nails (which is pretty hard to do as I use Brisa and we all know it's tough as old boots, right?) then I will ask her nicely to wait until her next appointment, what do you guys think?

well the outcome of this was thus: she popped over to my house last night - and I almost needed my glasses to actually see 'the chip' (which was more of a scuff, on the very tip of the free edge' I repaired it, and did not charge, mainly because I felt self conscious and embarrased about asking (ok, so I know I REALLY have to get over myself - any tips would be very welcome!) and also because the area I had to fill in was the size of a pinhead.......

However she DID say that she loved them, and wanted to keep up with regular rebalances, so I have decided that if she takes any more chunks out of her nails (which is pretty hard to do as I use Brisa and we all know it's tough as old boots, right?) then I will ask her nicely to wait until her next appointment, what do you guys think?

Put in the after care leaflet that repairs are charged at £... per nail, then you don't have to say anything beyond £.. please.
Have to agree with what you did though, she came to you so no cost there, it was a small repair and the good will is going to bring you a regular client, so long as she's not on your doorstep every night:rolleyes:
I'm sure I read a great post by one of our geek goddesses on how to toughen up business wise, might have been Geeg or Sassy Hassy but I'm not sure.

ooh I never thought of putting that in my leaflets! I will edit them right away, so then at least they know!
Thanks for the tips, I know that I am such a pushover and really need to start being more assertive :)

Latest posts

Back