Should therapist pay for broken equipment?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

july

Reaction score
Hi, guy, as usual, I'm turning to this fantastic forum for some wise advise.
We have a fish pedicure unit in our salon and the therapists have been trainied how to maintain it daily. Yesterday one of the therapists pulled the flap so hard that it broke (it was hard plastic). She tried to hide it, it'#s only when I came in unexpectedly she admitted it she'd broken it a few hours before (the water got dirty as filter wasnt sealed and couldn't pick up the dirt). I've asked my supplier today and to replace it it's £179 (you have to replace the whole unit as it doesn't come in just the top).
Now in their contract it does state that if they broke something they have to pay for it and although I was never in the position to action it -I feel that I have now.
The girl is only a part timer, does 16hrs per week and I feel awful to take £179 from her £400 that she took home this month but then why do I have to pay for that?! I'm so tired with paying for everything, they don't seem to appreciate how much things cost, the other day I found in the bin a bottle of eyelas glue which cost £40 and it had 1/4 glue left in.
Sorry to go on about it, what do you say??
Thanks

Julia

Can't you claim it on your insurance? You can't be sure it wouldn't have happened to you if you had pulled the flap.:hug: the glue thing is a separate issue, I would tell them they need to show you the empty containers before they throw anything away.

Well it's totally up to you of course and you do have every right to make her pay for it, but I just wouldn't have the heart to make her pay for it (I'm too soft for my own good)

I know how hard it is to be a Salon owner and I know the Staff just don't get how hard it is and this girl obviously has no respect for your equipment.

I do feel however, that you might just be making an example of her by making her pay.

I would hold a Staff meeting and explain again to them that you have every right to charge them for breakages, as it's in their contract. Let them know you will pay this time but the next time it will be coming out of their wages.

I'm sure others will disagree with me, but that's just what I would do.

The flap, no I wouldnt ask her to pay for it, but I would have a word with her/all staff about owning up about breakages ASAP.And explain how much its costing etc...I would just put it down to accident, she was probably too scared to tell you.

And the glue, what the hell?? why on earth had they thrown it away?

I would ask them for stock control reasons to keep all containers before throwing them away, theres no excuse for it.

Kate x

Won't your insurance pay for it or is it too small an amount to bother with that route?

It's a difficult situation when staff break things but sometimes things happen.

I too think a staff meeting laying things out about taking care of equpt and not misusing supplies etc. etc. is needed.

Oh the joys of being a business owner.

Its a hard one ,
it hard to know if it was just a accident or just heavy handedness ,
but if you do decide to take the money and if thats in the contract then you have the right to,
you could take it in installments ? instead of a lump sum,

Not sure about the insurance, haven't thought of it...
Things is this girl also left a candle lit all night under a wooden shelf... The shelf was so hot in the morning, I'm lucky she didn't set the place on fire. I think she doesn't use her brain much and kindda had enough of her mistakes.
I'm shopping around to see if I can get a better price and I think I will take it from her wage in instalments.

Not sure about the insurance, haven't thought of it...
Things is this girl also left a candle lit all night under a wooden shelf... The shelf was so hot in the morning, I'm lucky she didn't set the place on fire. I think she doesn't use her brain much and kindda had enough of her mistakes.
I'm shopping around to see if I can get a better price and I think I will take it from her wage in instalments.

Oh my lord!

whats with this girl?

maybe time to take it down the disciplinary route?

x

Hey, yes defo make her pay for it! my contracts state that all breakages have to be paid for accident or not! why should u have to pay for it!!!! Just beacause we own the salons doesnt mean we are made of money and can keep splashing out! The candle thing is BAD, maybe use some LED ones, i had to do this when i had an airhead therapist!:lol: Also u need to check what they are throwing away, get them to check with u first before it goes in the bin!!! If u take installments take atleast £50 a month! :hug: x

If you are going to make her pay then i would take it all in one go incase she does a runner.

Candle issue- As an employer it is your duty to ensure your staff are performing to an acceptable standard. If anything was to happen due to the candles being lit unattended then you would be responsible. You could re-train her on health and safety or give her a warning.

Glue issue- Explain to her about the importance of keeping product wastage to a minimum. If you find her wasting products again, give her a warning.

Machine issue- Ensure all staff are trained on what to do if any equipment is broken- this could have been a health and safety issue. Check with your insurers on equipment coverage.

if you are within your rights to charge her then do so. end of. you're in business to make money not the other way around.

as for the candle thing then just be thankful that not only did your business not end up gone but that you and other staff wasn't seriously hurt or worse. x

Latest posts

Back