Skin Break out....

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarah_clancy

Reaction score
Hey geeks!

Ive hopped over from Hair, hope you dont mind!
I never suffered from teenage spots, but the past few months my skin is just awful, new spots/break outs everyday.

What do I need to be using and doing to get good skin again?
Im cleansing and moisturising, but mayb not using the right products?
I wear make up everyday, cant not.. I use estee lauder so its not cheap rubbish!

Thanks in advance!!
xxxxxxxxxx

Where are the breakouts? Have you taken any new medication? Maybe changed your contraception? It could hormonal? Are you feeling stressed recently?

Between my chin and cheeks, can't be contraception as I've got the mirena had it for well over a year.
Can't see a reason it would be stress... But who knows when your actually stressed!
What skin care would you recommend?
Thank you xx

Hmm strange. I would maybe recommend an actual skincare brand instead of Estee Lauder which is more makeup. But someone that specifies in skincare. Soo maybe Elemis or dermalogica or darphin. As for what to use you would be best maybe going to the counter and asking the girl what's the best.

It just seems strange that it's so sudden. Have you used Anything different at all? X

Have you used a different shower gel or shampoo? Xx

Sorry to jump in :/

I wear no make up now and still manage to have massive friends on my cheek under my nose and next to my eyebrow!

Im forever having horrible skin always something wrong with it. What products can I use to cleanse and smooth my skin. What make up can I use that wont affect my skin so much?

Thank you x x x

can you tell us

1. what skin products you are using (brand)
2. are you using a cleanser
3. are you using a toner
4. are you moistursing

then describe your skin

is it shiny, does it get oily around lunch time?
is it itchy
is it flaky

do you remove your make up at night?

would you class yourself as having changes in your skin every few months?

would you say you to tend to have hormonal skin?

can you tell us

1. what skin products you are using (brand) clearasil pads and scrub wash
2. are you using a cleanser no
3. are you using a toner no
4. are you moistursing yes with johnsons face cream :/

then describe your skin

is it shiny, does it get oily around lunch time? yes
is it itchy yes after washing or bathing
is it flaky on my forehead

do you remove your make up at night? i dont really wear makeup atall maybe on the odd saturday.

would you class yourself as having changes in your skin every few months? its always having outbreaks- little bumps under my skin especially on my forehead

would you say you to tend to have hormonal skin?

I wasnt sure whether you was asking me or sarah because I asked the same question but I answered anyway!!

Sorry for hi-jacking your thread :sad: x

Have you recently given your makeup bag a clearout? I was reading something in Elle not that long ago about the amount of germs that breed in makeup bags and on certain products.

Is everything in date? And been used within the number of months stated on the product? Are all of your brushes clean?

Maybe you need to change your foundation as your skin may be so used to the one you have been using (people regularly change shampoo for that reason) and it does not agree with your skin as it did when you first started using it. Use a new sponge or brush as bacteria may be in the one your using

Also try drinking plenty of water, natural detox and is great for the skin keeping it well hydrated.

All these suggestion, will be interesting to know what your cure is. This thread could cost you a fortune haha

Last edited:
I have PCOS; a hormone condition which causes break outs, blocked pores etc. I have had a short dose of skin specific antibiotics followed by quite a mild antibiotic gel prescribed by my Doctor and it has worked wonders, amazing after years of suffering that it has been so simple to improve my condition!

Just something to consider if it persists.

Good luck xx

Between my chin and cheeks, can't be contraception as I've got the mirena had it for well over a year.
Can't see a reason it would be stress... But who knows when your actually stressed!
Thank you xx

It could well be due to the Mirena coil it can be a side effect.It has just taken a while for your skin to react not sure how you would go about finding that out though other than having it removed and trying a contraceptive that can work to help the skin like dianette.

I have PCOS; a hormone condition which causes break outs, blocked pores etc. I have had a short dose of skin specific antibiotics followed by quite a mild antibiotic gel prescribed by my Doctor and it has worked wonders, amazing after years of suffering that it has been so simple to improve my condition!

Just something to consider if it persists.

Good luck xx

The doctor gave me some lotion that was like a bingo dabber....I found it brilliant! xxx

Thank you xx

Mirena does contain hormones and one of the known side effects from the Mirena is acne. It can take some time to set in.

Having been a sufferer of adult acne myself, I can recommend the following:

1. Do not use anti-acne medication. This will over-dry the skin causing sebum production to increase and making the acne worse.

2. Use facial wipes to cleanse (for sensitive skins). I used swispers they helped a lot.

3. Use jojoba oil to moisturise. It mimicks the skins natural oils and tricks it into thinking it is already hydrated therefore reducing excess sebum production.

4. Use mineral makeup (bismuth free). You will seriously be amazed at the difference mineral makeup will make to oily/acne prone skin and it will provide the coverage you need to hide any blemishes whilst your skin heals.

Hope that helps.

:D

Mirena does contain hormones and one of the known side effects from the Mirena is acne. It can take some time to set in.

Having been a sufferer of adult acne myself, I can recommend the following:

1. Do not use anti-acne medication. This will over-dry the skin causing sebum production to increase and making the acne worse.

2. Use facial wipes to cleanse (for sensitive skins). I used swispers they helped a lot.

3. Use jojoba oil to moisturise. It mimicks the skins natural oils and tricks it into thinking it is already hydrated therefore reducing excess sebum production.

4. Use mineral makeup (bismuth free). You will seriously be amazed at the difference mineral makeup will make to oily/acne prone skin and it will provide the coverage you need to hide any blemishes whilst your skin heals.

Hope that helps.

:D

Interesting advice. Are you a skincare therapist?

Yes, Mirena occasionally causes acne but it contains a tiny amount of progesterone as opposed to estrogen, and this usually lessens after 3 months.

Hey geeks!

I never suffered from teenage spots, but the past few months my skin is just awful, new spots/break outs everyday.

I wear make up everyday, cant not.. I use estee lauder so its not cheap rubbish!

Thanks in advance!!
xxxxxxxxxx

I'll give my two cents here.

I see that you have a son, many women go through horomonal changes every few years, especially after having a baby. And the location of your spots scream horomones to me. If it was a bacteria in your bag, it would be all over your face.

I would recommend trying a simple
cleanser like Cetaphil, and then using a pH balancing astringent and a moisturizer with salicylic acid. If you'd like something a bit higher up, I'd suggest you look into Environs B-active range. It's helped me immensely.

You can pm me if you'd like more info. I've been battling acne for 9 years now. I've been through it all! ;)

Interesting advice. Are you a skincare therapist?

Yes, Mirena occasionally causes acne but it contains a tiny amount of progesterone as opposed to estrogen, and this usually lessens after 3 months.

Hi. No not a skincare professional. After 10 years of trial and error with my own adult acne this was the only thing that helped. I literally tried every beauty treatment, acne preparation, acne medication available and it was going back to basics which very swiftly fixed it.

Synthetic progesterone is more likely to cause acne than estrogen and Mirena continuously releases this into the body. I was on the mini-pill at one stage (progesterone only) and this made my acne worse. I also have several friends using the Mirena IUD and they have the same "new" problem with acne as well.

What works for one person may not for another but the advice I have given has generally worked for anyone with adult acne who has tried it. Unfortunately most treatments for acne are harsh and make it worse rather than treating it gently.

Hi. No not a skincare professional. After 10 years of trial and error with my own adult acne this was the only thing that helped. I literally tried every beauty treatment, acne preparation, acne medication available and it was going back to basics which very swiftly fixed it.

Synthetic progesterone is more likely to cause acne than estrogen and Mirena continuously releases this into the body. I was on the mini-pill at one stage (progesterone only) and this made my acne worse. I also have several friends using the Mirena IUD and they have the same "new" problem with acne as well.

What works for one person may not for another but the advice I have given has generally worked for anyone with adult acne who has tried it. Unfortunately most treatments for acne are harsh and make it worse rather than treating it gently.

I agree and overloading the skin with strong products will probably do no good at all not when battling hormonal acne especially from the mirena it is the synthetic progesterone that is the problem.
Perhaps a visit back to the doctor is the best bet for you we could all go on giving you a whole list of dos and donts but the doc should probably be your first port of call at this point.

My suggestion is puramed professional glycolic cleanser,salycilic 2% and salycilic miosterizer salycilic acid is derived from willow bark and is a lipophilic pore cleanser also has anti bacterial and anti inflammatory properties puramed is a professional treatment line extremely effective
Puramedprofessionaluk.co.uk

Hey geeks!

Thanks in advance!!
xxxxxxxxxx

Advice is really not going to help much online because we can't see your skin and we don't know your daily activities or environment. You should really go see a local esthetician and ask for a skin analysis. Reasons for break outs can range from dehydration to dirty pillow cases.

Latest posts

Back