Slow cooker saddles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jellybaby1970

Reaction score
I have rediscovered my slow cooker and I am LOVING IT! :Love: I joined a FB site which has given me loads of recipes. I only used it for stews before but have now made chilli beef, pulled pork, Nutella swirls and even bread! I mean who knew you could make cakes?! I'm doing a whole roast chicken in it tomorrow and jacket potatoes the next night! There is no end to what you can do in it and apparently it costs 1p per hour on the low setting and about 14p for 8hrs on high!
I'm never using my oven again :lol:
Just had to share :wink2:

Hiya I used mine yest . A lovely stew. I'm interested in nutella swirls , please tell me how to do those !! And jacket potatoes I'm pleasantly surprised . Need to get googling some SC recipes. :) x

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

I slow cooked my dinner tonight beef and red wine stew delicious. Monday im making lamb hot pot in it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

I've done a roast in mine, also chilli and spaghetti Bol. I didn't know you can do all of what you mentioned! Thanks for sharing. I'm off to find that FB page now. :)

I slow cooked my dinner tonight beef and red wine stew delicious. Monday im making lamb hot pot in it.

How do I make this sound nice? Can you give me reciepe

I made a beef stew in mine yesterday. Planning to make onion soup in it tomorrow.

The Facebook group is slow cooker saddo's.

Someone posted a chocolate fudge pudding recipe on the FB page today which sounds really yummy.

How do I make this sound nice? Can you give me reciepe

My recipe is quite simple I kind of chuck everything in and season.

Ingredients:

Red onion chopped
Potatoes in slices or chunks
Carrots chopped or sliced
Cubed beef (stewing beef)
Mini bottle of red wine
Pint of beef stock
Salt to season
Teaspoon of sugar
Pepper (lots of if you like a kick)

I season more as I go along to get it just so. I cook it over night on low then give it a blast on high if veg and pots not soft enough. Or put on high for 5-6 hours until soft.

I then serve with broccoli or fresh bread (for dunking) or both :) xxx

I haven't done the lamb yet but will do it as follows:

Red onion chopped finely
Cubed lamb
Carrots sliced
Pint of lamb stock
Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Teaspoon of sugar
Then place sliced potatoes on top x

Ingredients:

Red onion chopped
Mini bottle of red wine
Pint of beef stock
Salt to season
Teaspoon of sugar

I season more as I go along to get it just so. I cook it over night on low then give it a blast on high if veg and pots not soft enough. Or put on high for 5-6 hours until soft.

Red onion chopped finely
Cubed lamb
Carrots sliced
Pint of lamb stock
Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Teaspoon of sugar

Sounds nice do you brown your meat first? Why red onions? And how many onions, will give it a try thanks!

Sounds nice do you brown your meat first? Why red onions? And how many onions, will give it a try thanks!

I don't but you can if you want. I find the beef is nice and soft even if you don't seal/brown it first. I use red onions as they are sweeter than normal ones, though you can use either or. I only use one medium onion. You're welcome enjoy :) x

Ingredients:

Red onion chopped
Mini bottle of red wine
Pint of beef stock
Salt to season
Teaspoon of sugar

Red onion chopped finely
Cubed lamb
Carrots sliced
Pint of lamb stock
Rosemary
Salt
Pepper
Teaspoon of sugar

Darn you Laura you're making me hungry! Xxx

Nutella swirls:
Cream 50g of butter and 50g of caster sugar together. Add 250g of self raising flour, 150ml of milk and 1/2tsp of bicarbonate of soda. Form a dough.
Knead a bit and form a ball.
Roll out into a rectangle and spread Nutella all over (you can use jam if you want for Jam roly poly)
Roll up along the long side to make a long sausage. Cut into 1.5 inch slices and put into the bottom of a greasedproof paper lined slow cooker in a single layer. Don't put too many in as they puff up a bit. Cook on low for 1-1hr 15 mins. The chocolate melts and they become like cakes. Absolutely delicious warm!
You could add cinnamon and mixed peel instead to make a sort of Chelsea bun.....yummy. :biggrin:

Nutella swirls:
Cream 50g of butter and 50g of caster sugar together. Add 250g of self raising flour, 150ml of milk and 1/2tsp of bicarbonate of soda. Form a dough.
Knead a bit and form a ball.
Roll out into a rectangle and spread Nutella all over (you can use jam if you want for Jam roly poly)
Roll up along the long side to make a long sausage. Cut into 1.5 inch slices and put into the bottom of a greasedproof paper lined slow cooker in a single layer. Don't put too many in as they puff up a bit. Cook on low for 1-1hr 15 mins. The chocolate melts and they become like cakes. Absolutely delicious warm!
You could add cinnamon and mixed peel instead to make a sort of Chelsea bun.....yummy. :biggrin:

Omg can't wait to make these now. Thanks jellybaby. X

Sent from my HTC One using SalonGeek mobile app

How do you make the pulled pork? Is it cooked in stock? I have to have gluten free food and its soooo difficult finding things that I can eat the same as the whole family so if there's anything I can whizz up in the slow cooker that we can all eat is a real help to me. Especially as I hate/am rubbish at cooking lol

Totally random but do any of the slow cooker pro's know how to make bbq pulled chicken? I had it once at a friend of a friends and she did it in the slow cooker. I've been trying to figure it out for ages!

I made pulled pork in mine last week, it was amazing! I just put a shoulder of pork in whole (took the fat off) a litre of full fat coke, a bottle of BBQ sauce and half a bottle of reggae reggae BBQ sauce for a bit of a kick! 7 hours on low and it was yummy! x

I made pulled pork in mine last week, it was amazing! I just put a shoulder of pork in whole (took the fat off) a litre of full fat coke, a bottle of BBQ sauce and half a bottle of reggae reggae BBQ sauce for a bit of a kick! 7 hours on low and it was yummy! x

Thanks! Doesn't the coke fizz round the pork though?!

Gina's skinny taste website has tons of low fat recipes for the slow cooker, or crockpot as the yanks call it. There's def some pulled pork ones and chicken chilli one is fab.

There's another I follow on fb, skinny slow cooker from skinnyms.com

Ill post any more I find in my news feed or favourites, had tons at one time.

Really need to get mine on the go again now!

I did a whole chicken in my slow cooker yesterday. It was lovely! I cooked it upside down with no liquid and then quickly crisped then skin in the oven at the end. It was really moist and fell off the bone. I made a cross of foil under it so it was easy to get out otherwise it would have fallen apart! I definitely recommend it to anyone! :biggrin: (was 4hrs high and 1hr low)
I am doing bread in it at the moment. My daughter made some on Saturday in her crockpot and it was amazing....really light and fluffy :D

Got a big joint of brisket, which I'll cook with stock, onions and herbs tomorrow. Will make onion gravy when it's ready. Yum!

Latest posts

Back