Smile lines or white tips

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkerbell80

Reaction score
Hi, i am starting a new job at a salon next week and did a nail course last week, we were shown to do nails bu using a natural tip and creating a smile line from white powder, I have been practicing this but feel a bit confused many of the girls on the course said that in salon they very rarely do this. They mainly just use a white tip and clear or pink powder. Please can anyone advise on what they do the most of of and why one method is better than the other... thank you

White powder is the way to go, you can always start off using white tips but I would cover them with white powder until you get the hang of creating the smile line with the powder. If you use white tips only and cover with clear you will find it is a problem when you need to do a backfill, how do the girls in the salon cope with this? no doubt they will be soaking off and re-applying because they wont be able to match up the white of the tip, even if they could they are not practised enough in creating the smile line themselves.

i dont think that one way is better than the other, but they do have quite a different look. the white tip gives a less natural look than using powder to create that look. however lots of clients favour the white tip, especially the younger clientelle. one thing you must be aware of is that it is crucial to have the skill in using the white poder in the tip area because you will need it when it comes to rebalance time.

i use both so i think its up 2 you! wot will they use in the salon that you will be working in?

I too was shown to do smile lines and friends were shocked as they had only had white tips with acrylic, which they said were quicker to apply. I myself have white acrylic and think it looks better only havin only qualified in October I have still to get the hang of smile lines. Practice I will to get them right.

the other thing to consider with white tips is that they do not suit everyone! what happens if you get a severe nail biter? if you stuck a white tip on it would be right up near the cuticle area and look ridiculous! You would need to place the smile line where it was supposed to be and camoflage the nail bed to hide the natural bitten nail underneath. IMO white tips only really suit a small number of people with naturally long nail beds...

Its white powder for me everytime, I dont like white tips at all, I like my enhancements to look natural which white tips are not, sorry, but my opinion. Also as already said you can not rebalance a white tip properly, and would have to soak off more, I think salons use white tips as it is quicker

french is not a natural look anyway. i love to see a really natural look nail, but it seems it is not the in thing.

its white smile lines for me, i use mostly brisa gels and do my smile lines with the POW gels. when doing L&P, i still use the white powder as i don't like white tips, especially for nail biters, they look arwful and un-natural.

Hi there, can I just ask those of you that do use white tips - what do you do when the client comes for a rebalance? I've never really used white tips so I'm sure sure how you go about doing this or do you have to soak off and start again?

kateyork1 said:
Hi there, can I just ask those of you that do use white tips - what do you do when the client comes for a rebalance? I've never really used white tips so I'm sure sure how you go about doing this or do you have to soak off and start again?

I have seen the rebalance done using white powder to mak e new smile line and fill in the growth area.

I rarely have a client that could carry white tips off....you need a nice long nail bed....and after a couple of infill's you would still have to end up painting a smile line on so whats the point....it really is better to practice and that way you have the choice rather than having to use them. Nail biters and white tips is a definite no no. xx

use both... if long nail beds and they want a "fake" look - which a lot do (in my neck of the woods) then use white tips. If you have a nail biter, that wants a natural look, then you would prob sculpt a nice off white rounded tip. .... I think you have to talk though what the client wants first and then go from there! EVERY one is different and I know most slag off STACY SLATER on east enders.... BUT hey she has white tips with pink/clear acrylic... applied in the right way... but not to everyones taste... but I still get people asking for me to apply her type of nails all the time!!!

NailStyle said:
I rarely have a client that could carry white tips off....you need a nice long nail bed....and after a couple of infill's you would still have to end up painting a smile line on so whats the point....it really is better to practice and that way you have the choice rather than having to use them. Nail biters and white tips is a definite no no. xx
infills for white tips.... apply white tips... infill growth every two /three weeks and soak off after 3 months.... what is the difference?

most of my clients like the natural look so I don't often use white tips:Love:

I used to use white tips all the time but now do pink and whites and find them more natural looking and all my clients prefer them. I wear pink and whites all the time except for special occasions when i bling them up.

Shelley

Shelley Clarke said:
I used to use white tips all the time but now do pink and whites and find them more natural looking and all my clients prefer them. I wear pink and whites all the time except for special occasions when i bling them up.

Shelley
that is cool. some peops WANT the stacy slater/footballers wives look (only way to describe it) most techies don't ... I show them what they can have, and then they tell me what they want.... it's a matter of opinion don't you think, and lets face it, if they want white tips and pink overlay.... how easy is that!!!! theyre happy, youre happy, lets go home!! lol:lol:

extensionten said:
that is cool. some peops WANT the stacy slater/footballers wives look (only way to describe it) most techies don't ... I show them what they can have, and then they tell me what they want.... it's a matter of opinion don't you think, and lets face it, if they want white tips and pink overlay.... how easy is that!!!! theyre happy, youre happy, lets go home!! lol:lol:
hi kirsten,
i have a number of clients who want the tanya turner/stacy slater look aswel. all i do is paint on the POW lower so they look like they have short bitten nails with white tips on:eek: .........NOT my kind of nail look but if thats what clients want, thats what i give......same with my own nails, i love very long nails and thats how i wear them, many clients ask how do i cope with everyday chores and working with them........I just can not cope with out them now cause i have been wearing them this long for years.

bling nails said:
hi kirsten,
i have a number of clients who want the tanya turner/stacy slater look aswel. all i do is paint on the POW lower so they look like they have short bitten nails with white tips on:eek: .........NOT my kind of nail look but if thats what clients want, thats what i give......same with my own nails, i love very long nails and thats how i wear them, many clients ask how do i cope with everyday chores and working with them........I just can not cope with out them now cause i have been wearing them this long for years.
cool, a lot of peops do like that look, and it's fine, and done in a professional way then if the client is happy and it lasts then we should be happy! natural is not to everyones tastes. i do tanning too.... and a lot of my clients say to me they want it to look "fake" gasp!!!! and they want their nails to match!!!! i.e. orange look with long square white tips!!! well, they are the client, they pay me... I do a good job.... and I give them Professional advice and a professional job... they are all very happy, even if it is not what I would choose to have!!! x x x :Love:

extensionten said:
infills for white tips.... apply white tips... infill growth every two /three weeks and soak off after 3 months.... what is the difference?

I dont soak nails off unless i have to ....all of my clients have infills till they are a natural nail overlay....if you are soaking off every 3 months...then you must have to cut off there own nails that have grown...so you can re-tip. I hate to cut natural nails off.

Latest posts

Back