So disappointed with the quality of OPI

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

*Zoe*

Reaction score
After a bit of research on products and potential clients I opted to start buying OPI polishes.

I have just made a big purchase of 16 polishes (just a start) top coat, base coat, hand soak, masks etc etc and was very excited to receive it.

However I have just tried out a couple of the polishes and feel a bit disappointed with the quality of the polish.

After one thin coat of colour it's very streaky, and after two it still doesn't look completely all one colour and still a bit streaky so I have to apply a thicker second coat, if that makes sense.

I bought them direct from Lena White so they are not fakes and the worse colour is 'Suzi skis in the pyrenees'.

Any out there who uses OPI had this problem? Anyone think OPI is good quality and this is just a bad batch?

I am hoping so or I have just wasted a lot of money :-(

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought one bottle for my own use, I also was quite disappointed, very watery, streaky and started to chip the next day whereas the Barry m ones I've got last for days.

I have tried many polishes before, Jessica, and Essie were my faves until i tried OPI, i love it :hug:

I use opi polishes and have had no issues but I haven't got the colour you mentioned.... I didn't get on with their snow for my French but that's down to the brush, I think I got too used to using my essie polish for this so the brush is thinner... sorry not much help but I'm sure other geeks will be along soon xx

oh i was just going to put a order in to start and use there polishes ,im a bit put off now.i though they had a good right up.:confused:

O.P.I is totally amazing if you use it properly. Some colours need a thicker second coat but its not a problem.
As for chipping the next day, if this is happening to anyone then this is you not applying it or not carrying out your prep properly!

I stopped using their base and top coat and started using the Lumos. Trust me, lumos is the business, your nail varnish lasts for ages!!

Love OPI. I do however use Lumos topcoat! :)

I use mainly OPI and love it. Have to be honest, I've not had a problem with that colour as I do have it.

Don't rate their standard base coat though to be honest

x

I read an article back in November that Coty was going to buy OPI. I wonder if that buy out actually took place?

I can tell you that some polishes in the Texas collection are very thin, but they were designed like that..."jellies." But I know what you mean, OPI was known for their thick consistency and ability to cover in one coat. I've noticed the consistency of some are thinner than they use to be.

I have just bought some stuff from O.P.I an I have tested the colours an they are all fine, not tried the top an base coat yet. I only got my first order on Tuesday so I will let you no how mine are xx

not tried their colours but their shatter effect is by far the best:)

I have used them for years and have had no problems even with the Swiss Collection colour mentioned.

The Coty buyout was well documented and Coty have always said that they do not intend to change anything about the brand i.e. marketing or quality.

The Coty buyout was well documented and Coty have always said that they do not intend to change anything about the brand i.e. marketing or quality.

That's good to know. Maybe it's just the "jellies." I really just don't like them. I'm just so use to the usual OPI consistency. The jellies are so sheer that my clients ask me to put on 3 color coats to get the coverage they're use to.

I love OPI and never have a problem with the colours, although the pirates ones seen to need a third coat to get the same coverage.
And I'm not impressed with the top coat, much prefer SS whoosh!
Although bought OPI quick dry top coat yesterday and so far so good!

That's good to know. Maybe it's just the "jellies." I really just don't like them. I'm just so use to the usual OPI consistency. The jellies are so sheer that my clients ask me to put on 3 color coats to get the coverage they're use to.
I've grown to love the Jellies! Although OPI call them "sorbets" they are still just jellies lol.

They are pretty spectacular layered, one coat jelly, one coat glitter, one coat jelly.

Love OPI. I do however use Lumos topcoat! :)

You should always use Lumos Top Coat along with Lumos instant impact Bottom coat! They are designed to work together and there are very definite reasons WHY they work better together.

Regarding OPI polishes, they are of course absolutely known for the quality of their polishes .... maybe you are expecting what is supposed to be a semi sheer colour, to be opaque when it is not designed to be opaque?

I know with CND Colour & Effects polishes, there are opaques, sheers and semi-sheer colours in the range and there is a little symbol on each bottle to let you know whether it is meant to cover or not.

You can't expect a sheer or semi sheer colour to cover! Maybe this is what is happening.

I do use OPI polishesd and have no problems with them at all.. i use alot for french manciures when clients just want a polish and if you apply the first coat very thin and then a second layer the streaking is not a problem, the more solid colours do go on lovely.

i used it for the first time with top and the ridge filler base coat on my mums toes, and it lasted ages with no chipping,

however i have now got Lumos and received a very good feedback from all the frnch polishes done over a weeks ago at a wedding party, polish is still intact so am happy.

I have also used Orly, which i did not get on with and china glaze i do not like the brushes at all.

sometimes one tech polish is anothers nightmare.. but i do think technique is important to ..

Sarah x

Hey I have tried out my base coat an it was fine no problems xx

I use O.P.I's and never had a problem. I use Lumos top & bottom with my O.P.I's aswell. I even use Lumos top with the bottom over enhancements because i love the bottom so much!

Hyjacking this thread a little .... i did buy a Nubar polish to try out and used it 3 weeks ago on a salon member. She wore a colour over enhancements with Lumos top & bottom and doing her rebalance today, she showed me what happened to her nails. The Lumos top coat had peeded off in places leaving the polish colour intact and the lumos flaking in area's! I've never had this problem with using lumos over o.p.i colours before. does anyone know what might of happened?

Latest posts

Back