Spray Tan Extraction Worries

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sam28

Reaction score
Hi, does anyone have some advice on spray tan extraction. The salon room that I plan to do the spray tanning in doesnt have windows etc.and I'm a bit concerned I and my clients are going to be overcome by fumes. Any suggestions ????? :eek:

Samantha

If you are doing a lot of tans you really need to get an extractor. Most companies will do them and the'yre not that cheap, but worth it.

You can reduce the amount of overspray by using a good solution (as mentioned we use celebrity secrets) and by setting your spray gun correctly.

Regards

Mike

If the slim mobile extraction unit isn't viable for you, you could get an extraction put in on an outside wall to extract the over spray.

Unfortunately the shop is back to back and there is no outside wall, will look into the mobile extraction unit. Thanks for the info. I've heard of some just using a large fan but surely that will just move it around ?!?!

Does anyone have any recommendations for extraction units.

My salon room is about 12' x 12' and I do a fair amount of tans and after about 5 or 6 in a short period of time the room smells a littleand the spray settles verywhere.

I know I need to get one soon so an idea in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

I use an extraction unit that I got from a tan supplier, (pm for details if you want info, I will dig invoice out) and its great. I got it about 2 years ago, and can do many tans in a day without a problem. In fact, the proof was in the pudding last week when I sprayed 3 tans without putting the extraction on, and I felt the room was a little cloudy! Well worth the investment I think! My room is approx 24 foot by 10 foot to give you some idea. hth:hug:

Thanks Kerry xxx:hug:

Air purification to spraytan areas is essential and also a requirement of healt and safety...
You can either acheive this by way of
1) Installing a wall mounted extract fan which draws the airbourne DHA particles outside of the room into the atmosphere
2) if you have no acces to an external wall then of of the many self contained air purification modules will do just as good a job..these units draw the polluted air across filters which draw out the airborne DHA particles into a filter which are simply removed and washed once in a while

You MUST have adequate ventilitaion/filtration otherwise you and your customer will feel very uncomfortable and you will hve a bigger mess to clean up each day.
There are many suppliers of these items out there:hug:

thanks Collin xx

Your saying the spray settles everywhere are you not using a cubicle? sienna does a great one where the extractor fits into the back hope this is ok for you xx

I am actually using the unit shown and supplied by Tantrick on their web page and can wholeheartedly recommend this as an extraction unit! I am using it in a area with a white and mirrored wall, with no cubicle and just a towel on the floor and it works perfectly!

And I got great customer service from Collin with it!

Your saying the spray settles everywhere are you not using a cubicle? sienna does a great one where the extractor fits into the back hope this is ok for you xx

I use a tent but I am lazy and want less clean up lol:)

I am actually using the unit shown and supplied by Tantrick on their web page and can wholeheartedly recommend this as an extraction unit! I am using it in a area with a white and mirrored wall, with no cubicle and just a towel on the floor and it works perfectly!

And I got great customer service from Collin with it!

Thanks Lyndsay xxx:hug:

Use a more natural solution!

Thanks for all the info guys x

Hi, does anyone have some advice on spray tan extraction. The salon room that I plan to do the spray tanning in doesnt have windows etc.and I'm a bit concerned I and my clients are going to be overcome by fumes. Any suggestions ????? :eek:

Hi.

Sienna do a great extraction unit which comes with 3 filters, which fits into the back of the tent and draws the particles from their air. Also you may want to look at how much your density dial is open on your gun and also how clost you are to the customer.

You will also find that without adequate extraction that the filters on your spraytan equipment will clog up far faster than if the room is adequatley ventilated/purified..if these are not kept clean and free of gunk the life of your equipment could be reduced.

For your own health as well as that of your clients, it is SO IMPORTANT to use filtration or even better extraction in your spray tanning area. The health and safety of filtration is taught in all good training sessions and should be put into practice!

I know how easy it is to think it will be fine to spray and not even wear a filtration mask let alone a portable unit but PLEASE take it seriously. Sometimes it was too warm to wear a mask, or the unit was another thing to carry around or the cost of buying a unit was off putting . . . I know all the excuses and have been found guilty of them myself!

There were many times I will admit to spraying without protection over the 6 years I was spray tanning and my chest was affected to the extent that my lung capacity was seriously lower than it should be and my breathing was affected resulting in my peak flow meter reading was half it should be for a person of my age.

Thankfully now I have more or less given up spray tanning, my health has improved but let this be a word of caution to you, even though there may be natural products in the solutions you use this can still cause problems.

Take care of yourselves

Mandy x

For your own health as well as that of your clients, it is SO IMPORTANT to use filtration or even better extraction in your spray tanning area. The health and safety of filtration is taught in all good training sessions and should be put into practice!

I know how easy it is to think it will be fine to spray and not even wear a filtration mask let alone a portable unit but PLEASE take it seriously. Sometimes it was too warm to wear a mask, or the unit was another thing to carry around or the cost of buying a unit was off putting . . . I know all the excuses and have been found guilty of them myself!

There were many times I will admit to spraying without protection over the 6 years I was spray tanning and my chest was affected to the extent that my lung capacity was seriously lower than it should be and my breathing was affected resulting in my peak flow meter reading was half it should be for a person of my age.

Thankfully now I have more or less given up spray tanning, my health has improved but let this be a word of caution to you, even though there may be natural products in the solutions you use this can still cause problems.

Take care of yourselves

Mandy x

I think this clearly demonstrates the need to follow health and safety guidelines as well as the good advice given by trainers when spraytanning in confined spaces.

ALWAYS ensure there is adequate extraction/air purification for the safety and comfort of both you as the operator as well as for your customers.

If you are being asked to spray in an area where adequate protection is not available simply do not do so until such times as the work area is suitable for the nature of your work you are undertaking.

I have been spraytanning for over 9 years now and many times high volume spraying (at show's etc)..I will not and never will spray without protection and cannot for the life of me understand why some people do...would you go for a drive in your car without wearing a seat belt.

I am happy to say that by following sensible proceedures I have never suffered from any respiratory problems whatsoever and see no reason why that shouldn't continue provided I follow standard proceedures for safety when applying a spraytan.

So happy and safe spraytanning Geeks :hug:

Latest posts

Back