Spray tan gone orange?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michelle g

Reaction score
My beautician does spray tanning in my salon, she had a
client on tuesday for a spray tan.
I have received a call from this client this morning saying
she looks orange:eek:. (like an umpa lumpa)
the thing is my beautician is off this weekend and I do not
do spray tanning and have not seen the client so cannot comment
on her colour.
I have advised the client to come in on tues to see the beautician
as she was booked in on that day for a top up anyway.
But why has this happened? never happened to anyone before.
we have the shadez machine and use cocoa bay from sunquest
in the different shades.
just looking for some advise about this to stop it happening again.
plus I do not know a great deal about spray tanning.
any help and advice would be much appreciated xxxx

Everyone goes different colours even with the same product. It all depends on the natural skin colour and the clients natural ability to tan.

A consultation with the client before hand to establish the colour they would normally go in the sun, along with past reactions to tans helps me to decide which colour tan to use.

My partner goes orange with some tans like St Tropez. And I mean orange! He dosnt tan in the sun. However I use Fake Bake on Him and hes fine. I think it has something to do with the tan having both EHA and DHA in it, that creates a more brown colour.

I have never had experience with cocoa bay products so cant say for sure how they react.

Other reasons can be attributed to a client not sticking to the after care.

Dont panic, mistakes are always easily rectified with a free treatment!!! We all have little hiccups in business.

could be that a too dark solution was used for her skin type...

It is quite difficult to pass advice on without seeing the client and going through a consultation again to see if the correct solution was used.

My main concern is though is why did this client not ring you on Wednesday about this?!?!?! to ring you over 4 days later would give me great questions about this - and makes me think that perhaps the client put something on her skin afterwards which has affected it 4 days later.

has she been applying a tan extender which has small amounts of dha in it?

has she been applying a tan extender which has small amounts of dha in it?

That is what I think she has done too lotus blossom. There is no way she would have left it so long otherwise.

Thankyou for your replies.
I too was a bit suspicious about not ringing until today!
do you think she should be sprayed again on tuesday with
a lighter solution? I am not sure without looking at the client
record card and consultation form what colour was used
My beautician is trained in tanning and will probably know
what to do but I thought I would ask your opinions aswell
as I don't know much about it.
I did ask the client what she has been putting on her skin
and she said it began with an L but didn't know the name of it,
but I think this was just a body wash.
thanks for the advice so far x

I look as if I've been tangoed if I use St Tropez - either spray or lotion. I go a lovely golden brown with Fake Bake. Strange that she left it so long...

Could it be she is after a free tan?

Im getting worried now ........ st tropez goes a lovely colour on me but I had a Fake Bake yesterday and now Im expecting to go orange!!! Hope Not!

Im getting worried now ........ st tropez goes a lovely colour on me but I had a Fake Bake yesterday and now Im expecting to go orange!!! Hope Not!

If you had the tan done yesterday then you would know what colour you are going to turn out like by now.

My beautician does spray tanning in my salon, she had a
client on tuesday for a spray tan.
I have received a call from this client this morning saying
she looks orange:eek:. (like an umpa lumpa)
the thing is my beautician is off this weekend and I do not
do spray tanning and have not seen the client so cannot comment
on her colour.
I have advised the client to come in on tues to see the beautician
as she was booked in on that day for a top up anyway.
But why has this happened? never happened to anyone before.
we have the shadez machine and use cocoa bay from sunquest
in the different shades.
just looking for some advise about this to stop it happening again.
plus I do not know a great deal about spray tanning.
any help and advice would be much appreciated xxxx

hi michelle we used to use coco bay all the time at the dance school my wife runs and you will find it is all down to the skin type and not the fluid !! 99 times out of 100!!!! we have about 50 girls per w/end sprayed and all look diffrent in the same fluid we have a fair girl that we spray in the coco bay dark that will not change at all but try our brand on her and looks fab
you will always get this.. im sure she will be fine about it ...i hope

Generally orange is caused from too much DHA - so too much solution has been applied or a colour level too dark for the clients skin has been used

Hi I wouldn't advise topping up her tan again as you cannot keep putting tan on top of tan as the pores will get clogged, it may even go patchy. Has the tan been mixed with drops? Because it can depend on how much DHA has been added however the body can only absorb so much DHA. I have never used the solution you are talking about so cannot comment on that. Maybe the percentage was too high for the clients skin type. As other geeks have said it depends on certain skin types what should be matched. Hope this helps xx

Latest posts

Back