Spray Tanning - Beauty UK Review

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fozzyo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Well I had a fun trip to Beauty UK yesterday, overall a good experience though some stands I was a little unsure of their suitability. But I digress.

Spray tanning is something I am hoping to add to my practice in the future and I have chosen the company I wish to partner with to develop that business. But it is always good to find out about others to validate a decision.

So I thought I'd share some thoughts with you about what I found yesterday and my first-impressions of some of the bigger players in the industry that were at Beauty UK.

This comes from my point of view, a male therapist looking to build a male client list. And as someone who has spent a lot of time at trade shows on both sides of the fence in various industries I thought some feedback may be of use for marketing your own tanning services.

Sienna-X
Pink. Very pink! We are talking Hot Pink pink here. Enough with it already! Pink tanning booths (they did have a black one too), pink packaging, pink POS and leaflets. Pink pink pink. Not a good look - and really put me off. Great if you want to market purely at the 17 - 25yo's but a lot of guys and more sophisticated clients not likely to be too drawn to them.

Celebrity Secrets
Initial impressions, nicely presented stand - tan booths on display, product range out in display cabs. Lots of staff around, nice looking POS and leaflets. Good promotion of the three stage tanning process (pre-tan, during tanning and aftercare) to ensure a good long lasting tan. Changing facilities always good.

I spoke to one of the Directors. No passion or enthusiasm as Buffy sang in one of the best moments of TV history - just going through the motions. Telling me how great the solution is and all the vitamins that are in it and then repeating that for each retail product very quickly becomes very boring. But nice range of products, some a little bit girly maybe - the pink exfoliator for example. But nice neutral packaging and sizes and prices. And the leaflets supplied are good - factual and informative and great for guys and girls. No specific male marketing.

Sun Factory (or similar)
I heard QVC mentioned, I walked away.

Fake Bake
For all the size queens out there - bigger doesn't always mean better! FB had a huge stand, lots of staff who managed to do a great job of ignoring me whenever I went there. Not that you can miss a 6'2" skinhead in a bright red t-shirt easily. Hey ho, so didn't really get to talk to them - but the impression I got wasn't favourable.

Again a bit too much emphasis on the use of pink for my liking, use it, promote it, play with it by all means. But it should be an accent colour and don't put all your staff in it, even if it is different shades.

Right, products - looked good, nice to see some male specific products on display. Didn't really see much promotion of them unfortunately. I seem to remember that most of the emphasis was on the right side of the stand - not much happening on the left when I walked past.

St Tropez
Now this is how you do a big stand! Lots of ST staff around in black - classic and perfect, different tanning systems and extractions in use. Staff to look after those in the queue for tanning and a nice seating area to chat to clients about the products and services on offer. Though not many staff here that were easily recognisable and did seem to become a sitting area for bored show visitors occasionally.

I didn't talk to ST as they were promoting the Salon systems which I am not interested in at the moment.

Overall / In Summary
For me a poor showing, can't say anyone really excited me enough to want to explore changing my product choice. If they had I'd have been stripping off to get a tan. For my money, if I was on a stand and had a guy interested in the product I would really focus on them, encourage them to try it out to see why its suitable for men and how the market isn't being targeted by other companies and what an opportunity it is. But since non of these companies are really targeting us guys as therapists or clients non of them did.

At the start of the post I said I'd found a company I hoped to partner with. For me that is a key word, in any product range or service I offer I look for a company to work with who will promote me, help me develop my service and sales and will take on feedback from my. My success helps there success. Too many of the companies I spoke to just wanted to sell tanning kits and not develop a relationship with their team.

So looks like I'll be sticking with my original choice. Just got to get the clients interested, and money coming in to pay for it now I guess.

Mat xx

Hi Mat,
sorry you have not managed to see anything suitable for you and the needs of your new buisness venture at the show.

There are many manufacturers out there that see the male side of spraytanning as being a growing market and many provide apropriate marketing material so don't give up...keep looking and im sure you will find what you wan't.

you are quiet right that what you will be entering into is a partnership between you ,the manufacturer and of course the consumer...it's good to hear that someone recognises this :hug: (not wishing to bring up the E Bay thread :eek:)
Happy hunting and hope you find what you are looking for.

Matt there are other companies out there that were not at the show that would send you samples and info if you want. These exhibitions are a huge expense to some companies and just because they are not there doesnt mean they are not any good.

Do a search on the site as there are loads of tanning threads and you will see some of the more popular ones and they were not at the show so give them a call and get them to send you some samples.

Good luck !!!!

I've done a load of research into tanning an the companies around, and as I say I have found an excellent company who I am looking forward to working with and who are probably leading the way for guy tans.

The companies at Beauty UK were only a tiny handful of those in the industry - this wasn't a tanning specific event and personally if I was exhibiting not an event i would choose to be at. But I just thought i'd share my views of how companies preseneted themselves in a very competitive market.

Well Mat, who is it? Who have you found? Seeing as you are as big a fan of Aloe as I am I can make an educated guess, but would like to have you say it:) Just to see if I'm a smarty pants:green:

It will be our Collin with his lovely Tantrick range.

Last edited:
Hi Matt

Thankyou for sharing your thoughts about Siennax....I have mentioned before I found it to young and to pink and the age group was too narrow. When I was looking around for a Spray Tan, I wanted to be treated like a partner too, after all we all enter into buisness partnerships with our suppliers!.

I am 40 , my clients are from 16-96!!!, (although the 96 year old doesnt tan), I want something suitable for everyone, my point is that men and those over 25 are not in my opinion catered for, im begining to think the beauty and tanning industry think if your over 20 your over the hill :)

Well - this has changed my decision I think!! I was going to train with Sienna X, have booked my training day. Now Im not too sure. Im new to the beauty/tanning business and am wanting to attract a full range of clients. Has anyone using Sienna X ever only had young women as there clients or have you found that over 25s still contact you?

Would love to hear from anyone that has an opinion as I am considering not going with Sienna X anymore after reading this thread xxx

Sienna X as are most of the other brands out there very good companes all offering a good product,excellent training and after sales support.

I think the key issue is to consider all these factors ..have a good look around..ask lots of questions....remember you are entering into a buisness relationship with your chosen brand/supplier and one which is important to maintain on an ongoing basis....a win win situation for all parties concerned.

In addition to the obviouse considerations to make (solution etc) brand identity/association is also one of the utmost important issues to look at.

Good luck with finding the right brand that suits your buisness and the customers that take up the services you offer them :hug:.

I use Sienna X & know what you mean about the pink. It doesn't fit in with my neutral treatment room & when I opted for them I was originally told they were developing a more muted 'spa' look packaging to go alongside the pink as another choice.

Unfortunately, at my training, when I asked about this again it was admitted it was a non runner! (grrr!)

Having said that, I am really happy with the Sienna tan as I think the product is fab. All my clients love it and I have all ages from 19 up to ladies in their 60's who just like their legs done! Oh & I also have male clients who aren't put off at all by it.

The downside for me is that the retail products packaging really jars alongside my more classy looking ranges. (and I really hate the suggestive, lewd names & strap lines on alot of the products & posters. I no prude but just don't see the point of them).

I get round this by re naming them slightly (so I talk about the 'tan extender' rather than 'Make it Moist' etc), I just display them on the bottom shelf of my display cabinet & bring a small sample of them out after the client has dressed to discuss with my aftercare advice. Unfortunately, the posters are just too tacky for me so I have my own.

This works fine & I do quite well with the retail too.

Hope that helps with your decision. I am happy I went with Sienna but I am still hoping they will listen to the views of their therapists about the packaging sometime soon as I do know they are aware this is a problem for alot of their stockists.

I use Sienna X & know what you mean about the pink. It doesn't fit in with my neutral treatment room & when I opted for them I was originally told they were developing a more muted 'spa' look packaging to go alongside the pink as another choice.

Unfortunately, at my training, when I asked about this again it was admitted it was a non runner! (grrr!)

Having said that, I am really happy with the Sienna tan as I think the product is fab. All my clients love it and I have all ages from 19 up to ladies in their 60's who just like their legs done! Oh & I also have male clients who aren't put off at all by it.

The downside for me is that the retail products packaging really jars alongside my more classy looking ranges. (and I really hate the suggestive, lewd names & strap lines on alot of the products & posters. I no prude but just don't see the point of them).

I get round this by re naming them slightly (so I talk about the 'tan extender' rather than 'Make it Moist' etc), I just display them on the bottom shelf of my display cabinet & bring a small sample of them out after the client has dressed to discuss with my aftercare advice. Unfortunately, the posters are just too tacky for me so I have my own.

This works fine & I do quite well with the retail too.

Hope that helps with your decision. I am happy I went with Sienna but I am still hoping they will listen to the views of their therapists about the packaging sometime soon as I do know they are aware this is a problem for alot of their stockists.

It is a bit odd that they have almost pushed themselves into a corner of the market, young women basically.It is all very suggestive advertising.It was one of the reasons i didnt even consider them. I couldnt see myself in a t shirt that says ''Make it moist make it last''
I did buy my tent from them though and they were very helpful and they sent me samples which i havent tried yet.

It is a bit odd that they have almost pushed themselves into a corner of the market, young women basically.It is all very suggestive advertising.It was one of the reasons i didnt even consider them. I couldnt see myself in a t shirt that says ''Make it moist make it last''
I did buy my tent from them though and they were very helpful and they sent me samples which i havent tried yet.

I agree Gill. I have been looking into tanning suppliers and I didn't even want to know what their product was like because theres no way I would ever use their POS promotional material!:rolleyes:

I have chosen to go with Couture. Couture - tanning solutions and tan equipment

Latest posts

Back