Spray Tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Holliexx

Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

Just looking for some advice on spray tanning! Me and my mum are looking to do a course and i just wanted to know what courses people recommend eg..Fake Bake? Sienna X? St Tropez?
Also how much did you pay for your course and machine etc..

I have a full time job but am free of an evening and my mum works evenings so we are thinking about doing it together and her doing days and il do evenings as most people are busy during the day!

Just really want a rough idea of how much we are looking at spending on the course and materials really,

:rolleyes:

Suntana is the product i use, I paid all in £750+ for ALL equipment and accesories and solutions to get started * not all bought from the same place ! I paid £65 a course as i did them at college but was looking into a training session with sienna x as they are coming soon and heard so much about them!x

Couture provide excellent spray tanning courses. I am a trainer in the Essex area for Couture. They offer the training for 60.00 and tanning machine including a free litre of tanning lotion for 175.00. You would also need a spray tanning tent which are around 100.00.

So altogether with most companies your looking at around 350.00- 400.00 to start up. But spray tanning makes the profits back very quickly!
Hths x

Thanks for the info!

As we will be doing it mobile is there any other tips you could give with regards to advertising and things..

Sorry so many questions but we just want to do it the right way!!

Once you have completed your training i always advice my students to advertise for models for spray tanning and explain to your clients that you are new and looking to build up your experience and start by charging 10.00.
Once your at a stage where you are confident and spraying very well then advertise as normal at a normal price you wish to charge which is usually between 15.00-25.00 depending on your area.

Its great to have a website they do bring allot of business your way, leaflet drops, business cards, word of mouth. Basically anywhere you can put a leaflet put one and anyone you can tell about your service tell them!

Hths x

make sure you get all the little things as they help alot

* record cards
* leaflets / with your contact number etc on it
*business cards
* website ( that helps bringin lots of business
* posting your tanning business online website's like - gumtree etc

Also little thing's like
* sticky feet
* diposible hairbands
* exfoliating wipes
* disposible gloves your yourself
*couch roll

xxx

posters aswell for shop windows!x

I am going to be completely honest with you.

Spray tanning is not going to make you rich quick, and you have to work really really hard at promoting and advertising your business and if you and your Mum are ready for all the hard work it takes to build up your business then go for it, but don't expect miracles.

There are some great courses out there and some good solutions and we can all spout off about which course and solution is best. At the end of the day the choice is down to you.

Once you have done your training I would in your case practice on one another and maybe your sister/dad/brother/cousin, but I would not be advertising the fact that you are new to spray tanning to any paying customer - do you want them thinking you are not confident in what you are doing. By doing this in my opinion you are setting yourself up for a fall, some people will try all sorts to get a free tan out of you and as a newbie tanner how are you going to cope with that?

I have been spray tanning for over 6 years and was a trainer with WOW Factor for two. WOW Factor courses are usually run on a 1-2-1 basis or in your case it would be 2-2-1. I only have experience of one other spray tanning course which I initially took which quite honestly rubbish and I got a total of 20 minutes training - not good. WOW Factor training will last approximately 4 hours and is probably one of the better ones out there with a good reputation.

At the end of the day, you have to decide.

Once you have done your training I would in your case practice on one another and maybe your sister/dad/brother/cousin, but I would not be advertising the fact that you are new to spray tanning to any paying customer - do you want them thinking you are not confident in what you are doing. By doing this in my opinion you are setting yourself up for a fall, some people will try all sorts to get a free tan out of you and as a newbie tanner how are you going to cope with that?

I would have to disagree with this as i advertised for models when i first started and this wasnt a problem at all. I still have regular clients from doing this.

If the lady was to advertise like normal and charge 15.00-20.00 and makes a few mistakes when spraying the client then the client will certainly be back to complain and spread a bad word to people.

Where as if she was to advertise for models at 10.00 and something goes wrong the client is less likely to complain as 1. they paid less amount 2. they were fully aware of the fact she is new and wouldnt want to put her down.

There are lots of companies out there who have a good reputation, Nouvatan, Sienna X, Tantrick to name a few off the top of my head!!

I trained with Tantrick one to one, and can honestly say after my training I only did a about 3 more tans before I felt fully confident in my abilities to charge full price. I cannot fault my training at all, and felt that it gave me the skills, knowledge and confidence needed to get straight out there......I think it really helps that it's one to one.

Ring round a few companies and ask them questions.........and just because you train with one company doesn't mean you have to stick to their solutions, again ring around and most of them will be happy to send you a sample so you can find a solution that you're happy with.

All of the companies I've mentioned do a "starter kit" and stock good quality solutions and equipment.....and their customer service is also excellent.

HTH Lou xx

Hi there!

I have just completed my training and I am loving spray tanning so definately go for it. It is really good fun.

My 2 cents - and really just my experience :)

I trained with Fake Bake through college and the training was shocking!! Most of the morning was spent talking about the retail product range - they skipped through the books - didnt tell us about the machines, the kits, how to use the machines, clean the machines, look after the tents - basically I came away and only when I started to do it myself realised how little content was in the "training".

In the afternoon we did all go through the application process twice - definately the best bit and worth while but again no information about why to do things this way or any problem solving - thank god for you tube and other sources of info available on the web.

I bought my kit from Suntana - the maxi mist plus (same one as can be found in most kits out there), including tent and 750ml of solution for a really fair price and I have also decided to invest in the Sienna X solutions as it is a well known brand and the solutions were really competitively priced.

I dont feel ready to tan the public so I am doing friends and family for rock bottom to cover the cost of the stuff - so far I am finding streaks/other areas I can deffo improve on so hopefully eventually will be ready. I am planning to start advertising soon - via website and leaflet drop and hopefully it will all work out :)

Good luck with it anyway - above all just enjoy it :)

Thank you to everyone!

Im definately not going to rush into it at all!

Its something that we want to do and i will be sure to let you know how it all goes! First thing Monday i will be calling around and enquiring aboout courses and prices etc..

Thanks again everyone! and if anyone has anything to add please do!

NO need to rush into anything at all. Get a feel for the suppliers and products that are out there. Ask lots of questions and do more research on your area. Make a list and get lots of info. there are lots of very good suppliers out there!

What competetion is out there near you? how far are you prepared to travel? what earnings are you both looking for? what investment can you put in ? what marketing will you do? what makes you different? ( why should people come to you?)

Lots of questions I know but they are all worth spending time and consideration on.

One thing to remember, who ever you decide to train with , just make sure you are able to gain insurance with their certificates. Ask them who has accreditated them and then give that company a quick call to check first!

tigi
xxx

How much do people pay for insurance roughly?

We are trying to make a list of outgoing costs...

its about XX with ABT (association of beauty therapists) (each person).then of course you'll need to find out how much extra car insurance you might have to pay (you'll need to have social, domestic and business on your car).

tigi

Last edited:
There are many insurance companies you could deal with once trained by an accredited trainer, it does depend on your budget and some companies wont insure all aspects of spray tanning so be aware of that when looking at some of the cheaper companies ( not going to mention prices as we are not supposed to)

Try
The Beauty Guild
Babtac
Professional Beauty
Salon Gold

Hope this helps

thank you for pointing that out steve, i have amended my post, I hadnt even realised i had done that ( cant do two things at once!) was making a leaflet AND geeking......... duh!

I did my spray tanning coure with Sienna x> they ae wonderfull, and have great after care if you come in to any problems which is what you need. i got an all in package with them around £695.00 included course x3 lots of soloution pop up tent gun and lots of disposables and promotional material, also got 200 samles of sienna products.

after doing my course i texted and emailed all my friends and family members and did a promo night did tan's for £10 did arounf 20 tans and after doing all them was confident to start charging.

i personaly do not thing posting leflets works its a waist of time, do a fb tan for each person give business cards and do loyalys on them i get 10% of the 6th tan. Also do tanning parties (best income as lots of profit, onlt 1 lot of petrol and only setting up your equipment once). i charge £15 per tan and the host gets there tan for free when they have 5 paying guests. also give free samples to all guests and a free bottle of wine for the host. Also after doing all tans i give by contact details and ask if anyone wants to re book an appointment on that day.

i offer 10% of next tan for anyone who introduces a friend. i also take all contact details at the consultation and i ahve had pot cards printed with moon pig with pre writen sencence on it saying happy birthday and that in the month of there birthday they are entitled to 10% of there next tan.

also if you go a good tan they wil keep coming back al you need in 10 reg customers and you have a reg income. Good look and keep us posted

Grab as many of your friends and family as you can!! There is nothing wrong with saying to these people that you are new at doing this - they probably already know anyway!
I charged £10 per person and told them I am practicing that's why they get discount. I asked all of them to give me HONEST feed back about their tans. This is how you learn from what you are or are not doing right.
I would not advertise this to a new client.Your mistakes while learning could cost you clients. But that's just my opinion. I practiced my ar** off until I was happy to charge a paying client.

I use Sienna x I love it. I love the colour, the smell, the retail products, the fantastic customer service that you recieve every time, the way I even get a text to say 'your delivery will be with you at....oclock'. They are just fab!
xxx

Hi there
I just wanted to say that I have just done my training with fake back at home and I thought they were fab. it cost 499 for everything - pop up tent, machine and gun, sticky feet, flyers, price lists and other various leaflets to hand out as well as 1 of every product in the retail range oh and 2 bottles (one original and one dark) spray tan solution.
We did go through the retail products on training briefly but I think this is quite an important aspect as your clients will need to maintain their tans by using moisturises and exfoliators and if you can sell products to your customers as well you will earn yourself quite a few extra pennies!
I have been spraying friends and family at a discounted cost to get some practise in but dont think I would advertise to a new client that I had just started.

I did enquirer with st tropez about spray tanning but they wanted in the thousands to start up (which seemed like a lot of money when Fake Bake could get you started up to 500)

Fake Bake and St Tropez in my opinion are two of the most recognised fake tanning names out there and this helps as they can to an extent sell themselves.

Latest posts

Back