Spraying a dancer - where did I go wrong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kizzycat

Reaction score
I have finally got the after photo of the dancer that i sprayed on Tuesday. I have put them in my album,

She followed all the prep and always has tans so knows what to expect. I used 16% nouvatan on her and as you can, she barely changed colour, she went from white to off white! Do you think something as simple as not shaking the bottle could have affected this? this was the first time I had used the bottle. The mother went darker than daughter with onlly 8% even though the daughter usually goes darker in the sun than the mother. You can see the results that she is used to getting from other fake tans she has used in the past. As you can see they need to be really really dark. they are not bothered how the tan fades, just how the tan looks on the day. I am even thinking of suggesting leaving the guide colour on until after the competition although I would problaby have to use a different solution just for the dancers (to one that has a really dark guide colour) which I really dont want to do.

can anyone shed any light on it? I have 2 more dancers to do tomorrow and I am going to try again with the nouvatan 16% but am giong to use the booster drops to take it to 18% and then if that doesnt work, I will spit my dummy out of my pram and sulk :lick:

I have finally got the after photo of the dancer that i sprayed on Tuesday. I have put them in my album,

She followed all the prep and always has tans so knows what to expect. I used 16% nouvatan on her and as you can, she barely changed colour, she went from white to off white! Do you think something as simple as not shaking the bottle could have affected this? this was the first time I had used the bottle. The mother went darker than daughter with onlly 8% even though the daughter usually goes darker in the sun than the mother. You can see the results that she is used to getting from other fake tans she has used in the past. As you can see they need to be really really dark. they are not bothered how the tan fades, just how the tan looks on the day. I am even thinking of suggesting leaving the guide colour on until after the competition although I would problaby have to use a different solution just for the dancers (to one that has a really dark guide colour) which I really dont want to do.

can anyone shed any light on it? I have 2 more dancers to do tomorrow and I am going to try again with the nouvatan 16% but am giong to use the booster drops to take it to 18% and then if that doesnt work, I will spit my dummy out of my pram and sulk :lick:

Was your gun still wet? If there is ANY water in the gun or canister the tan will not take.

I would have thought that any water in the gun would be sprayed through when the colour started to come out?, Cant imagine that it would cause a whole body not to take?

Did she definately not apply moisturiser beforehand, no moisturising bubble bath or shower gel?

I haven't tried it personally but hear that LA Disco 18% is great for dancers and body builders, maybe try a sample of that on her?

Very odd:(
I think it could be a few things, 1) the bottle not shaken 2) she has used some kind of shower cream before the tan that is acting as a barrier. 3) how old is the girl, it's hard to tell from those pics but is she at hormone age? I know that it affects my tans.
4) did you spray enough solution on her? I know if my gun is too low this can also affect the outcome but there is a fine line between too much and having loads of overspray and not enough being too cautious........
If I was in your situation I would like to spray the same girl again with 16% shaken bottle and a little more solution over her and see what happens after that.

HTH xx

Gun was definitley not wet. I had sprayed her mum with 8 first and didnt change any settings on my gun. no moisturiser, nothing beforehand.

I would have thought that any water in the gun would be sprayed through when the colour started to come out?, Cant imagine that it would cause a whole body not to take?

Did she definately not apply moisturiser beforehand, no moisturising bubble bath or shower gel?

I haven't tried it personally but hear that LA Disco 18% is great for dancers and body builders, maybe try a sample of that on her?

Very odd:(
I think it could be a few things,
1) the bottle not shaken - It's a possibility
2) she has used some kind of shower cream before the tan that is acting as a barrier - she said she hadnt and is a seasoned tanner
3) how old is the girl, it's hard to tell from those pics but is she at hormone age? I know that it affects my tans - she is 12
4) did you spray enough solution on her? I know if my gun is too low this can also affect the outcome but there is a fine line between too much and having loads of overspray and not enough being too cautious - I hadnt changed my setting after spraying her mum and she turned out lovely

If I was in your situation I would like to spray the same girl again with 16% shaken bottle and a little more solution over her and see what happens after that = yes I am going to do that and I think I might try an extra few drops of booster too.

HTH xx

After speaking to her mum about her normal tanning habits and how they achieve the colour in the photos, I am told that they apply their fake tan from the bottle the night before but do not wash off the guide colour. obvisouly this ends up all over their costume which can cost in the region of £1000!!

What I am thinking of doing, just for the dancers is finding a tan that has a really dark guide colour and develops really dark, this might be somewhere near to the colour they want to achieve. Ideally I would like them to wash the guide colour off, but for the colour they want to achieve Ithink they will have to leave it on. I have ordered samples of tandare and fake bake dark. I am also going to try my LA Disco on both of the dancers tomorrow and see if actually does do what it says on the tin (as they will be doing disco lol) I think this might be what I have to use as it is double dipped. I might do the dancers tomorrow for free to test the disco out and take some before and after photos. Mother had said that she could just take some bronzer with her to apply onthe day but to me that defeats the object of relieveing the clart on of having to apply it

Sherrie I tried Jan Tana the other day and they no longer do a spray tan solution :sad:

I had this problem when i started tanning, as i had dancers who needed to be really dark, i used the 16% sienna and from talking to several people in the dancing world, some don't wash the tan off, but they said the spray tan is really to get a good base colour and everyone I've talked to regardless of what tan they use all apply an instant bronzer on the day of the competition.
I've also had a few clients who just don't take to a 16% and are darker with lower percentage solution, odd but their skin just doesn't take it.

I have never had any problems with any thing from Nouvatan and i have been using there products for 12 months now, are you sure you were close enough to the body as it needs to be damp when it hits the skin? If you were standing 2 far away then its just the bronzer that hits the skin and this will wash off i always have my gun around 6 inches from the skin ?

If you were standing 2 far away then its just the bronzer that hits the skin and this will wash off i always have my gun around 6 inches from the skin ?

agree that you need to spray 6 inches away but not sure about the bronzer hitting the skin??? :confused:

The most popular professional dancer / bodybuilder tans are

Show off (which is now available in the uk)

Super Brown (which is german)

Profi Brown which is a wash off tan that you fix with a sray fixative (by the same german company)

And american brand pro tan.

Most Dancers will be aware of tan transferring onto costumes and some of the more expensive heavilly jewelled dresses cannot be washed, a trick of the trade which i was slightly alarmed at is they clean them with vodka !!! what a waste!!!

hope that helps

Have you used the Tan since are you sure there isnt something wrong with the bottle? Something like maybe wrong solution in bottle or labled wrong?

OOh I will work my way down your list lol. I have tried quite a few now getting the right colour.

I am waiting for a sample of show off but havent heard of the others. I am using LA tan disco at the minute as it seems to do the trick.

Can I just reiterate that I am really happy with my Nouvatan solution for people who want a normal holiday tan, but these dancers want EXTREME! lol. and even when I spray them with the la disco, they leave the guide colour on to get it extremly dark. I think it helps that the la disco has a double bronzer.

When I get the photos back of the dancers you wont believe how dark they want it - I mean like Whitney Houston!!

I have got a sample of stage tan by aviva to try also and waiting for them to send a sample of tango tan, these are for the smaller dancers as they are basically just a bronzer with no DHA. do the others contain DHA?

The most popular professional dancer / bodybuilder tans are

Show off (which is now available in the uk)

Super Brown (which is german)

Profi Brown which is a wash off tan that you fix with a sray fixative (by the same german company)

And american brand pro tan.

Most Dancers will be aware of tan transferring onto costumes and some of the more expensive heavilly jewelled dresses cannot be washed, a trick of the trade which i was slightly alarmed at is they clean them with vodka !!! what a waste!!!

hope that helps

I dont get the white to off white look

As far as im aware, when you spray you have a hint of colour? and I have used around 7 tan brands over the last few years.

If you have bought your solution legitimatly, then I would say the problem has to lie with the client - it must be down to the prep she/he did before hand or even as much as the night before.

They may like to lather loads of oil on, you never know - but it sounds to me like you couldnt even penetrate the epidermis layer (top layer)of your clients skin where it should sit and develop. This would tie in.

Do you give them a leaflet? or is it done verbally over the telephone, the prep talk?

Clients who have them regularly are always in my opinion quick to go yep, yep, yep....but with the hot weather weve had, they may have used sunoil, sun lotion, all act as a barrier

Latest posts

Back